Echorec Equals What Pedal Plus What Other Pedal?

Player99

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Player99 View Post
I have so many pedals that I must be able to get close to the Echorec without buying yet another pedal... What would give that sound?

It seems like Delay + Reverb + Chorus. But I am not as familiar as some.
It's not a reverb or chorus, really. Just a modulated multi-head delay so I suppose if you put the chorus on the repeats only that'd be sort of similar. The main things, though, are the tone knob and the 12 different multi-head delay setups. The modulation is there but I wouldn't say it's integral to the sound as you can turn it off and it still sounds right.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

It's not a reverb or chorus, really. Just a modulated multi-head delay so I suppose if you put the chorus on the repeats only that'd be sort of similar. The main things, though, are the tone knob and the 12 different multi-head delay setups. The modulation is there but I wouldn't say it's integral to the sound as you can turn it off and it still sounds right.

So how about Timeline--->Echo Park--->DM3--->Zoom Choir (Delay + Chorus) ---> old Peavey Digital Reverb....?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by spoonie g

View Post

I think what makes the rec unique is that the repeats are pretty square-wave. The timeline can get some similar sounds, but I'd have to play around with it to see if it will get the echorec sound. I'm guessing it will get sort of close.

Let me know if you get something. I thought if I added a couple of other tape style pedals like the Echo Park with the TL it would act like extra heads. Then some reverb to give it that "hall" reverby sound.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Zappa74 View Post
{censored}in shark doesn't know what a rec pedal is.
{censored}ing toothgrabby shark cop.gif

i'd think a Skreddy Echo + Echolution + neunaber WET reverb would get you pretty close. Maybe throw a Carbon copy or the echolution in the skrecho's loop or something

• Members

If you have a delay with stereo outs & a multi-tap mode with feedback, that can get you into similar territory rhythm wise.

I've put my SMMH in multi-tap to a feedback loop to try to do echorec sounds but I don't think it gets the rhythm quite right. If you watch a video demonstrating the original echorec on youtube you'll see how you really need something built to emulate it in order to match it rhythmically.

• Members

things that have worked for me--but definitely arent perfect:

1. Line6 M9. Multitap patch--set all 4 heads to 1 repeat. send that out to the Echoplatter (or whatever modulation/tape sim patch or pedal). use the tap tempo sync--so that the 4th head repeat matches up with the repeat of the other patch. iirc, it's like sixteenth note tap for the multitap and quarter note for the other patch.

2. SMMw/H. Set to 4 hard repeats--send that out to another delay and do your best to match up the 4th repeat with the repeat on the other delay.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Zappa74 View Post
Their repeats sound clang-y to me.

I'd recommend running a railroad crossing bell into your delay for optimal echorec toans.
I've seen some crappy youtube videos where the echorec is "clangy". I have a Binson and it is anything but clangy. Poor recording quality and poor tuning of the Binson seems to me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Player99

View Post

Let me know if you get something. I thought if I added a couple of other tape style pedals like the Echo Park with the TL it would act like extra heads. Then some reverb to give it that "hall" reverby sound.

I can't say I'm too familiar with an echorec, but know of the sound (and have owned a space echo before). I messed around with the timeline for a bit and the one model that really seems to get close to the pgs video is the Dual Delay, especially with the "Time 2" parameter set to 4/3 or 5/3. I'd have to hear them a/b'd to really know whether I'm really getting close, but of course, it's only two delay lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived