Compared 2 Klons and a Klone today.

• Members

So, I've got a buddy who works at Motor City Guitar here in Detroit. He kept telling me he'd call when their shipment of KTRs came in, and it came in the other day. He owns a JHS Klone, and I owned a silver Klon, so it seemed like the perfect time to do a comparison.

Our thoughts:

We were the least impressed with the JHS. We kept having people turn their backs to the pedals and listen while my friend played, and when people were going in blind, the JHS always ranked as the least favorite of the 3. That said, the JHS doesn't sound bad by any means, there is just something special about the Klon. Flame away for that comment. Haha.

IF there is any difference in sound between the original Centaur and the KTR, it was incredibly minimal. Definitely not something you would ever hear in the context of a band. The two pedals really do sound pretty much identical, as well as they should. Again though, in a band setting, you probably wouldn't notice the difference between any of these 3, but the JHS just seemed to lack something compared to the real deal.

In any case, I walked out of there with a KTR today, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. I had been nervous to gig with my Klon anymore, due to their ridiculously inflated prices, but thanks to the KTR, I can happily gig with that Klon tone again. Mmm.

Here is a quick video of my friend playing around and switching between all three.

[video=youtube;RHA8qDlsPlI]

• Members

never like my JHS Klone much. but i had a friend build one that i tried out and i loved it. never would have thought the differences in different klones would be so large considering every one of them claim to be true to the original circuit :idk:

• Members

never like my JHS Klone much. but i had a friend build one that i tried out and i loved it. never would have thought the differences in different klones would be so large considering every one of them claim to be true to the original circuit
:idk:

It's magical unobtanium clipping diodes that make the Klon sound like the Klon. That's apparently one secret Bill Finnegan has managed to protect, because I haven't read anywhere what the original Klon diodes are. Supposedly that's why he quit building the original Klons, he ran out of his special NOS germanium diodes. Don't know what he's using for the new ones.

• Members

It's magical unobtanium clipping diodes that make the Klon sound like the Klon. That's apparently one secret Bill Finnegan has managed to protect, because I haven't read anywhere what the original Klon diodes are. Supposedly that's why he quit building the original Klons, he ran out of his special NOS germanium diodes. Don't know what he's using for the new ones.

He stopped making them because he was tired of doing it himself and couldn't see himself doing it the way he had been for the next 20 years or whatever...afaik there was no diode shortage - Bill just wanted to bring the Klon overdrive into the 21st Century.

It may be made with SMDs, but it sounds better than any klone and that's what really matters.

• Members

It's magical unobtanium clipping diodes that make the Klon sound like the Klon. That's apparently one secret Bill Finnegan has managed to protect, because I haven't read anywhere what the original Klon diodes are. Supposedly that's why he quit building the original Klons, he ran out of his special NOS germanium diodes.
Don't know what he's using for the new ones.

two iphones running in series

• Members

Thank you for the review. It seems like the general consensus is that klon and ktr sounds pretty much identical.

I've never played a klon or klones myself, but I was finally able to score a KTR and it's coming my way next week.

I can't wait to see how it will work with my rigs.

Archived