Rat clone on bass.

Prehistoricpain

• Members

So I had a friend/customer come to me with the need for a new dirt pedal for his bass rig. Now, I'm not all that polished up on my bass tone knowledge, so I tried a few designs, a bazz fuzz deluxe with clean blend, a muff, and then under a tip from a few forumites, I decided to try a rat.

:love::love:

I made the input and output caps just a tad bigger, and dear sweet baby jesus, the rat is better on bass than it is on guitar! cuts very well in a mix, and sounds nice and thick and fuzzy. :):love: :love:

• Members

I had Blake from Blakemore Effects make me a Rat Clone that was specifically designed to be used with bass. I wanted better control over the eq, and a mixable clean signal.

What he ended up making for me was a Rat copy that would do Rat and TurboRat specs plus a clean blend with and a bass and treble eq instead of the low pass filter on the OG Rat. Also, it has a fadeable Reutz mod.

It's an awesome sounding pedal, as good as my rusting old 80's small box Rat that he used to tune it with. With the mixable clean blend, it's a monster for bass!

Pic!

IMG_2977.jpg

• Members

I had Blake from Blakemore Effects make me a Rat Clone that was specifically designed to be used with bass. I wanted better control over the eq, and a mixable clean signal.

What he ended up making for me was a Rat copy that would do Rat and TurboRat specs plus a clean blend with and a bass and treble eq instead of the low pass filter on the OG Rat. Also, it has a fadeable Reutz mod.

It's an awesome sounding pedal, as good as my rusting old 80's small box Rat that he used to tune it with. With the mixable clean blend, it's a monster for bass!

Pic!

IMG_2977.jpg

wow, that takes care of that, nice

• Members

I'd say play with the filter a bit while you're at it.

Clean blend should be super easy if you want to do that too. If you use a dual op amp, you can do one for the Rat and one for the blend, and really not have it cost you a ton of space.

minbblender.gif

Vr should be 4.5 volts, I think, so just make a simple voltage divider, and you're good to go!

• Members

Maybe this is heresy, but I never liked the ruetz mod on my rats. If I wanted a subtle overdrive, I wouldn't be buying a rat! :lol:

The MOAR will have a clean blend, variable input cap blend, and switchable clipping options. I'm really having a hard time seeing why the lm308 gets the status is does, the 3130 sounds exactly the same after some adjustments, and has less noise!

• Members

Maybe this is heresy, but I never liked the ruetz mod on my rats. If I wanted a subtle overdrive, I wouldn't be buying a rat!

I wouldn't call my Ruetz Rat "subtle" at all- it's still got that nasty, ratty (so to speak) sound we all love, just with bottom end and a little less gain.

• Members

Maybe this is heresy, but I never liked the ruetz mod on my rats. If I wanted a subtle overdrive, I wouldn't be buying a rat!
:lol:
The MOAR will have a clean blend, variable input cap blend, and switchable clipping options. I'm really having a hard time seeing why the lm308 gets the status is does, the 3130 sounds exactly the same after some adjustments, and has less noise!

I'm the opposite, I don't like it's saturated sound.

I use it to add some presence and grit, it leaves the midrange open and doesn't cloud it up.

Archived