09. 19:56 "It's Only Love"
10. 21:56 "I Like You Too Much"
11. 24:35 "Tell Me What You See"
12. 27:16 "I've Just Seen a Face"
13. 29:25 "Yesterday"
14. 31:34 "Dizzy Miss Lizzy"

• Members

TICKET TO RIDE

John Lennon: "That was one of the earliest heavy-metal records made." The brief, but recognizable guitar solo was played by Paul McCartney, who was The Beatles bass player. This was used in the Beatles movie Help! in the scene where The Beatles ski... poorly. This was the first Beatles song that was over 3 minutes long.

The Beatles played this on an episode of Ed Sullivan Show that aired September 12, 1965. It was the last Ed Sullivan show broadcast in black and white. The Beatles were in America for their big Shea stadium concert. The Carpenters covered this in 1969. It was their first single and also the name of their debut album.

Don Short, who traveled with the Beatles in the '60s, recalled that John coined the phrase "Ticket to Ride" for another meaning - The girls who worked the streets in Hamburg had to have a clean bill of health and the authorities would give them a card saying they were clean. Don later said that although he specifically recalls John telling him that, John could of been joking - you had to be careful with him like that.

http://beatlesnumber9.com/fact.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pewtershmit

View Post

Phil I love you, but to call any Beatles album underrated is just silly. They are all very highly acclaimed.

Always will be one of my favorites, pot smoking Beatles > psychedelic Beatles

The movie is so great

I really like the movie a lot too. It's not quite as good as AHDN, but it's close.

But I'm sticking by my opinion on the under-rated part. smile.gif Please allow me to clarify: I consider it under-rated by Beatles album ranking and rating standards. It seems like people talk about this album a lot less than say, Rubber Soul, and they were released within a few months of each other, and IMO, are pretty equally brilliant.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

The alternative possibility for the reference is to Ryde, on the Isle of Wight. John and Paul once took a trip up there, hitchhiking part way, to see Paul's cousin, who owned a pub in Ryde.

Yes this is considered fanatical folks, awesome and inspirational, much love.gif.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus

View Post

Whenever I hear Mono Beatles recordings it makes me angry that they made them stereo at some point and thought it was better.

1. They usually made the stereo mixes shortly after completing the mono mixes - often the same day or week. The Beatles were very interested in, and contributed to the mono mix sessions.

2. However, the stereo mixes were considered of much lesser importance, and the Beatles themselves largely left that task to George Martin and the engineers at EMI. By all accounts, they really weren't very interested in the stereo mixes, and almost never attended those mix sessions, which perplexes me a bit, since there are so many artistic possibilities and fun sonic things you can do with stereo, and they were always into new things, new sounds, doing something "different."

3. Some recordings were really only available in mono due to the way they were originally recorded. This is mainly very early material. Some of this was artificially "stereoized" with studio trickery later - in some cases, many years later. Other albums, that they used multitrack recording on (via four track decks), could be mixed in stereo (actually "panned mono"), but due to the limited amount of tracks, there is considerable "track sharing" on the tapes (multiple instruments, at different parts of the song, sharing a single tape track), and limited tracks and options available for panning - resulting in some of the "weird" panning you hear on mid-period stereo Beatles albums.

4. Some material is only available in stereo. For example, there is no mono version of Abbey Road. As you might imagine, this is only late period stuff.

• Members

Good call Phil. Help! is my favorite Beatles album. Just about every song is brilliant and beautiful in a different way. My only gripe is that You Like Me Too Much and Tell Me What You See are just kind of crumby tunes. But you could chuck both of them and have a perfect twelve song album.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus

View Post

Whenever I hear Mono Beatles recordings it makes me angry that they made them stereo at some point and thought it was better.

i picked up a mono (american version) rubber soul recently. rubber soul (british version in stereo) was always at the bottom of the list of enjoyable beatle albums for me. it has been an eye/ear opener listening to it in mono and also the selection/limited songs on the american version is superior to the british release. (yes, i understand the beatles were upset about it and thusly made the butcher cover to make a statement)

• Members

Yes, sometimes 60's records sound better in the original mono mix. And some of the stereo remastering thru the years have been disastrous.

In the 80's when I was building up a Beatles vinyl collection I inadvertently bought some old mono copies -now I'm happy about it.

Pink Floyd's 'Pipers' in mono is an ear orgy.

St Peppers definitely sounds different in mono. Dig the hand flanging on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. 4:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oULZNUbuTMs

• Members

It's nice to see some Help! love. It's always been one of my favorite Beatles records. I like both the US and UK versions, but I grew up on the US version so I'm used to those cool instrumentals that were on there. It was an original copy my Dad had so I don't know if that was mono or stereo.

I listened to Sgt. Peppers in mono and though it was amazing. It really freshened that one up for me because I think that is one where the stereo version has that {censored}ed up panning going on. I always hated that {censored}.

Archived