m5 LED screen only showing black

pbone

• Members

My M5 would {censored} up like this all the time, it would randomly lock up on a blank screen when you power it and then randomly fix itself later redface.gif

There's some kind of secret button combo to get into the factory settings screen, maybe there's something you can do there.

Quote Originally Posted by woolyh View Post
My M5 would {censored} up like this all the time, it would randomly lock up on a blank screen when you power it and then randomly fix itself later redface.gif

There's some kind of secret button combo to get into the factory settings screen, maybe there's something you can do there.
Here's the factory reset sequence, copied from a post by one of the L6 reps over on their site.

Press and hold the TAP button and tap the Model Select knob to enter the setup menu. Tap the model select knob until you see the MIDI, Tempo and Gate functions. Turn the model select knob until the corresponding display shows RST FACT. Hold the On/Off switch and tap the model select knob twice to reset the M5.

I don't know how you would manage to do that with a dead / dark / blank display though. idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
I don't know how you would manage to do that with a dead / dark / blank display though. idn_smilie.gif
With mine the screen started working again once I got into the menu.

If this is the same problem I had then it's some kind of bug that stops the M5 booting the firmware on start up, I think I fixed it by using the midi update to replace the existing firmware. It didn't really fix it though because it went blank again a month later facepalm.gif

Also I have to say Line 6's customer support in the UK was useless redface.gif

• Members

Also it's probably worth mentioning that when I power it in, it'll flash either a screen with all black LEDs and no lighted color, then go back to nada, then flash a blank colored screen, etc, until I take out the power supply and plug it back in. When I hit the tap and mode select, it brings me to an LCD color calibration scene, but I can't get it out of that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The problem got resolved, and once again, I just want to say that Martha_KH has been very courteous with his resolution with the issue. Even as someone who works in customer service, he definitely did something that went above and beyond what he had to do and took it as his responsibility to come to a resolution as well. Thanks again to him.

Archived