OT: e-cigarettes

echodeluxe

• Members

I tried to quit with the e-cigarettes. Thought I could step down gradually. That method never worked for me. They were handy to have in hotel rooms on trips and places where I couldn't usually smoke though.

Finally quit just going cold turkey. Never thought I could do it, but it's alot easier than it seems. You just have to be committed to saying "Well, I'm going to go through hell, but it's a limited kind of hell, I can still do other fun stuff, and it's only for a limited time, maybe 3-6 months and I'll feel fine, and in the grand scheme of things, that's no time at all."

Worked for me at least.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BHz_econo View Post
I do too since i was around 4 heavy smokers growing up. I rmemeber it looking like a pool hall in the house. I try to get a chest X-ray often.
My mom smoked for aroun 35 years though.
It runs in the men in my family on my mom's side. Smokers and nonsmokers alike.

• Members

Cold turkey really is the way to go. I tried with the gum once, which only increased my dependance on nicotine. So I kept smoking for a bit, then just quit. Got down to 2-3 a day, then only smoked when I was drinking for a bit, then just stopped doing that (the indoor smoking ban in NC really helped out with that).

• Members

I just smoked a lot of weed
:idk:

Weed is often a gateway drug OUT of harder addictions.

Some additional strategies for successfully quitting smoking include giving yourself rewards, both short term (perhaps daily or weekly) and longer term (a month, 6 months). Utilize your desire for particular things, such as gear, and use it as an incentive that you won't buy a particular thing until X number of days passes.

Slips and relapses are often tied to negative emotions, so have a plan to more effectively deal with these situations.

For some people, cold turkey works, for others, warm turkey (a step down approach).

Archived