Double Hotcake...how useful?

Snufkino

• Members

Posted this on TGp but those noobs aren't telling me anything.

So I love my hotcake. Got it direct from Crowther some time ago, and am thinking of getting the double, but the difference between the two modes (normal and bluesberry) seems fairly negligible, but then there's the extra drive control... so is it really worth it? Does anyone use the double and find that having them both on all the time is different than either one on it's own?

I'm not even a huge user of overdrive.facepalm.gif

• Members

Having the both sides on is a little different than having two Hotcakes on. When you kick both sides on the extra drive circuit stacks only with the B side and it acts basically like a boost before the B side. It cuts a little bit of bass so the result is tighter and more focused than simply using one Hotcake and cranking its drive knob. The A side doesn't do anything when you have both sides on.
I've got my B side set to just a touch of hair so it stays clean unless I really dig in. And when I want more dirt I kick the other side on which activates the boost (extra drive) and it gets to the distortion territory but the voicing stays pretty much the same. And finally I've set the A side to full blast fuzz with drive and presence cranked which sounds like Neil Young's Tweed Deluxes on the verge of explosion. Totally_jammin_out.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by eerock View Post
Having the both sides on is a little different than having two Hotcakes on. When you kick both sides on the extra drive circuit stacks only with the B side and it acts basically like a boost before the B side. It cuts a little bit of bass so the result is tighter and more focused than simply using one Hotcake and cranking its drive knob. The A side doesn't do anything when you have both sides on.
I've got my B side set to just a touch of hair so it stays clean unless I really dig in. And when I want more dirt I kick the other side on which activates the boost (extra drive) and it gets to the distortion territory but the voicing stays pretty much the same. And finally I've set the A side to full blast fuzz with drive and presence cranked which sounds like Neil Young's Tweed Deluxes on the verge of explosion. Totally_jammin_out.gif
thumb.gif

I quite like that it focuses the drive tone. That'd be useful.

The way you have your set is exactly what I had in mind, but what do you mean by the 'voicing stays the same'. Do you mean it still retains the dynamic nature of B, just when you do dig into it, you get more distortion than you usually would, or am I misreading that?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Snufkino View Post
thumb.gif

I quite like that it focuses the drive tone. That'd be useful.

The way you have your set is exactly what I had in mind, but what do you mean by the 'voicing stays the same'. Do you mean it still retains the dynamic nature of B, just when you do dig into it, you get more distortion than you usually would, or am I misreading that?
Yeah that and because the extra drive doesn't have any tone knobs the basic tone stays the same, you just get more dirt. It's still plenty dynamic even when you have both sides on. I don't even have to adjust my guitars volume knob to get it to clean up, lighter picking does the job.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AaronF

View Post

The putting a fuzz face in front of a hotcake is where its at.

Pretty much this. I've seen As Cities Burn several times and their lead guitarist always used an ac30 with an always-on hotcake and a fulltone 70 for when things got mean. And it sounds pretty incredible.

Archived