No announcement yet.

Double Hotcake...how useful?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Hotcake...how useful?

Posted this on TGp but those noobs aren't telling me anything.

So I love my hotcake. Got it direct from Crowther some time ago, and am thinking of getting the double, but the difference between the two modes (normal and bluesberry) seems fairly negligible, but then there's the extra drive control... so is it really worth it? Does anyone use the double and find that having them both on all the time is different than either one on it's own?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JzKHYNViAg

I'm not even a huge user of overdrive.
    Good deals list

Personally I'd just find a cheaper pedal like a Rat or Boss OD-3 to stack it against, it would pretty much sound the same as stacking two Hotcakes together ;p
    Originally Posted by RoboPimp

doesn't everyone have a psychedelic dungeon?

Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

Comment

Having the both sides on is a little different than having two Hotcakes on. When you kick both sides on the extra drive circuit stacks only with the B side and it acts basically like a boost before the B side. It cuts a little bit of bass so the result is tighter and more focused than simply using one Hotcake and cranking its drive knob. The A side doesn't do anything when you have both sides on.

I've got my B side set to just a touch of hair so it stays clean unless I really dig in. And when I want more dirt I kick the other side on which activates the boost (extra drive) and it gets to the distortion territory but the voicing stays pretty much the same. And finally I've set the A side to full blast fuzz with drive and presence cranked which sounds like Neil Young's Tweed Deluxes on the verge of explosion.
      Good deals with - gae86, JDE, neoflox, kpd78, smudge_lad, Califa, RadioSilence

Comment

The putting a fuzz face in front of a hotcake is where its at.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by eerock
          View Post

Having the both sides on is a little different than having two Hotcakes on. When you kick both sides on the extra drive circuit stacks only with the B side and it acts basically like a boost before the B side. It cuts a little bit of bass so the result is tighter and more focused than simply using one Hotcake and cranking its drive knob. The A side doesn't do anything when you have both sides on.

I've got my B side set to just a touch of hair so it stays clean unless I really dig in. And when I want more dirt I kick the other side on which activates the boost (extra drive) and it gets to the distortion territory but the voicing stays pretty much the same. And finally I've set the A side to full blast fuzz with drive and presence cranked which sounds like Neil Young's Tweed Deluxes on the verge of explosion.

I quite like that it focuses the drive tone. That'd be useful.

The way you have your set is exactly what I had in mind, but what do you mean by the 'voicing stays the same'. Do you mean it still retains the dynamic nature of B, just when you do dig into it, you get more distortion than you usually would, or am I misreading that?
          Good deals list

Comment

1 Hotcake = mud

2 Hotcakes = ???
            Guitars. Pedals. Amps.
            deals: bradino, neatobassman, Used666, juri, echodeluxe, aporcelainsky, Crxsh, -Andrew-, notjonahbutnoah... and lotz moar

Comment

2 Hotcakes = see above?
              Good deals list

Comment

A mate of mine has an ECG something or other which he plugs into a Double Hotcake through a 4x10 Deville ,and it sounds fantastic.

They look cool as well
                Great deals w/ placebo62, candletears7

Originally Posted by EL KABONG

just cause Aussies cant have guns (=no freedom) doesnt mean other people cant have them either.

Originally Posted by Naterel

Those meatballs came out right

But that rocket ship is ****************ed up

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by delayed delay
                  View Post

1 Hotcake = mud

2 Hotcakes = ???

You're doing it wrong.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Snufkino
                    View Post

I quite like that it focuses the drive tone. That'd be useful.

The way you have your set is exactly what I had in mind, but what do you mean by the 'voicing stays the same'. Do you mean it still retains the dynamic nature of B, just when you do dig into it, you get more distortion than you usually would, or am I misreading that?

Yeah that and because the extra drive doesn't have any tone knobs the basic tone stays the same, you just get more dirt. It's still plenty dynamic even when you have both sides on. I don't even have to adjust my guitars volume knob to get it to clean up, lighter picking does the job.
                    Good deals with - gae86, JDE, neoflox, kpd78, smudge_lad, Califa, RadioSilence

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by AaronF
                      View Post

The putting a fuzz face in front of a hotcake is where its at.

Pretty much this. I've seen As Cities Burn several times and their lead guitarist always used an ac30 with an always-on hotcake and a fulltone 70 for when things got mean. And it sounds pretty incredible.
                      ORANGE AMPS
                      Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

Working...
                      X