Daisy Chain Insulator Caps

caeman

• Members
PicGodlykeCableCaps-M.jpg

I am aware of the 3-pack insulator caps that Godlyke sells. They are $2 for a set of 3. That seems like a lot for such a small item. Is there a less expensive equivalent? Something from the electrical world that I don't know the name of?

Quote Originally Posted by cryptosonic

View Post

heat shrink tubing works really well and slips right off.

That's what I use. I have several that I shrunk over just the metal part of the plug, and they work exactly as you describe. For unused plugs on a daisy chain that you want to insulate long-term (for when you have more plugs than pedals on a completed board), you can get larger diameter heat shrink tubing and shrink the entire plug, including at least part of the plastic base. It will stay in place better that way, but it may require some work with tools to remove - carefully carving it off using an exacto knife, cutting it off with scissors, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by diocide View Post
Go to an automotive store. Buy vacuum hose caps.
That's a good idea for a local source, although I doubt the price would be any less.

What size do you recommend? The Boss-style plugs have an outer diameter of 5.5mm, which is 0.216535" - a 3/16" cap should have a 0.1875" diameter. Maybe it can stretch to fit? idn_smilie.gif A 7/32" cap has a diameter of 0.21875", which might be a bit loose... idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
That's a good idea for a local source, although I doubt the price would be any less.

What size do you recommend? The Boss-style plugs have an outer diameter of 5.5mm, which is 0.216535" - a 3/16" cap should have a 0.1875" diameter. Maybe it can stretch to fit? idn_smilie.gif A 7/32" cap has a diameter of 0.21875", which might be a bit loose... idn_smilie.gif
I bought a little assortment of about 20 pcs, of all different diameters, and it was 5 bucks at most.

Quote Originally Posted by missfortune View Post
End caps for wire DIY shelving units at Home Depot. 96 count for $5.95.

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Org...&storeId=10051

Perfect fit for standard Boss-style jacks.
You could split that six ways, pay a dollar per person, and each get 16 pieces. Now THAT sounds like a good deal to me! icon_lol.gif

Thanks for posting that! Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

• Members

Heat shrink has saved me on more than one occasion. I also recommend getting some as it's useful for just about anything. I remember when I was going through my vintage guitar phase it helped me save a lot on strings which were snapping at/near the bridge =D

Just be creative or cough up the dough, y0.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by juri View Post
Their too big those shelving ones, I tried them at one point or the don't cover the barrel completely.
Not completely, but in all likelihood, good enough:

E247C3A2-41A7-4DA3-BBF7-6E041CD0592E-130

I'd be very surprised if this would somehow short out, given the very small amount of uncovered barrel. YMMV.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I know this thread is old, but it doesn't look like it was answered sufficiently. I bought those caps from Home Depot and while they worked, they were too big and didn't stay on. With a piece of tape they could stay on ok, but I would be concerned they could fall off or get pulled off unexpectedly. But of course, if you *want* them to come off easily, those could be a good choice.

In my case, I was literally shorting the power supply to various components unexpectedly, and therefore needed a more secure solution. One option that worked for me is called a screw thread protector. They are very cheap and the 5mm size takes a little pressure to get on but they absolutely will stay on unless you pull them off.

They are on ebay for like 5 cents each including shipping:

Archived