What fuzz am I after?

Herptheflerp

• Members

So after reading so many fuzz threads on here I dropped the cash on a used Hartman bc108 fuzz face clone. I enjoy it, but it seems that unity volume is at the max on the volume level, and it just seems somewhat... tame I guess idn_smilie.gif

I want that raunchy over the top feedback laden tone, but this pedal even with the level and fuzz set at the max just doesn't seem to get raunchy or rude enough. What am I looking for? Am currently eyeing some tonebender mk1.5 and mkII clones but not sure if that is what I should be looking at.
Playing through a mahogany guitar with suhr aldrich pickups into a jca50, crunch channel with the gain set to just barely edge of breakup and volume anywhere from 2-3 to 5-7.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Herptheflerp View Post
So after reading so many fuzz threads on here I dropped the cash on a used Hartman bc108 fuzz face clone. I enjoy it, but it seems that unity volume is at the max on the volume level, and it just seems somewhat... tame I guess idn_smilie.gif

I want that raunchy over the top feedback laden tone, but this pedal even with the level and fuzz set at the max just doesn't seem to get raunchy or rude enough. What am I looking for? Am currently eyeing some tonebender mk1.5 and mkII clones but not sure if that is what I should be looking at.
I can tell you with certainty that you're not looking for an MK1.5, which is essentially a Fuzz Face with a big more high-end bite and a bit worse clean up. I'd imagine there's not enough gain either. It's a great fuzz box in it's own right, but not for what you're looking for. Have you looked into any Fuzzrites?

• Members

Nope, I have a Stomp under foot big muff clone and the son of a bee fuzz, both of which provide a great lead tone, but I'm looking for more of a pedal to leave on all the time and ride the volume on my guitar for rhythm/lead. Thinking of Hendrix live tones specifically, those kind of fuzz tones.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Herptheflerp View Post
Not what I'm looking for at all, I'm after a fuzz to leave on all the time that cleans up well with the volume on my guitar, ala a fuzz face, but the bc108 fuzz face just seems tame.
That is some key information you should have put in the OP, no?

supe20wink-19012212.jpg

Germanium based Fuzz Face (Tonebender MK 1.5) are the best for Fuzz that clean up with the volume rolled back.

If you want something with more oomf, it will be a trade off of other features.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
I disagree that the MK1.5 clean up is noteworthy.

||||'s suggestions seem more befitting the criteria in the OP.
They don't clean up as well as Fuzz Faces but they still clean up!

And many of those fuzzes would be terrible to leave always on and try to clean up, in particular the DBA SSFG.

• Members

I've found that one fuzz won't "do it all", I usually use three. I love a Fuzzface./Tonebender style, the Monsterpiece NPN is killer, it cleans up incredibly well and makes a nice noise machine becasue it will oscillate like {censored} if you want it to.
my silicon fuzzes clean up every bit as good as my germanium fuzzes.
I also use either a Leeds Fuzz or Boss FZ-2 (both Univox Super Fuzz clones) for a tighter more sinister tone.
and to go beyond the Super Fuzz type tone for even more nastyness, I use a REDesign Kay Fuzz clone.
if i had to pick one that gave good clean up on the volume knob and is way nastier than a Fuzzface, I'd use the Leeds Fuzz, it cleans up really well.

Archived