OT: hate loud commercials? Me too!

eti

• Members

There has been legislation about this here in the UK for a while.

The commercial TV companies overcome this by using a few tricks.

They will deliberately put adverts on after a quiet part of the program to highlight a product.

They also use digital compression which makes the advert sound louder without breaking the volume rules. (not quite sure how this works).

Quote Originally Posted by macadood

View Post

i thought we already had these rules in palce for a while...in canada at least. never had a louder commercial bother me...i always hear people complaining about it. maybe im just deaf idn_smilie.gif

I don't know about Canada, but here in the USA, it's been a rather big annoyance for years. I'm glad to see this law go into effect.

• Members

Weirdly, advertisers do this in cinemas with 35mm prints too. The volume of the ads is louder than the films, even when played at the same volume. So they do it even when they have your undivided attention on a giant screen in an enclosed, darkened room. freak.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by renula

View Post

I use a Barber Tone Press to even the levels.

icon_lol.gif

i actually hooked up my mxr 10-band eq in front of my speakers when watching the World Cup a few years ago to drown out the vuvuzelas. i read somewhere that cutting a certain frequency would reduce it drastically, and it worked fairly well actually. i think some tv networks actually did the same thing.

i for one didnt actually mind the vuvus, added some nice charm

vuvusmiley.gif

• Members

These loud CDs now, they're like advertisements! ... I'm not sure how you compare the levels of a compressed ad with a dynamic show, but hopefully will be better.

One thing I noticed is radio still has most ads in mono. Turn on Pro Logic and unplug your center speaker (if you have one and aren't just hooking up stereo to your surround reciever like I used to when I discovered this) and the ads and DJs will almost drop out. Music sounds a bit funny though.

Archived