Do they make anything like the Boss SYB5 for guitar?

Nick H

• Members
!
(vid wont embedd)
It does some really cool stuff, I like how you can use an expression pedal to control the settings and such.
So, is there anything like this for guitar? Or could I get away with using a bass synth for guitar?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Nick.

• Members

you could probably use the bass one just fine. the ehx bass microsynth works as well as the guitar microsynth on guitar. same for many if not most pedals. my boss ce-2b sounds nearly identical to my ce-2 on guitar as well.

he does get some good wubbing going by the end of this vid.

• Members

here's a vid of someone using it for guitar. there is an old thread on this forum too asking about it, some poeple said it doenst track so well on guitar, and indeed it does sound a bit glitchy on guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ms_eZ8enY

you can mod a ehx microsynth to have expression controllable filter sweep idn_smilie.gif should sound pretty close. the microsynth is a helluva pedal, just watch some of the EHX vids and effectology vids using it and all the different sounds and synth sounds you can get from it

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by macadood

View Post

here's a vid of someone using it for guitar. there is an old thread on this forum too asking about it, some poeple said it doenst track so well on guitar, and indeed it does sound a bit glitchy on guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ms_eZ8enY

you can mod a ehx microsynth to have expression controllable filter sweep idn_smilie.gif should sound pretty close. the microsynth is a helluva pedal, just watch some of the EHX vids and effectology vids using it and all the different sounds and synth sounds you can get from it

Thanks, Ill look into it. The micro synth seems a bit pricey though, Im a budget gear guy.

The guitar would be drop-tuned anyway, so it would stil be in the semi-bass range anyway. Im thinking of putting a compressor and wah in front of it, so Im not sure if that will help it or hurt it as far as tracking goes.

• Members

Octasynth is your answer.

Although the main reason why people probably don't think the SYB tracks well on guitar is because guitarists aren't used to playing single lines quite as cleanly as bass players are. Any slop in your playing, trying to shred, or whatever, will inevitably lead to glitchy tracking problems in the SYB.

I don't think you'll get a MicroSynth to glitch out for tracking problems if your playing is clean, it tracked the bassoon quite well, and the bassoon is a harder instrument for pedals (not tuned to it) to track than guitar if it's doing any pitch>vco kind of thing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vulcaniza P

View Post

behringer bass synth fo the win.

'F' paying $150 or more for an occasional synth sound

This one might be a winner! How does it track on guitar?

Also, what is a decent expression pedal that wont break the bank?

Archived