OT: Acoustic Pickups (Fishman Vs Baggs blend)

Alt-me

• Members

Hey guys,

Do any of you gig with either the Fishman Rare Earth Blend or LR Baggs Anthem (or both?)?

I'm considering these two units for my Alvarez Jumbo. I play a mix of fingerstyle with bits of percussion and strummed stuff, so I need the pickup system to be very versatile.

Thoughts?

Much appreciated
Bill

• Members

Baggs 2 - 0 Fishman

Cheers guys.

Anybody do percussive stuff, like tapping on the body of the guitar? I know it works with the Fishman as a friend of mine plays that style with a Fishman, but what about the Baggs? Does percussion come out sounding natural?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Alt-me View Post
Baggs 2 - 0 Fishman

Cheers guys.

Anybody do percussive stuff, like tapping on the body of the guitar? I know it works with the Fishman as a friend of mine plays that style with a Fishman, but what about the Baggs? Does percussion come out sounding natural?
the new Baggs M80 seems to be the bomb for this kind of thing. I'd love to try one, but they're a bit pricey for me at the moment. hit up some youtube demo - lots of guys tapping and percussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post
the new Baggs M80 seems to be the bomb for this kind of thing. I'd love to try one, but they're a bit pricey for me at the moment. hit up some youtube demo - lots of guys tapping and percussing.
I did a hands-on-review of it this past year for Musician's Friend - it's a kick-butt pickup. Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif What makes it rather unusual is that it not only captures the strings as a magnetic pickup, but it also senses the vibrations of the guitar itself.

I just noticed that Baggs quoted me on their site's M80 page. redface.gif

If you'd like to read the full review that ran in the MF catalog, you can view a copy online right here. Bottom line, if you're a top-tapper, it's a MUCH better choice than a regular magnetic pickup, plus it's far less susceptible to feedback than a system that incorporates a microphone.

Archived