Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Acoustic Pickups (Fishman Vs Baggs blend)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Acoustic Pickups (Fishman Vs Baggs blend)

Hey guys,

Do any of you gig with either the Fishman Rare Earth Blend or LR Baggs Anthem (or both?)?

I'm considering these two units for my Alvarez Jumbo. I play a mix of fingerstyle with bits of percussion and strummed stuff, so I need the pickup system to be very versatile.

Thoughts?

Much appreciated

Bill
    Originally Posted by CicadaSilence

Wow. As if I needed another reason to dislike Muse.

One of many compassionate Atheists

Takamine G-Series electro-acoustic

EHX Nano Soul Preacher
    Boss TU-2 Tuner
    EHX Ring Thing
    Boss RE-20 Space Echo
    Boss RC-20xl Loop Station

Boss VE-20 Vocal Performer

PA

I've never had a flat top acoustic, but the anthem I have in my classical is head and shoulders above the fishman that used to be in there. Also the fishman I had in the bridge of an old archtop really really sucked. So...baggs

Comment

I've had the anthem in my Martin D1 for over a year and a half, at least one gig a week with it, and I'm happy with it.
      Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

Baggs 2 - 0 Fishman

Cheers guys.

Anybody do percussive stuff, like tapping on the body of the guitar? I know it works with the Fishman as a friend of mine plays that style with a Fishman, but what about the Baggs? Does percussion come out sounding natural?
        Originally Posted by CicadaSilence

Wow. As if I needed another reason to dislike Muse.

One of many compassionate Atheists

Takamine G-Series electro-acoustic

EHX Nano Soul Preacher
        Boss TU-2 Tuner
        EHX Ring Thing
        Boss RE-20 Space Echo
        Boss RC-20xl Loop Station

Boss VE-20 Vocal Performer

PA

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Alt-me
          View Post

Baggs 2 - 0 Fishman

Cheers guys.

Anybody do percussive stuff, like tapping on the body of the guitar? I know it works with the Fishman as a friend of mine plays that style with a Fishman, but what about the Baggs? Does percussion come out sounding natural?

the new Baggs M80 seems to be the bomb for this kind of thing. I'd love to try one, but they're a bit pricey for me at the moment. hit up some youtube demo - lots of guys tapping and percussing.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Max Factor
            View Post

the new Baggs M80 seems to be the bomb for this kind of thing. I'd love to try one, but they're a bit pricey for me at the moment. hit up some youtube demo - lots of guys tapping and percussing.

I did a hands-on-review of it this past year for Musician's Friend - it's a kick-butt pickup. What makes it rather unusual is that it not only captures the strings as a magnetic pickup, but it also senses the vibrations of the guitar itself.

I just noticed that Baggs quoted me on their site's M80 page.

If you'd like to read the full review that ran in the MF catalog, you can view a copy online right here. Bottom line, if you're a top-tapper, it's a MUCH better choice than a regular magnetic pickup, plus it's far less susceptible to feedback than a system that incorporates a microphone.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
            X