Does anyone use a synth for bass in their band?

recovery

• Members

I am currently recording songs using virtual synths for the bass. When I assemble a live band, I have someone who will be playing the bass parts on a synth and I am considering a Little Phatty.

Anyone else use a synth for the bass parts? If so, talk about your equipment and set-up.

Thanks.

• Members

haha, i want to, but nobody in portland is down with it!

i have a moog source -> DOD meat box -> woolly mammoth -> dwarfcraft great destroyer -> audible disease 33 -> montreal assembly uranus -> boss eh-2 -> devi mirro -> maxon ph-350

i'm about to {censored}can some of that, though.

• Members

I use a EH Bass Micro Synth with an eq, and a Digitech Whammy V for my bass guitar.
I also use Roland PK-5A bass pedals into a Novation Superbasstation, as well as a K Station.
I'm also incorporating a Machine Mikro into the rig as well (not done yet).
I have Moog Taurus pedals that I don't use live anymore, I can get close to that tone with my Novation SBS.
I saw Grimes, Myths and Crystal Castles last month, it was a synth bass orgy. love.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Noise Factory

View Post

Best use I've seen is probably the Dandy Warhols. They usually use a Korg MS-20 through a GK rig.

I'm a huge Dandy's fan and that's where I originally got the idea to use a synth for bass. I had always thought Zia was using a Voyager, but I think you are right the Korg is her main bass synth.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by recovery

View Post

I'm a huge Dandy's fan and that's where I originally got the idea to use a synth for bass. I had always thought Zia was using a Voyager, but I think you are right the Korg is her main bass synth.

I use to own a MS-20, it's cool but wouldn't be my first choice for bass.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mhuxtable View Post
Either a Phatty or the new Minitaur by Moog would be perfect....the Minitaur especially since its based off the Taurus bass pedals.

Run that into a bass amp or just straight to the house and you'll be rumbling every venue.
I think the Phatty has Minitaur presets, which will get me "close enough". I like the idea of having all the other Phatty non-bass sounds as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by recovery

View Post

I think the Phatty has Minitaur presets, which will get me "close enough". I like the idea of having all the other Phatty non-bass sounds as well.

I have a phatty and it rules, but it doesn't have "Minitaur presets". My sincere advice would to go to your local GC and play the Phatty, Minitaur, and Mopho and pick from those. They're all gonna have different sounds and different uses. Also the Mopho has a much more flexible pulse width wave that's continuously variable, which is pretty necessary for those fat synthy bass sounds.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pbone

View Post

I have a phatty and it rules, but it doesn't have "Minitaur presets". My sincere advice would to go to your local GC and play the Phatty, Minitaur, and Mopho and pick from those. They're all gonna have different sounds and different uses. Also the Mopho has a much more flexible pulse width wave that's continuously variable, which is pretty necessary for those fat synthy bass sounds.

are you playing in a band right now?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by pbone View Post

Hmmm... why did I think that it had presets? I must have misunderstood something I read about the LP.

Archived