Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use a synth for bass in their band?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use a synth for bass in their band?

I am currently recording songs using virtual synths for the bass. When I assemble a live band, I have someone who will be playing the bass parts on a synth and I am considering a Little Phatty.

Anyone else use a synth for the bass parts? If so, talk about your equipment and set-up.

Thanks.
    RIG:

boss fz-2 • ehx dmm • ehx pulsar • korg dt-10 • alesis quadraverb • grendel drone commander • vox v830 distortion booster • tremulus lune • ronsound trem-o-matic • ibanez lf7

fender princeton chorus x2

fernandes native pro
    epiphone les paul signature semi-hollow

Best use I've seen is probably the Dandy Warhols. They usually use a Korg MS-20 through a GK rig.
    —-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, friend.

Comment

i use a slim phatty for bass parts. sounds great.
      soundcloud.com/nonlocality
      nonlocality.bandcamp.com

Comment

haha, i want to, but nobody in portland is down with it!

i have a moog source -> DOD meat box -> woolly mammoth -> dwarfcraft great destroyer -> audible disease 33 -> montreal assembly uranus -> boss eh-2 -> devi mirro -> maxon ph-350

i'm about to ****************can some of that, though.

Comment

I use my guitar.
          My musicMy band"You can never have too much reverb son - write that down.- Phil Spector

Comment

Mmmm.... Source.

If there's one mono synth that I got rid of that I probably shouldn't have....
            —-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, friend.

Comment

I use a EH Bass Micro Synth with an eq, and a Digitech Whammy V for my bass guitar.

I also use Roland PK-5A bass pedals into a Novation Superbasstation, as well as a K Station.

I'm also incorporating a Machine Mikro into the rig as well (not done yet).

I have Moog Taurus pedals that I don't use live anymore, I can get close to that tone with my Novation SBS.

I saw Grimes, Myths and Crystal Castles last month, it was a synth bass orgy.
              great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous

Comment

Either a Phatty or the new Minitaur by Moog would be perfect....the Minitaur especially since its based off the Taurus bass pedals.

Run that into a bass amp or just straight to the house and you'll be rumbling every venue.
                Good deals with: TravvyBear, TD Moyer, modeerf, starmansam, dyer_maker, Reaganomics!, frenchji

Gods of Harvest

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Noise Factory
                  View Post

Best use I've seen is probably the Dandy Warhols. They usually use a Korg MS-20 through a GK rig.

I'm a huge Dandy's fan and that's where I originally got the idea to use a synth for bass. I had always thought Zia was using a Voyager, but I think you are right the Korg is her main bass synth.
                  RIG:

boss fz-2 • ehx dmm • ehx pulsar • korg dt-10 • alesis quadraverb • grendel drone commander • vox v830 distortion booster • tremulus lune • ronsound trem-o-matic • ibanez lf7

fender princeton chorus x2

fernandes native pro
                  epiphone les paul signature semi-hollow

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by recovery
                    View Post

I'm a huge Dandy's fan and that's where I originally got the idea to use a synth for bass. I had always thought Zia was using a Voyager, but I think you are right the Korg is her main bass synth.

I use to own a MS-20, it's cool but wouldn't be my first choice for bass.
                    great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous

Comment

Moog minitaur or Dave Smith Mopho would be perfect. You can scoop mopho's for reeeeeeealllllllllllll cheap these days.

Comment

maybe for a side-project becuz i don't have a Bass. haven't decided if this side-project needs bass parts though...

Comment

Q and not U!
                          FS/FT: Shure SM58 Beta good condish, Pioneer SX535 analog Receiver... looking for dirt, tuner, anything really. Pics available just ask

Comment

I one saw Harvey Milk play a show with both Tanner on bass and a synth player doubling the parts.

It was awesome.
                            Whores. Facebook bandcamp

Rig Guitars Board

Duane Denison, Steve Albini, Ron Ashton, Buzz Osborne, Rowland S. Howard, Steve Turner, Jon Spencer, Chris Spencer, Kurt Ballou and Josh Homme

Originally Posted by pasteface

I want to Make a sound like on doors where It Gose PPPPPPPRRROWWWWWNNNN like a Bridg falliing Apart and When it Ecchoes

Comment

my advice is don't go for an all bass sound, include lots of attack.
                              Near Grey

Comment

Working...
                              X