Thinking of going Stereo this year. Do I get another Deville to match? What else?

brokenfixed

• Members

Got some loot from my bonus. Thinking of going stereo. Do you guys mix and match or do you try to get the same amp you have?

I was thinking of getting another Fender Hot Rod Deville 2X12 to match. What about getting a 4X10 or even a just a Deluxe? Even a different brand altogether? Would the difference be that noticable? I assume it'd just be super loud and indistinguishable between the two.

Was also thinking of sending the looper to one amp and let the other one just be straight guitar. I used to have it set up like that back when I had a multi-fx pedal and solid state amps. Anyone have any issues with that setup?

• Members

I dunno - it looks mint, just not original. But it looks like an upgrade frankly.

I run stereo, but I don't have to lug gear all over either. Right now I use an AC15c1 and a Fender Mustang III - usually using the Bassman mode, or sometimes a Deluxe reverb or Princeton. Will have a new amp soon, probably a DRRI of some variety. I wouldn't want 2 of the same amps personally, that seems boring. If you have a Fender now, maybe a Vox, or an Orange, something that will complement each other.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenfixed View Post
yeah what do AC30's run used? Cause I'm sorta working with $600 max.

whats the deal with this "mint" listing having 2 different speakers in it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Hot-R...item2c6af17c22

• Members

I dunno - it looks mint, just not original. But it looks like an upgrade frankly.

I run stereo, but I don't have to lug gear all over either. Right now I use an AC15c1 and a Fender Mustang III - usually using the Bassman mode, or sometimes a Deluxe reverb or Princeton. Will have a new amp soon, probably a DRRI of some variety. I wouldn't want 2 of the same amps personally, that seems boring. If you have a Fender now, maybe a Vox, or an Orange, something that will complement each other.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenfixed View Post
yeah what do AC30's run used? Cause I'm sorta working with $600 max.

whats the deal with this "mint" listing having 2 different speakers in it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Hot-R...item2c6af17c22

• Members

I run stereo with 4 cabs. Each amp is voiced differently, one is more bassy and crisp and one has more treble and sounds more compressed. I run a cab on each side of the room with each amp so that it creates an x pattern. Also I use different speakers in each cab and the cabs contain different speakers in x patterns. So I have a lot of variety going on. Just yesterday I added a 2x 15 to the setup.
Sounds HUGE. I love it and will never go back to one amp.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
Why? If you use reverb or delays at all, stereo is definitely worth it. Much wider sound stage, sounds awesome. Stereo > Mono.
Having to lug around and maintain two amps is an absolute pain in the balls and when your playing it doesn't even make any difference without any panning effects going on.

Never again for me, never again freak.gif

• Members

Also soundguys hate you because once the signals gone stereo, its got to stay stereo- two mics, two channels, panned seperate ect.

Also two 40w amps will be loud as hell.

Also, when running two amps with different sound qualities the one will tend to dominate over the other. It sounds big certainly but you loose the character of each individual amp in favour of a more indistinguishable "wall of sound".

Which, if its going true stereo also means one side of the house is dealing with a different amp mix to the other side, which again will make the soundguy murder you.

The only thing I'd go stereo for is post-amp effects tbh.

• Members

I can see this in some live applications, it really depends on a lot of factors of course. For home use, stereo setups are a lot of fun though. I do agree that sometimes two different amps cancel each other's tone out, to make one "indistinguishable" tone. But you can make one amp be more for fill, especially when using delays and you want to take advantage of a a ping pong effect, etc. and keep your main amp louder so it's tone, especially with dirt will remain the lead amp. I wouldn't say stereo is the only way to go, but for some applications it's a lot of fun. When I get a new amp hopefully soon, I might go back to a mono setup for a while, and see how I like it. But I suspect I'll add a second amp at some point. But yeah, 2 tube amps in a small space can be pretty damn loud.

• Members

I used to run stereo. Course it sounded cool, but ain't worth the trouble. Carrying all that crap gets old quick especially when you don't need it all. Also, it sucks getting the levels right, especially if they are two different amps.

• Members

If you don't mind hauling extra {censored} around and dealing with ground loops and phasing issues...It's totally worth itsmile.gif

If you can afford it...Why not? You don't HAVE to take both amps to every single rehearsel or show, right? Or just leave one at your practice spot, and another one at home.

Anyway, I'd say a different sounding amp gives you more depth. If it's just about the stereo thing or the extra volume, I'd get an extra speaker cab instad of another amp just like the oneI already haveidn_smilie.gif

Don't listen to people telling you it's too loud, don't listen to soundguys giving you sh*t. Try to loan someone's AC30 or somthing to see how you like it. I frikkin LOVE it. Playing with one amp sounds super lame in comparison now.

I tried running the stereo out of my delay peds to the second amp, and using both channel of both amps, and using the fx loops of both amps, etc...

In the end there were just too many things to go rong, too much unneeded work setting everything up. I don't have a personal assistent or roady or whatever, I just want to plug and play when I'm jamming with my buddies for a couple hours. So other than the AC30 recommendation, my only advice if you're going stereo: Keep it simple. Oh also: Get a good a/b switcher (anti-phasing, ground lift, etc).

• Members

waste of time imo, that's not to say using two amps (or two cabs) live is though. but stereo only really works well on a recording unless the whole band is using a stereo mix live but even then unless you are stood at the mixing desk it usually sounds worse than mono to at least half the audience.

• Members

Not gigging much these days, but I would totally go stereo using 2 EHX 1977 Mike Matthews Dirt Road Specials. They are low maintenance, light, portable, solid state, and 25 watts each. They each have a small stone built in for maximum psychedelic stereophonic trippiness. As melx already mentioned, the stereo effects might be difficult to capture for a large portion of the audience; but the effort would mostly be for my own benefit. The kind of music I write uses a lot on stereo atmospherics, which put me in the right context for performing.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by melx View Post
..... also if you don't use the same amp it will sound wank, like a hifi with two different speakers.
I respectfully disagree. Not all amps go well together, but with a little bit of tweeking, a nice blend of two good amps can sometimes sound a lot better than any of the amps seperatly imo. Sure, "better" is relative, but it'll at least sound fuller/fatter/beefier. I don't see how it'd be that much different from using a stereo rig in the studioidn_smilie.gif Unless we're talking small bar gigs or whatever else situation that doesn't have a good pa and dito sound guy.

When I put on a record I don't always sit at EXACTLY the center between my two speakers, but that doesn't mean it'll sound worse than using just one speaker playing mono..Right?:ikd:

And like someone already sorta said: When you're a big delay/looper user, it makes A LOT of sense to use two amps imo.

• Members

Yikes, a lot of strange responses to this thread...

I've been running stereo nearly the entire time I've been playing guitar... usually it's actually just dual mono with both amps receiving the same signal though. I've never once had a ground loop issue, never once had a phasing issue, and two amps of equal power are only slightly louder than one amp... and that's what volume knobs are for. I mean, imagine someone talking to you at normal conversation level, now imagine two people talking to you at conversation level, is it any louder?

And why not have two different amps? Having two of the same would be like having two of the same overdrive because you want continuity or something... An AC30 + Deville combo would be a great pairing. You also don't HAVE to run true stereo where all of the effects in the chain are stereo and one side of the house gets one signal and one side gets the other, it's cool when playing by yourself and spreading the amps apart but the effect gets lost a bit live. I'd just run two amps for the sake of sound quality, because eq'd well two amps can sound monstrous.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
I respectfully disagree. Not all amps go well together, but with a little bit of tweeking, a nice blend of two good amps can sometimes sound a lot better than any of the amps seperatly imo. Sure, "better" is relative, but it'll at least sound fuller/fatter/beefier. I don't see how it'd be that much different from using a stereo rig in the studioidn_smilie.gif
sure a blend of two (or more amps) can sound amazing but when I hear stereo effects I want to hear the same of both sides, not (for example) a ping-pong delay getting darker and brighter or louder and quieter as it moves from one amp to another, imo it sounds better if they are balanced equally and the same tonally. If I was gonna use more than one amp for a fuller, fatter mult-textured sound live I'd keep it mono myself. I think a stereo recording is a totally different kettle of fish. ... but maybe that's just me? I've been to gigs where the whole PA was projecting a stereo mix and stood in the front half of the venue towards the left or the right you couldn't hear the other guitarist at all. If you were running a stereo guitar rig the result would be the same but you'd only hear one half of the stereo image.

When I put on a record I don't always sit at EXACTLY the center between my two speakers, but that doesn't mean it'll sound worse than using just one speaker playing mono..Right?:ikd:
mmm, but you know it sounds best when you do right? and I presume your stereo speakers aren't the width of a stage apart? icon_lol.gif .... if they were and you were at one end of the room, it might well sound better in mono, at least you'd hear a balanced representation of the music.

I respect your ears if you hear otherwise, we are all different.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mistersuperfly View Post

I've been running stereo nearly the entire time I've been playing guitar... usually it's actually just dual mono with both amps receiving the same signal though. I've never once had a ground loop issue, never once had a phasing issue, and two amps of equal power are only slightly louder than one amp... and that's what volume knobs are for. I mean, imagine someone talking to you at normal conversation level, now imagine two people talking to you at conversation level, is it any louder?

And why not have two different amps? Having two of the same would be like having two of the same overdrive because you want continuity or something... An AC30 + Deville combo would be a great pairing. You also don't HAVE to run true stereo where all of the effects in the chain are stereo and one side of the house gets one signal and one side gets the other, it's cool when playing by yourself and spreading the amps apart but the effect gets lost a bit live. I'd just run two amps for the sake of sound quality, because eq'd well two amps can sound monstrous.
well, there you go...

"eq'd well two amps can sound monstrous" ..... I agree totally, but like I said above, better to run them both in mono imo. I don't think that's a strange opinion at all. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GDan

View Post

Also soundguys hate you...

Screw the sound guy. It's their job to work with the artist's setup to get the sound out to the audience...not the other way around. Not being able to deal with a stereo rig means they're rookies (or lazy) and should probably stick to tending bar or checking ID's. redface.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mistersuperfly View Post

This. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by woolyh View Post
Having to lug around and maintain two amps is an absolute pain in the balls and when your playing it doesn't even make any difference without any panning effects going on.

Never again for me, never again freak.gif
Depends how you do it. I have a guitar with three outputs so it's a pretty big difference for me. But yeah, I do also use stereo delay, panning effects, stereo modulation sometimes, and stereo reverb. Sometimes, I also just use two totally different signal paths. Definitely makes a big difference when you've got half your bridge pickup going in through an overdrive and the other half with an IC Muff.

Archived