Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of going Stereo this year. Do I get another Deville to match? What else?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of going Stereo this year. Do I get another Deville to match? What else?

Got some loot from my bonus. Thinking of going stereo. Do you guys mix and match or do you try to get the same amp you have?

I was thinking of getting another Fender Hot Rod Deville 2X12 to match. What about getting a 4X10 or even a just a Deluxe? Even a different brand altogether? Would the difference be that noticable? I assume it'd just be super loud and indistinguishable between the two.

Was also thinking of sending the looper to one amp and let the other one just be straight guitar. I used to have it set up like that back when I had a multi-fx pedal and solid state amps. Anyone have any issues with that setup?
    http://circadianfrequency.bandcamp.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Circad...71994049510517

I am all for it if you can carry everything and don't mind an extra trip. If I were you, I'd grab a Vox AC30 to run with the Deville. Would be sexy.
    Good Deals: Killing Nevada, navyjones, Jwando, Small Stone, Cake Bakist, futuresailors, 23cicero, somestarrynight, richey888, jimosity, stratedge09, Raintes, JMP2203, Attuma, Floodstage

Originally Posted by Naterel

Pain is your bodies way of telling you not to cross daddy

Originally Posted by RoboPimp

yup, part of growing up is abandoning any hopes and dreams and giving up on anything that you feel passionate about or makes you happy.

then comes years of waiting for sweet death.

Comment

yeah what do AC30's run used? Cause I'm sorta working with $600 max.

whats the deal with this "mint" listing having 2 different speakers in it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Hot-R...item2c6af17c22
      http://circadianfrequency.bandcamp.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Circad...71994049510517

Comment

I dunno - it looks mint, just not original. But it looks like an upgrade frankly.

I run stereo, but I don't have to lug gear all over either. Right now I use an AC15c1 and a Fender Mustang III - usually using the Bassman mode, or sometimes a Deluxe reverb or Princeton. Will have a new amp soon, probably a DRRI of some variety. I wouldn't want 2 of the same amps personally, that seems boring. If you have a Fender now, maybe a Vox, or an Orange, something that will complement each other.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenfixed
        View Post

Comment

I dunno - it looks mint, just not original. But it looks like an upgrade frankly.

I run stereo, but I don't have to lug gear all over either. Right now I use an AC15c1 and a Fender Mustang III - usually using the Bassman mode, or sometimes a Deluxe reverb or Princeton. Will have a new amp soon, probably a DRRI of some variety. I wouldn't want 2 of the same amps personally, that seems boring. If you have a Fender now, maybe a Vox, or an Orange, something that will complement each other.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenfixed
          View Post

Comment

Don't go stereo, that **************** ain't worth it.

doesn't everyone have a psychedelic dungeon?

Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by woolyh
              View Post

Don't go stereo, that **************** ain't worth it.

Why? If you use reverb or delays at all, stereo is definitely worth it. Much wider sound stage, sounds awesome. Stereo > Mono.

Comment

I run stereo with 4 cabs. Each amp is voiced differently, one is more bassy and crisp and one has more treble and sounds more compressed. I run a cab on each side of the room with each amp so that it creates an x pattern. Also I use different speakers in each cab and the cabs contain different speakers in x patterns. So I have a lot of variety going on. Just yesterday I added a 2x 15 to the setup.

Sounds HUGE. I love it and will never go back to one amp.
                http://soundcloud.com/infinite_fluxNew crappy band, Infinite Flux

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by IRG
                  View Post

Why? If you use reverb or delays at all, stereo is definitely worth it. Much wider sound stage, sounds awesome. Stereo > Mono.

Having to lug around and maintain two amps is an absolute pain in the balls and when your playing it doesn't even make any difference without any panning effects going on.

Never again for me, never again

doesn't everyone have a psychedelic dungeon?

Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

Comment

Also soundguys hate you because once the signals gone stereo, its got to stay stereo- two mics, two channels, panned seperate ect.

Also two 40w amps will be loud as hell.

Also, when running two amps with different sound qualities the one will tend to dominate over the other. It sounds big certainly but you loose the character of each individual amp in favour of a more indistinguishable "wall of sound".

Which, if its going true stereo also means one side of the house is dealing with a different amp mix to the other side, which again will make the soundguy murder you.

The only thing I'd go stereo for is post-amp effects tbh.
                    http://soundcloud.com/hugespiders

Comment

I can see this in some live applications, it really depends on a lot of factors of course. For home use, stereo setups are a lot of fun though. I do agree that sometimes two different amps cancel each other's tone out, to make one "indistinguishable" tone. But you can make one amp be more for fill, especially when using delays and you want to take advantage of a a ping pong effect, etc. and keep your main amp louder so it's tone, especially with dirt will remain the lead amp. I wouldn't say stereo is the only way to go, but for some applications it's a lot of fun. When I get a new amp hopefully soon, I might go back to a mono setup for a while, and see how I like it. But I suspect I'll add a second amp at some point. But yeah, 2 tube amps in a small space can be pretty damn loud.

Comment

I used to run stereo. Course it sounded cool, but ain't worth the trouble. Carrying all that crap gets old quick especially when you don't need it all. Also, it sucks getting the levels right, especially if they are two different amps.
                        I teach Guitar through skype. I'm affordable. Check it out here. http://jesses-skype-guitar-lessons.weebly.com/

Comment

If you don't mind hauling extra **************** around and dealing with ground loops and phasing issues...It's totally worth it

If you can afford it...Why not? You don't HAVE to take both amps to every single rehearsel or show, right? Or just leave one at your practice spot, and another one at home.

Anyway, I'd say a different sounding amp gives you more depth. If it's just about the stereo thing or the extra volume, I'd get an extra speaker cab instad of another amp just like the oneI already have

Don't listen to people telling you it's too loud, don't listen to soundguys giving you sh*t. Try to loan someone's AC30 or somthing to see how you like it. I frikkin LOVE it. Playing with one amp sounds super lame in comparison now.

I tried running the stereo out of my delay peds to the second amp, and using both channel of both amps, and using the fx loops of both amps, etc...

In the end there were just too many things to go rong, too much unneeded work setting everything up. I don't have a personal assistent or roady or whatever, I just want to plug and play when I'm jamming with my buddies for a couple hours. So other than the AC30 recommendation, my only advice if you're going stereo: Keep it simple. Oh also: Get a good a/b switcher (anti-phasing, ground lift, etc).

Comment

waste of time imo, that's not to say using two amps (or two cabs) live is though. but stereo only really works well on a recording unless the whole band is using a stereo mix live but even then unless you are stood at the mixing desk it usually sounds worse than mono to at least half the audience.

Comment

..... also if you don't use the same amp it will sound wank, like a hifi with two different speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X