2012 Gear Purchases - a year in review...

delayed delay

• Members

So the 2012 New Year's gear resolutions thread got me thinking.... How'd everyone do? What'd you buy? What'd you sell? What'd you keep?

For me...

What I started with:

Guitars - Benford Tele, Benford Custom Dual Cutaway, Reverend Flatroc, Larrivee OM-03re

Pedals - pretty much this, but was probably slightly different...
efaecc14.jpg

Amps - Gabriel Voxer V18, Marshall Class 5

Cab - Emperor 2x12

.....Aaaaaaaand fast forward to the end of the year.......

Guitars - G&L ASAT Special, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Larrivee OM-03re

Pedals - this...
DE43C832-F0BE-4A5A-91A7-88296C3494FC-193

Amp - Gabriel Voxer V18

Cabs - Emperor 2x12, Stagecraft 1x12

So yeah... Guitars are COMPLETELY different, but I'm much happier with 2 amazing electrics as opposed to 1 great electric and 2 decent ones. Pedalboard got downsized significantly and I'm MUCH happier because of it. I'm gonna bookmark this thread, and I'd be willing to bet that my board will look only SLIGHTLY different at this point next year (might swap the SP Comp for something else... But that's all I'd prolly change. I'm finally satisfied with everything and the controllers really simplify my live playing. The Gabriel has been with me for over 2 years now, and won't be going anywhere. I'd like to add a 2nd amp in '13, but only to compliment the Gabriel. Cabs are here to stay as well.

• Members

I moved a lot of gear this year, mostly out, but my rig is better than ever in my opinion.

Amps: sold Peavey 6505+, bought & traded away Mesa Express 5:50 head, sold Mesa Roadster 2x12 cab, received and traded away Marshall JCM 800 4210, received and traded Traynor YGL-1, received and kept Tungsten Crema Wheat.

Guitars: sold: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender American Special Telecaster, Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster, Edwards Viper. Bought and sold an old MIM Mexican Squier/Fender Tele. Bought and kept a Fender J Mascis Jazzmaster, got a mountain dulcimer as a gift that I'll be keeping

Pedals: Sold: Swollen Pickle, EQD Sea Machine, Line 6 M9, TC Flashback
Bought: Ernie Ball VP JR, Polytune, Strymon Flint, Strymon El Cap, received a free Sea Blue EQ clone, built Orange Squeezer compressor clone.

Other: bought and sold NI Maschine

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by delayed delay View Post
So the 2012 New Year's gear resolutions thread got me thinking.... How'd everyone do? What'd you buy? What'd you sell? What'd you keep?

For me...

What I started with:

Guitars - Benford Tele, Benford Custom Dual Cutaway, Reverend Flatroc, Larrivee OM-03re

Pedals - pretty much this, but was probably slightly different...
efaecc14.jpg

Amps - Gabriel Voxer V18, Marshall Class 5

Cab - Emperor 2x12

.....Aaaaaaaand fast forward to the end of the year.......

Guitars - G&L ASAT Special, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Larrivee OM-03re

Pedals - this...
DE43C832-F0BE-4A5A-91A7-88296C3494FC-193

Amp - Gabriel Voxer V18

Cabs - Emperor 2x12, Stagecraft 1x12

So yeah... Guitars are COMPLETELY different, but I'm much happier with 2 amazing electrics as opposed to 1 great electric and 2 decent ones. Pedalboard got downsized significantly and I'm MUCH happier because of it. I'm gonna bookmark this thread, and I'd be willing to bet that my board will look only SLIGHTLY different at this point next year (might swap the SP Comp for something else... But that's all I'd prolly change. I'm finally satisfied with everything and the controllers really simplify my live playing. The Gabriel has been with me for over 2 years now, and won't be going anywhere. I'd like to add a 2nd amp in '13, but only to compliment the Gabriel. Cabs are here to stay as well.
How are you liking that Xotic SP? What other comps have you used and what would you compare it too? idn_smilie.gif

• Members

I bought way too much stuff to list here in 2012...especially compared to what I sold which wasn't very much. It was a big year for guitars, pedals, amps and studio stuff. This year won't be as spendy since I had to pay for my dog's back surgery recently but I'm planning on picking up either the AxeFx2 to use as an effects processor or the much speculated and anticipated Fractal Audio M-9 killer. I'm giving them until April to deliver the goods and I'm pulling the trigger on whatever's available at the time.

For guitars I'll probably buy at least one more NAFTA-Caster Cabronita Tele, a pair of Johnny Marr Jaguars and another pair of Edwards 335's and I'll be done buying any more guitars.

I'm also considering a pair of Fender Princeton Reissues and a pair of Vox AC-15 handwired combos and maybe another pair of Mesa TA-30 heads and then I'm done buying anymore guitar amps unless I can get a good deal on a Hiwatt head and cab and a Marshall Silver Jubilee head. I might also pick up a couple of Mesa Lone Star 2x12 cabinets and a Mesa 4x10 Lone Star cab. That being said, none or only a couple of these amp purchases may happen if I start focusing more on studio hardware this year.

For pedals, there's not a lot on my list for 2013...maybe an Empress Comp, and Xotic SP comp and a few duplicates of the pedals that I use a lot so I can build other boards or have as backups.

If the paying bass gigs continue to come my way I may pick up an Ampeg SVT head and maybe another bass or two and maybe a Mesa Bi-Amped bass rig...but only if the paying gigs keep coming. Otherwise I'll probably put it off until 2014 and I may just get the SVT and skip the other stuff.

Of course the {censored} cold hit the fan somehow and none of this could happen but if all goes well, this is what I'm looking at. After that, with the exception of studio gear, I'm pretty much done buying any more guitar and bass gear. At that point I might buy a nicer drum set, but the one I have is cutting it (and I'm not that great of a drummer...mostly the drummers in the bands I'm in use it at rehearsals) so it's not high on my priority list.

• Members

Gear In:
BAT Pharaoh
Hardwire Supernatural
CMATMODS Deluxe Signa COmp
CMATMODS Ratified
Subdecay Liquid Sunshine
DANO CC TOD V1 X2
Zoom G3
Roland JC-77

Gear Out:
TC G-System Ltd.
Traynor YCS-90
MXR Phase 90
Korg Pitchblack +
Dano CC TOD V2
Dano CC Drive V2

• Members

To the OP, nice progression man. I would like to emulate how your incorporation of independent controllers. Sometimes I get concerned with preserving the toanz while playing my big board not to mention tap dancing. Your solution looks like a great cure.

Also, why did you have to introduce me to the Naga Viper?! Haha. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NITROHOLIC View Post
bought

68 sunn 200s
72 ampeg v2

70s 1x15 loaded with an ev
74 sensurround folded horn (massive amounts of fun)
70s kustom 2x15

78 renaissance bass
62 gibson eb-0

couple pedlolz

neweb-01-1.jpg

neweb-02-1.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

newpedlolz1.jpg

newbass.jpg
This is what I wished my bassist was playing through So badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
you should really sell me that bass, dude.
That bass is so beautifull So want!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Banned

View Post

How are you liking that Xotic SP? What other comps have you used and what would you compare it too? idn_smilie.gif

It's not bad at all really. It can be dialed in pretty transparent... Sorta like what the Diamond does, and can also get squishy if you want it too. My only problem with it is there is definitely some noise that comes with it. I think I'm gonna go back to the Diamond tbh... It's the only compressor that's worked for me in the past.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Villano Dude View Post
To the OP, nice progression man. I would like to emulate how your incorporation of independent controllers. Sometimes I get concerned with preserving the toanz while playing my big board not to mention tap dancing. Your solution looks like a great cure.

Also, why did you have to introduce me to the Naga Viper?! Haha. thumb.gif
Haha... The NV is a phenomenal pedal if you use Humbuckers; sounds sublime with my Les Paul... but I don't use it that much with my ASAT; too bright.

This is definitely the best solution I've come up with for my needs. Works like a charm and makes live switching/playing a breeze.

• Members

For guitars, I bought a Gibson R0 proto, Gibson G0, Taylor 410ce-LTD and a PRS ME Quatro. Sold a Suhr Modern 7 and the ME Quatro. Might pick up a 335 and sell my Suhr Classic T before the new year, but I'm not sure yet.

For amps, I bought a CEC Brigand, a Cameron CCV-100 and a Germino Masonette. Sold an Orange Thunderverb, a '64 Princeton, a CAA OD-100 and the Masonette.

For pedals, I bought and sold way too many to even keep track of. I know I dumped most of my big ticket items (Klon, a few D*A*Ms, Space, Timeline, etc.), though I also bought a few more (a few D*A*Ms, a few Castledines and Pigdogs) to replace them. Also Bogners. icon_lol.gif

• Members

For guitars, I bought a Gibson R0 proto, Gibson G0, Taylor 410ce-LTD and a PRS ME Quatro. Sold a Suhr Modern 7 and the ME Quatro. Might pick up a 335 and sell my Suhr Classic T before the new year, but I'm not sure yet.

For amps, I bought a CEC Brigand, a Cameron CCV-100 and a Germino Masonette. Sold an Orange Thunderverb, a '64 Princeton, a CAA OD-100 and the Masonette. EDIT: Forgot that I also sold my CEC Toll-Free Express last week.

For pedals, I bought and sold way too many to even keep track of. I know I dumped most of my big ticket items (Klon, a few D*A*Ms, Space, Timeline, etc.), though I also bought a few more (a few D*A*Ms, a few Castledines and Pigdogs) to replace them. Also Bogners. icon_lol.gif

• Members

In:
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Line 6 Verbzilla
Pigtronix Attack Sustain
Behringer BX3000 head
Steelsound 2x12 cab

Out:
Epiphone CS SG
Boss NS-2
EHX Soul Preacher
EHX Mini Qtron
EHX Holy Grail
Epiphone Valve Jr
Epiphone Slingshot
Hohner J-Bass
Teisco guitar
Trumpet
Clarinet
Flute
2 CGM monitors
Behringer powered mixer

• Members
OUT:

3 of my Morley Tel Rays pedals: the VCO volume compressor, the PFW power fuzz wah, and the ECV Echo Chorus Vibrato.

1 of my vintage EHX Mini Synthesizers.

IN:

1967 Fender Rhodes Student Model

$(KGrHqV,!ksE+7NtyKpgBQY1p22D(!~~60_57.J

2 of these

p31667.jpgp31667.jpg

A Cloudlifter Z

Cloudlifter_CL-Z.jpg

A Pigtronix Keymaster

Pigtronix-REM-Keymaster-Tilt-450x364.png

EHX English Muff'n

8161159104_0ae1b3695f_z.jpg

EHX vintage Hot Tubes (technically I purchased it on 12/28/2011, but it feels like a 2012 purchase)

6591803029_2390d1edf3_b.jpg

... and last but not least, an EHX Double Muff

$(KGrHqV,!pcE-v8GkcE,BPuoNmL63g~~60_12.J

• Members

I bought some very great stuff this year:

'99 Gibson Les Paul R7 - Such a awesome guitar. I use it a lot since I got it in august...I wonder why I didn't bought a LP before.

Johnny Marr Jaguar - Cool offset, a lot of good sounds available. For some reason, I didn't used that one a lot since I got it in march, I hope to use it more in 2013 in a future gig.

Orange Rocker 30 head - Got this one recently and I really love it so far. Very simple to use and it's hard to get a bad sounds out of that thing. I use it in a new metal/stoner project with some friends.

Moog MF-104m and Phaser - My great discoveries of the year. They just sound awesome. Expensive yes, but totally worth it IMO. I messed a lot with them, and I feel like I just scratched the surface. Still a lot of experiments to do!

Line6 M5 - I never been a multi-effects type of guy, but the M5 is great to have around. I use it on my big board to replace my old Holy Grail reverb, and also use it for delays, tremolo and other modulation.
For $150 used, I really happy with it so far!

Mooer Ensemble King and ElecLady - I think the Mooers pedals are the surprises of the year around here. Yes they are clones, but the sound very good, they are small and they are CHEAP!

EDQ Organizer - One of the few pedals I bought and sold this year. I didn't like the warble. I'm pretty sure I would have kept it if it wasn't for it. Lots of nice features though.

Malekko Helium - Another one I bought and sold. It was a very cool pedal, but didn't find a good use of it. I realize that I prefer non-fuzz octave pedal, because they are easier to stack, the exception being my Fulltone Octafuzz :-)

• Members

Let's see...

I bought this G&L ASAT Classic Custom in February. Got a decent deal on it in the TGP emporium and it quickly became my #1. Awesome guitar.

fe202d53.jpg

I sold my Taylor 114CE when I discovered that I wasn't using it as much as I thought I would. Made a couple hundred bucks on the flip and later bought an '02 Big Baby for $150 on Craigslist as a replacement. A much better solution for me, I think.

490d7c93.jpg

Pedal wise, I went through the following in 2012:

• Strymon BSR

Archived