buying a turntable online today

bluehuricane

• Members

^ ^ ^

Counterweights are important. Most 'set' weight are generally too heavy & will slowly eat the vinyl.

Stylus (needle) is also important. Many nowdays are industrial strength 'spherical' geared towards DJs. I prefer 'elliptical' -flows thru grooves & has better definition. Excellent for archiving.

A Cartridge is another important factor. Look for frequency response at least 20-20,000

Remember -it's not like a CD, there is physical contact with vinyl. The turntable must be leveled. A crooked turntable will dig too much into one side of the groove.

Have fun!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GREC

View Post

^ ^ ^

Counterweights are important. Most 'set' weight are generally too heavy & will slowly eat the vinyl...

The turntable must be leveled. A crooked turntable will dig too much into one side of the groove.

I agree with everything you're saying, though I just have to comment on this. I've been collecting vinyl since I was a kid in the 70s, and I still purchase music on vinyl. Now that I'm 43 years old, I've come to the realization that there isn't enough time left in my life to wear out even one record, much less the thousands of records I now possess facepalm.gif Having the time to sit back and enjoy a record is something I still indulge in... frequently... but it is a luxury, and one that isn't at all convenient for me.

So I've arrived at the attitude that vinyl is like any luxury item... wine, cognac, cigars, caviar, cologne... you enjoy it to its fullest and if it's ever gone, you just hope there is more somewhere to enjoy again someday. I try not to stress out anymore about preserving everything for some distant and hypothetical future that probably won't ever matter. Besides, part of my enjoyment in my records is the nostalgia factor... and all of those pops and cracks only add to that feeling that I've grown with that music over time like an old friend.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by falseswipe

View Post

Audio Technica ATLP-120

Best bang for your buck if you're buying a new table. If you don't get this one specifically--make sure you get something with a counterweight on the tonearm.

That's a decent first table. Another one that is comparable is the Denon DP300F. To save you the trouble of mounting a cartridge for the first time you might also consider a Music Hall MMF 2.2, which comes with a decent cartridge that is well-matched to the table and tonearm already mounted:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=MHMMF2.2

FWIW, you should probably be spending around $100 just to get a decent cartridge for listening, not DJing. Getting a turntable setup to sound its best can be a real tweakie experience: getting a cartridge that matches your tonearm and turntable's characteristics, mounting it correctly and setting tracking force and anti-skate is a bit of an art form.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever

View Post

I agree with everything you're saying, though I just have to comment on this. I've been collecting vinyl since I was a kid in the 70s, and I still purchase music on vinyl. Now that I'm 43 years old, I've come to the realization that there isn't enough time left in my life to wear out even one record, much less the thousands of records I now possess facepalm.gif Having the time to sit back and enjoy a record is something I still indulge in... frequently... but it is a luxury, and one that isn't at all convenient for me.

So I've arrived at the attitude that vinyl is like any luxury item... wine, cognac, cigars, caviar, cologne... you enjoy it to its fullest and if it's ever gone, you just hope there is more somewhere to enjoy again someday. I try not to stress out anymore about preserving everything for some distant and hypothetical future that probably won't ever matter. Besides, part of my enjoyment in my records is the nostalgia factor... and all of those pops and cracks only add to that feeling that I've grown with that music over time like an old friend.

I dig what you're saying. I've got a few years on you & have thousands of records too. But what about the future? Your albums might be passed down many generations after you are gone! Think about the KIDS!

I know you won't ever do it -but I've seen so many people thru the years use {censored} turntables. A bad old needle will destroy the walls of the groove. It will look fine but there will be a distorted upper mids abrasive tone.

Audiophiles were so crazy in the 70's -they were saying that you should let a record 'cool' one hour before re-playing because of heat/friction. Fact or fiction(?)

Yeah, I love that crackle sound. It's like sittin' around a craklin' fire on a summer night. Sometimes it can't be avoided when some weird obscure rarities like The Marshmellow Steamshovel's Mr Mold 45 has never officially been re-released & it's hard to find clean copies....freak.gif

• Members

assuming you already have a system to hook it too you prob don't want a usb turntable.

entry level project or rega or musichall would work well. you probably want to budget some cash for a decent cartridge too (it will make a huge difference)

Budget?

• Members

i have a receiver, and some speakers that i'll probably upgrade real soon, so for the record player i want to spend like 300 total, cartridge and stylus included, but i'm open to spending more down the line if the turntable itself is compatible with standard upgrades. btw, i got aqualung by jethro tull, exile on main street by the stones, creedence's greatest hits, the song remains the same, and a ten years after record (the one with woodchopper's ball). soon to expand the collection quite a bit after i have the set up lol

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bluehuricane

View Post

i have a receiver, and some speakers that i'll probably upgrade real soon, so for the record player i want to spend like 300 total, cartridge and stylus included, but i'm open to spending more down the line if the turntable itself is compatible with standard upgrades. btw, i got aqualung by jethro tull, exile on main street by the stones, creedence's greatest hits, the song remains the same, and a ten years after record (the one with woodchopper's ball). soon to expand the collection quite a bit after i have the set up lol

With that budget I highly recommend taking H-Bobs advice and hit Craig's for a used table. I got a 90's Rega P2 with a cheap At cart for about $250

Just dropped a new cart on it recently and it prob smokes any new entry level TT out now.

See what's around before you order Internet style.

• Members

I've bought several on CL, but generally they all needed some work. My advice for a good quality cartridge at a good price is the Red Ed elliptical at this site for $28...

http://www.edsaunders.com/reded.htm

And I've had some records wear out quickly (acquire noise) even on a decent turntable, where others stay pristine. Sometimes the vinyl quality is just crap. So it always helps to have decent equipment.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fly135

View Post

Sometimes the vinyl quality is just crap. So it always helps to have decent equipment.

Vinyl from the 80s was the worst. Especially in the US. They were recycling records that wouldn't sell. Swear I had an LP with a chunk of paper in it.

That's why I would try to buy UK imports -even though it was a couple dollars more, it was better quality vinyl.

• Members

this is all good info! i tested out my friend's audio technica (the one recommended in this thread) and it looks and sounds great. my friend also told me that the record store in olympia has a ton of record players so i'll check that out today and look for some of the brands mentioned

• Members

View Post

I've bought several on CL, but generally they all needed some work. My advice for a good quality cartridge at a good price is the Red Ed elliptical at this site for $28...

http://www.edsaunders.com/reded.htm

And I've had some records wear out quickly (acquire noise) even on a decent turntable, where others stay pristine. Sometimes the vinyl quality is just crap. So it always helps to have decent equipment.

$28 cart? i don't know.

I would just get a Ortofon 2M red not as cheap as $28 but well regarded in its price range.

haha i've bought new vinyl that already had noise. I'm just in the process of sending back a brand new record to amazon, its so warped it almost jumped the arm.... i sat down, looked up and was all WTF running for my table...

• Members

k so i bought an elac miracord 10h from rainy day records in olympia and it looks amazing and soundED good until just before i put on side 3 of exile on main st it wouldn't spin and i don't know how to fix it. the guy who sold it to me was really cool and gave me his card and told me to let him know if i had questions so i'm hoping he'll help me out tomorrow, but still a bummer. i also got a pair of speaker cabinets with electro-voice speakers and horns in them. i'll take pics later

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bluehuricane

View Post

hmm, started working this morning. AQUALUNG CRANKED TO 11! WOOHOO!

One of the TT I picked up on CL did that. I cleaned the speed control pot and it worked. Then it stopped again. Then worked again. Fortunately after a few cycles it settled into a working state.

• Members

View Post

One of the TT I picked up on CL did that. I cleaned the speed control pot and it worked. Then it stopped again. Then worked again. Fortunately after a few cycles it settled into a working state.

the turntable itself has a spring suspension system (i'm guessing to keep it for skipping, doesn't really seem to work but whatever) and i think maybe the car ride home rattled something cause i could hear it bouncing a bit in the back, but then again it worked perfectly the first time i used it and it wasn't until i put on the second record that it stopped working. everything works fine now though so i'm happy. i'll post pics later. also, it seems like this thing has a tendency to start skipping and repeating the last 4-5 seconds of the record, not a big deal but kind of annoying.

Archived