Recording question. Looking at new mics.

• Members

So, I got some Christmas cash yesterday that I'm looking to spend on some new mics. I have plenty of dynamic mics (57, i5, e609), and I have some cheap condensers. What would you guys do? Better large diaphragm condenser, or a ribbon mic?

I had been looking into the Cascade Fathead. I like the idea of their stereo pair for blumlein recording, but I can't help but wonder if I really only need one ribbon mic. How often would it really be necessary to have a stereo pair of ribbon mics if I normally only record vocals, and electric guitars, and acoustic guitars, and I record those at separate times? I'm assuming pretty much only for acoustic, or if I wanted to track two amps at once.

And I'm open to suggestions on condensers. I don't have anything right now that I really like for vocals. After typing this out I'm starting to wonder if I should just buy one Cascade Fathead, and a new condenser instead of worrying about getting a pair of Fatheads.

In any case, I'm not really sure what my budget is. I don't want to spend like $800 on a mic, but I don't think $200-300 is out of line at all. I could bump it up a bit, if there is a good reason. Just don't tell me to buy a Royer or something. That's not happening. Haha

Alright! Sell me on your favorite mics.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fathead II's are really nice microphones - big performance for little dosh, relatively speaking. I have no problem with recommending them. As far as needing a pair of them, in your situation, you probably don't. Yes, it would probably be nice for stereo recording, but outside of the acoustic, or blending two amps, I don't see you needing to do that very often - if you recorded drums on a regular basis, or foresaw that as a potential future need, then I'd suggest getting a stereo pair. If not, you're probably better off increasing your options, which means one condenser, and one ribbon.

The Fathead II's are really nice microphones - big performance for little dosh, relatively speaking. I have no problem with recommending them. As far as needing a pair of them, in your situation, you probably don't. Yes, it would probably be nice for stereo recording, but outside of the acoustic, or blending two amps, I don't see you needing to do that very often - if you recorded drums on a regular basis, or foresaw that as a potential future need, then I'd suggest getting a stereo pair. If not, you're probably better off increasing your options, which means one condenser, and one ribbon.

• Members

A large condenser in general is always a good choice when doubled up with a dynamic.

There are tons of good ones. I have and ADK A51 which is like a poor man's U87. The Cascade Fathead stuff is great.

What would you be using these for?

The pair of ribbon mics work great as overhead/room mics for drums but no need for 2 if you are just going to record guitars.

I like the audio technica stuff as well (the AT4040 is good) but there are TONS of great mics out there.

• Members

A large condenser in general is always a good choice when doubled up with a dynamic.

There are tons of good ones. I have and ADK A51 which is like a poor man's U87. The Cascade Fathead stuff is great.

What would you be using these for?

The pair of ribbon mics work great as overhead/room mics for drums but no need for 2 if you are just going to record guitars.

I like the audio technica stuff as well (the AT4040 is good) but there are TONS of great mics out there.

• Members

I use a blumlein pair of fatheads a lot, myself, and really it does sound much much better. You don't need multiple sound sources to get a lot of benefit from having a stereo setup. I usually just set them both in front of one cab, adjust to taste, and get a much more accurate translation of the actual amp/cab's sound that way.

I'd actually almost be interested in a second pair for stereo amp miking.

• Members

I use a blumlein pair of fatheads a lot, myself, and really it does sound much much better. You don't need multiple sound sources to get a lot of benefit from having a stereo setup. I usually just set them both in front of one cab, adjust to taste, and get a much more accurate translation of the actual amp/cab's sound that way.

• Members

First of all, thanks for all the suggestions so far! When I get some more free time tonight I'll make sure I read up on all of these. Thanks again though! thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Thanks for weighing in, Phil! I don't see myself recording drum mics very often, so that's not a huge concern for me. I normally just use EZ Drummer. I was just checking though, and I was thinking about getting the Cloudlifter from Cascade too. Then I realized that a Fathead plus the dual channel Cloudlifter would run me like $470, and Cascase has a bundle deal where they give you two Fatheads, and the Cloudlifter, and the Blumlein bar for $550, so for only like $80 more, I could get a second Fathead and the Blumlein bar. That definitely throws a bit of a wrench in my decision.

Also, do you have any suggestions for large diaphragm condensers for my uses? Again, ideally I'd like to go around $200-300, but I can bump it up a bit, if you think there is something worthwhile just out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

Hmm. This is definitely interesting, especially if you read my reply to Phil where I realized that if I'm getting the Cloudlifter, it would only be like $80 extra to get a second Fathead. So, when you're using the Blumlein set up, where do you normally like to position the mics? Just curious.

• Members

First of all, thanks for all the suggestions so far! When I get some more free time tonight I'll make sure I read up on all of these. Thanks again though! thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Thanks for weighing in, Phil! I don't see myself recording drum mics very often, so that's not a huge concern for me. I normally just use EZ Drummer. I was just checking though, and I was thinking about getting the Cloudlifter from Cascade too. Then I realized that a Fathead plus the dual channel Cloudlifter would run me like $470, and Cascase has a bundle deal where they give you two Fatheads, and the Cloudlifter, and the Blumlein bar for $550, so for only like $80 more, I could get a second Fathead and the Blumlein bar. That definitely throws a bit of a wrench in my decision.

Also, do you have any suggestions for large diaphragm condensers for my uses? Again, ideally I'd like to go around $200-300, but I can bump it up a bit, if you think there is something worthwhile just out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

Hmm. This is definitely interesting, especially if you read my reply to Phil where I realized that if I'm getting the Cloudlifter, it would only be like $80 extra to get a second Fathead. So, when you're using the Blumlein set up, where do you normally like to position the mics? Just curious.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Blakemore Effects

View Post

Then I realized that a Fathead plus the dual channel Cloudlifter would run me like $470, and Cascase has a bundle deal where they give you two Fatheads, and the Cloudlifter, and the Blumlein bar for $550, so for only like $80 more, I could get a second Fathead and the Blumlein bar. That definitely throws a bit of a wrench in my decision.

Looks like $499 to me. http://www.cascademicrophones.com/Cl...es_Bundle.html

• Members

View Post

Then I realized that a Fathead plus the dual channel Cloudlifter would run me like $470, and Cascase has a bundle deal where they give you two Fatheads, and the Cloudlifter, and the Blumlein bar for $550, so for only like $80 more, I could get a second Fathead and the Blumlein bar. That definitely throws a bit of a wrench in my decision.

Looks like $499 to me. http://www.cascademicrophones.com/Cl...es_Bundle.html

• Members

View Post

That's so weird. It's $499 from your page, but when I access the bundle from the accessories page, it says it's $549. http://www.cascademicrophones.com/CA...CROPHONES.html

Yeah, I ran into that same weirdness. I got to the page originally by googling "cascade fathead cloudlifter" or something like that. The bundle from the mics page (or whatever) leads to the same $549 bundle. I guess you can try to order from the $499 and see what happens? :shrug:

• Members

View Post

That's so weird. It's $499 from your page, but when I access the bundle from the accessories page, it says it's $549. http://www.cascademicrophones.com/CA...CROPHONES.html

Yeah, I ran into that same weirdness. I got to the page originally by googling "cascade fathead cloudlifter" or something like that. The bundle from the mics page (or whatever) leads to the same $549 bundle. I guess you can try to order from the $499 and see what happens? :shrug:

Archived