Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording question. Looking at new mics.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Blakemore Effects
    View Post

Holy ****************. That Seventh Circle Audio stuff looks right up my alley. I had just been looking into building another guitar amp, but I would much rather take on this as a project. Plus, it looks like they also have compressors and DIs and stuff that I can build. Thanks again for the suggestion! I am definitely going to be looking into this more.

Before you dive in, you really should consider Classic API kits. I've built 4 of their pres and they're crazy good.

With the API 500 series, there are a bunch of kit options
    Benjamin Allison

Check out my latest album, We Enter the Dark Room, Alone
    http://roestudios.com/

Comment

I'll be interested in reading what you think regarding the seventh circle stuff insofar as materials, instructions, etc. I've seen those for several years, but have never tried building one, or had the chance to try one out in person.

Their API clones look really interesting - if you do more than two, I'd definitely recommend building one or more of those. I am a big fan of Neve preamp designs, but I also absolutely adore my API 3124 too.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I'll be interested in reading what you think regarding the seventh circle stuff insofar as materials, instructions, etc. I've seen those for several years, but have never tried building one, or had the chance to try one out in person.

Their API clones look really interesting - if you do more than two, I'd definitely recommend building one or more of those. I am a big fan of Neve preamp designs, but I also absolutely adore my API 3124 too.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Good point about the 500 series Ben. That certainly has really taken off over the past few years.

- George Carlin

Comment

Good point about the 500 series Ben. That certainly has really taken off over the past few years.

- George Carlin

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
              View Post

There's new stuff almost daily. One thing I'm excited for: Serpent Audio is releasing a (supposedly bang on) 1176 clone that allows you to toggle between A and D versions, is stereo linkable, has a blend for parallel compression, and will likely but under $1000... it's insane! Their SSL stereo comp sounds great, and it's only $1100.

The 500 series is killer as of late.
              Benjamin Allison

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
                View Post

There's new stuff almost daily. One thing I'm excited for: Serpent Audio is releasing a (supposedly bang on) 1176 clone that allows you to toggle between A and D versions, is stereo linkable, has a blend for parallel compression, and will likely but under $1000... it's insane! Their SSL stereo comp sounds great, and it's only $1100.

Benjamin Allison

Comment

It also has a hpf so you can curtail pumping if you're smashing drum room or whatever, plus "four button mode" on a toggle switch:

http://west-tech.ru/images/art_news/...-splice_3q.jpg

I built Classic API's VP26 and VP28, which are based on older API designs, and are much gooeyer than modern APIs. They also sell opamp kits too.

The VP28s passes audio through two opamps and two trannies, so it's magically delicious.

Benjamin Allison

Comment

It also has a hpf so you can curtail pumping if you're smashing drum room or whatever, plus "four button mode" on a toggle switch:

http://west-tech.ru/images/art_news/...-splice_3q.jpg

I built Classic API's VP26 and VP28, which are based on older API designs, and are much gooeyer than modern APIs. They also sell opamp kits too.

The VP28s passes audio through two opamps and two trannies, so it's magically delicious.

Benjamin Allison

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ben_allison
                      View Post

An 1176 clone for a grand or less will be VERY popular. Especially with a blend control. It's also nice that they include stereo linkability, as well as the toggle switch for the A and D versions.

Any idea about the release date?

- George Carlin

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ben_allison
                        View Post

An 1176 clone for a grand or less will be VERY popular. Especially with a blend control. It's also nice that they include stereo linkability, as well as the toggle switch for the A and D versions.

Any idea about the release date?

- George Carlin

Comment

Wow - I'm surprised they were able to cram that all into a single space!

- George Carlin

Comment

Wow - I'm surprised they were able to cram that all into a single space!

- George Carlin

Comment

I'm way late here, but I went for a rather mundane mix of mics...cuz I like them from scuzzy-to-lush:

FatheadII w/a Lindhal

Sm57

a pair of old Sennheisers....I think they are 422s

one of the ribbon mics from that Lithuanian guy....Artur Fisher (not bad at all !!!)

CAD M177

MXL 990

Green Bullet

and an old D104 "Silver Eagle" ham radio mic

If I'm dual mic'ing something (and this is a VERY personal opinion) then I like to have two, non-identical mics.

There's no science behind this...just my preference.
                              Blind Doc Jones' Pickles....Cures What Ails Ya'Good Deals with: Catalinbread, BR4D/MojoHand (via his retailers), sh333 (teh debbil)Not around much any more

Comment

I'm way late here, but I went for a rather mundane mix of mics...cuz I like them from scuzzy-to-lush:

FatheadII w/a Lindhal

Sm57

a pair of old Sennheisers....I think they are 422s

one of the ribbon mics from that Lithuanian guy....Artur Fisher (not bad at all !!!)

CAD M177

MXL 990

Green Bullet

and an old D104 "Silver Eagle" ham radio mic

If I'm dual mic'ing something (and this is a VERY personal opinion) then I like to have two, non-identical mics.

There's no science behind this...just my preference.
                                Blind Doc Jones' Pickles....Cures What Ails Ya'Good Deals with: Catalinbread, BR4D/MojoHand (via his retailers), sh333 (teh debbil)Not around much any more

Comment

Working...
                                X