Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording question. Looking at new mics.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by ben_allison
    View Post

I bought an Apex 205, and I'll be replacing the transformer, and cutting a new ribbon. The end result will be amazing, will hang with ribbon mics that cost over $1000, and all for like, $150.

This sounds rad, I might have to give this a go.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ben_allison
      View Post

I bought an Apex 205, and I'll be replacing the transformer, and cutting a new ribbon. The end result will be amazing, will hang with ribbon mics that cost over $1000, and all for like, $150.

This sounds rad, I might have to give this a go.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo
        View Post

Depending on your Pre-Amp

I'd really consider looking into an AEA R84

Devastating on guitars really good acoustic instruments and vocals (depending on your voice).

EDIT: I just saw that you don't want to spend $800, the AEA might be out of your price range but if you do some research the ICIS isn't too far gone and worth every penny

my next mic.
        Near Grey

Comment

View Post

Depending on your Pre-Amp

I'd really consider looking into an AEA R84

Devastating on guitars really good acoustic instruments and vocals (depending on your voice).

EDIT: I just saw that you don't want to spend $800, the AEA might be out of your price range but if you do some research the ICIS isn't too far gone and worth every penny

my next mic.
          Near Grey

Comment

Alright, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Fat Head bundle, so I have two Fatheads, a dual channel Cloudlifter, and the blumlein bar on their way to me. It definitely sounds like the Fathead is pretty well regarded around here, so I'm happy I finally get to give them a shot.
            Blakemore Effects (I now sell Dr. Scientist and DMB pedals in addition to my own.)
            My pedal company.
            Facebook page for Blakemore Effects

Comment

Alright, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Fat Head bundle, so I have two Fatheads, a dual channel Cloudlifter, and the blumlein bar on their way to me. It definitely sounds like the Fathead is pretty well regarded around here, so I'm happy I finally get to give them a shot.
              Blakemore Effects (I now sell Dr. Scientist and DMB pedals in addition to my own.)
              My pedal company.

Comment

Loving this thread. I have 57s, an NT-1a (which I love, btw, for amp miking) and until recently had use of an SM7b.

Phil and/or others - I liked that SM7b a LOT, but would you recommend a ribbon mike over another condensor? the Cascade Fathead over the SM7b? A concern is that the ribbon is delicate, but since the only use would be in a home studio, I could take care of it ...

Comment

Loving this thread. I have 57s, an NT-1a (which I love, btw, for amp miking) and until recently had use of an SM7b.

Phil and/or others - I liked that SM7b a LOT, but would you recommend a ribbon mike over another condensor? the Cascade Fathead over the SM7b? A concern is that the ribbon is delicate, but since the only use would be in a home studio, I could take care of it ...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia
                    View Post

Cheap ribbons are typically going to sound far better than cheap condensers. A Cascade Fathead will be at home in a legit studio or a Hollywood sound stage. An MXL990? Don't think so. Cheap condensers often have a brittle, strident top end. There are a few that don't, but most are ****************.

You'd be better with more dynamics.
                    Benjamin Allison
                    http://roestudios.com/
                    http://benjamin-samuel.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia
                      View Post

Cheap ribbons are typically going to sound far better than cheap condensers. A Cascade Fathead will be at home in a legit studio or a Hollywood sound stage. An MXL990? Don't think so. Cheap condensers often have a brittle, strident top end. There are a few that don't, but most are ****************.

You'd be better with more dynamics.
                      Benjamin Allison

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Blakemore Effects
                        View Post

Alright, well, this brings up a new question. I'm pretty well sold on the Cascade Fathead, and the Cloudlifter, so for the extra $20 or whatever it is, I may as well just get the bundle with the two Fatheads, and the dual channel Cloudlifter.

After the comment about ribbon mics needing better preamps, I'm wondering if it would make more sense to upgrade my preamp (since I'm just using the stock stuff in my Mbox2) instead of getting a new condenser, or instead of the Cascade bundle. What can we tell me about preamps? I'm assuming my wallet is about to enter a world of hurt.

There's so much that goes into it, the ADDA converters, pre's, mics, room... etc, the whole recording game is a world of hurt, however you can get a really nice lunchbox pre for a decent price. A good pre amp might be a better way to go. An SM-57 sounds amazing on guitar..... given the right preamp.

It kind of comes down to, you can have the nicest guitar in the world but it will still sound like **************** through a bad amp.

The best vintage analog quality to price pre's I've found are made by ward beck. You can find a lot on ebay, though it has been going up in price lately.

Since you build effects, I would highly recommend this company to you

http://www.seventhcircleaudio.com/

You can build neve clones and all sorts of other preamps for next to nothing (in comparison to the real deal) and they sound amazing. Plus you can keep adding to them as you grow. A box full of these would serve a professional studio very well, it just requires some skill to build.

Comment

View Post

Alright, well, this brings up a new question. I'm pretty well sold on the Cascade Fathead, and the Cloudlifter, so for the extra $20 or whatever it is, I may as well just get the bundle with the two Fatheads, and the dual channel Cloudlifter.

After the comment about ribbon mics needing better preamps, I'm wondering if it would make more sense to upgrade my preamp (since I'm just using the stock stuff in my Mbox2) instead of getting a new condenser, or instead of the Cascade bundle. What can we tell me about preamps? I'm assuming my wallet is about to enter a world of hurt.

There's so much that goes into it, the ADDA converters, pre's, mics, room... etc, the whole recording game is a world of hurt, however you can get a really nice lunchbox pre for a decent price. A good pre amp might be a better way to go. An SM-57 sounds amazing on guitar..... given the right preamp.

It kind of comes down to, you can have the nicest guitar in the world but it will still sound like **************** through a bad amp.

The best vintage analog quality to price pre's I've found are made by ward beck. You can find a lot on ebay, though it has been going up in price lately.

You can build neve clones and all sorts of other preamps for next to nothing (in comparison to the real deal) and they sound amazing. Plus you can keep adding to them as you grow. A box full of these would serve a professional studio very well, it just requires some skill to build.

Comment

View Post

Holy ****************. That Seventh Circle Audio stuff looks right up my alley. I had just been looking into building another guitar amp, but I would much rather take on this as a project. Plus, it looks like they also have compressors and DIs and stuff that I can build. Thanks again for the suggestion! I am definitely going to be looking into this more.
                            My pedal company.

Comment

View Post

Holy ****************. That Seventh Circle Audio stuff looks right up my alley. I had just been looking into building another guitar amp, but I would much rather take on this as a project. Plus, it looks like they also have compressors and DIs and stuff that I can build. Thanks again for the suggestion! I am definitely going to be looking into this more.
                              My pedal company.

Comment

View Post

Before you dive in, you really should consider Classic API kits. I've built 4 of their pres and they're crazy good.

With the API 500 series, there are a bunch of kit options
                                Benjamin Allison

Comment

Working...
                                X