Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording question. Looking at new mics.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might want to look into advanced audio. Two friends of mine, both fairly well respected locally and nationally use and love these mics...

http://www.aamicrophones.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/laynegreenemusic
    http://laynegreene.bandcamp.com/

Comment

You might want to look into advanced audio. Two friends of mine, both fairly well respected locally and nationally use and love these mics...

http://www.aamicrophones.com/
      http://www.youtube.com/laynegreenemusic
      http://laynegreene.bandcamp.com/

Comment

First of all, thanks for all the suggestions so far! When I get some more free time tonight I'll make sure I read up on all of these. Thanks again though!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
        View Post

The Fathead II's are really nice microphones - big performance for little dosh, relatively speaking. I have no problem with recommending them. As far as needing a pair of them, in your situation, you probably don't. Yes, it would probably be nice for stereo recording, but outside of the acoustic, or blending two amps, I don't see you needing to do that very often - if you recorded drums on a regular basis, or foresaw that as a potential future need, then I'd suggest getting a stereo pair. If not, you're probably better off increasing your options, which means one condenser, and one ribbon.

Thanks for weighing in, Phil! I don't see myself recording drum mics very often, so that's not a huge concern for me. I normally just use EZ Drummer. I was just checking though, and I was thinking about getting the Cloudlifter from Cascade too. Then I realized that a Fathead plus the dual channel Cloudlifter would run me like $470, and Cascase has a bundle deal where they give you two Fatheads, and the Cloudlifter, and the Blumlein bar for $550, so for only like $80 more, I could get a second Fathead and the Blumlein bar. That definitely throws a bit of a wrench in my decision.

Also, do you have any suggestions for large diaphragm condensers for my uses? Again, ideally I'd like to go around $200-300, but I can bump it up a bit, if you think there is something worthwhile just out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by V
        View Post

I use a blumlein pair of fatheads a lot, myself, and really it does sound much much better. You don't need multiple sound sources to get a lot of benefit from having a stereo setup. I usually just set them both in front of one cab, adjust to taste, and get a much more accurate translation of the actual amp/cab's sound that way.

I'd actually almost be interested in a second pair for stereo amp miking.

Hmm. This is definitely interesting, especially if you read my reply to Phil where I realized that if I'm getting the Cloudlifter, it would only be like $80 extra to get a second Fathead. So, when you're using the Blumlein set up, where do you normally like to position the mics? Just curious.
        Blakemore Effects (I now sell Dr. Scientist and DMB pedals in addition to my own.)
        My pedal company.
        Facebook page for Blakemore Effects

Comment

First of all, thanks for all the suggestions so far! When I get some more free time tonight I'll make sure I read up on all of these. Thanks again though!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
          View Post

The Fathead II's are really nice microphones - big performance for little dosh, relatively speaking. I have no problem with recommending them. As far as needing a pair of them, in your situation, you probably don't. Yes, it would probably be nice for stereo recording, but outside of the acoustic, or blending two amps, I don't see you needing to do that very often - if you recorded drums on a regular basis, or foresaw that as a potential future need, then I'd suggest getting a stereo pair. If not, you're probably better off increasing your options, which means one condenser, and one ribbon.

Thanks for weighing in, Phil! I don't see myself recording drum mics very often, so that's not a huge concern for me. I normally just use EZ Drummer. I was just checking though, and I was thinking about getting the Cloudlifter from Cascade too. Then I realized that a Fathead plus the dual channel Cloudlifter would run me like $470, and Cascase has a bundle deal where they give you two Fatheads, and the Cloudlifter, and the Blumlein bar for $550, so for only like $80 more, I could get a second Fathead and the Blumlein bar. That definitely throws a bit of a wrench in my decision.

Also, do you have any suggestions for large diaphragm condensers for my uses? Again, ideally I'd like to go around $200-300, but I can bump it up a bit, if you think there is something worthwhile just out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by V
          View Post

I use a blumlein pair of fatheads a lot, myself, and really it does sound much much better. You don't need multiple sound sources to get a lot of benefit from having a stereo setup. I usually just set them both in front of one cab, adjust to taste, and get a much more accurate translation of the actual amp/cab's sound that way.

I'd actually almost be interested in a second pair for stereo amp miking.

Hmm. This is definitely interesting, especially if you read my reply to Phil where I realized that if I'm getting the Cloudlifter, it would only be like $80 extra to get a second Fathead. So, when you're using the Blumlein set up, where do you normally like to position the mics? Just curious.
          Blakemore Effects (I now sell Dr. Scientist and DMB pedals in addition to my own.)
          My pedal company.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Blakemore Effects
            View Post

Then I realized that a Fathead plus the dual channel Cloudlifter would run me like $470, and Cascase has a bundle deal where they give you two Fatheads, and the Cloudlifter, and the Blumlein bar for $550, so for only like $80 more, I could get a second Fathead and the Blumlein bar. That definitely throws a bit of a wrench in my decision.

Looks like $499 to me. http://www.cascademicrophones.com/Cl...es_Bundle.html
            Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro, Epiphone Les Paul Standard (for sale), Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AF75 (for sale), Alvarez Artist, Washburn Taurus, Fender Precision, Rogue MandolinAmps: Traynor YCV40WR, SWR LA12, Behringer BX3000T head/Steel Sound 2x12 bass cabPedals: Too many to list...Good deals: knives490, slufay, Jim Hunter, deadanddreaming, lank81, MickTaylorFan, jmecale72, billy budapest, melx, CRANK, Mdsmithii, juankyman

Comment

View Post

Then I realized that a Fathead plus the dual channel Cloudlifter would run me like $470, and Cascase has a bundle deal where they give you two Fatheads, and the Cloudlifter, and the Blumlein bar for $550, so for only like $80 more, I could get a second Fathead and the Blumlein bar. That definitely throws a bit of a wrench in my decision.

Looks like $499 to me. http://www.cascademicrophones.com/Cl...es_Bundle.html
              Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro, Epiphone Les Paul Standard (for sale), Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AF75 (for sale), Alvarez Artist, Washburn Taurus, Fender Precision, Rogue MandolinAmps: Traynor YCV40WR, SWR LA12, Behringer BX3000T head/Steel Sound 2x12 bass cabPedals: Too many to list...Good deals: knives490, slufay, Jim Hunter, deadanddreaming, lank81, MickTaylorFan, jmecale72, billy budapest, melx, CRANK, Mdsmithii, juankyman

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dkerwood
                View Post

That's so weird. It's $499 from your page, but when I access the bundle from the accessories page, it says it's $549. http://www.cascademicrophones.com/CA...CROPHONES.html
                My pedal company.

Comment

View Post

That's so weird. It's $499 from your page, but when I access the bundle from the accessories page, it says it's $549. http://www.cascademicrophones.com/CA...CROPHONES.html
                  My pedal company.

Comment

View Post

Yeah, I ran into that same weirdness. I got to the page originally by googling "cascade fathead cloudlifter" or something like that. The bundle from the mics page (or whatever) leads to the same $549 bundle. I guess you can try to order from the $499 and see what happens? :shrug:

Comment

View Post

Yeah, I ran into that same weirdness. I got to the page originally by googling "cascade fathead cloudlifter" or something like that. The bundle from the mics page (or whatever) leads to the same $549 bundle. I guess you can try to order from the $499 and see what happens? :shrug:

Comment

View Post

I tried to Google a similar phrase, like "cascade cloudlifter" or something, and got to the $499 page. Added it to my cart, and it looks like it took. Hopefully they don't change this before I decide to make a decision. If I decide to go this route than saving an extra $50 would be awesome.
                        My pedal company.

Comment

View Post

I tried to Google a similar phrase, like "cascade cloudlifter" or something, and got to the $499 page. Added it to my cart, and it looks like it took. Hopefully they don't change this before I decide to make a decision. If I decide to go this route than saving an extra $50 would be awesome.
                          My pedal company.

Comment

Alright, so doing some research didn't help last night. I still want everything.

Those Advanced Audio mics look pretty cool though, but the SM7b, Rode, AT 4033, etc. All look good. I'm a bit stuck at the moment.
                            My pedal company.

Comment

Alright, so doing some research didn't help last night. I still want everything.

Those Advanced Audio mics look pretty cool though, but the SM7b, Rode, AT 4033, etc. All look good. I'm a bit stuck at the moment.
                              My pedal company.

Comment

Depending on your Pre-Amp

I'd really consider looking into an AEA R84

Devastating on guitars really good acoustic instruments and vocals (depending on your voice).

I find there really aren't many perfect vocal mics, it really depends on what kind of voice you have and what you're after. Sometimes an sm-57 sounds better on someones voice than a 3000$ Neumann.

If I could only use one mic it would probably be a ribbon like this one just because I prefer that type of sound,

Pre amps are vital, especially with ribbons, so keep that in mind.

A really good large diaphram mic for a really good price is this one (if you can find one used)

sE Electronics ICIS, sE is made by Neve, they make really nice stuff. I think I found mine used for under $400

EDIT: I just saw that you don't want to spend $800, the AEA might be out of your price range but if you do some research the ICIS isn't too far gone and worth every penny

Comment

Working...
                                X