ot: i want an MPC1000

PKTrono

• Members

i used iMPC on my girlfriend's ipad all morning and really liked it. so talk to me about the big boy version. does anyone use one? how do you use it? do you love it above all things? do you have a link to something you made with it? is there a thread on page two already about this?

always (but not forever),
dav

• Members

I've got one. I use it as my main MIDI sequencer. I sequence all of my synths, drum machines, and effects with it.

It replaced my MPC 2k, so I've been using them a while. It's the best, easiest to use hardware sequencer/sampler I know of.

I can't find anything up currently that I used my 1k on, but I have plenty of stuff online with my 2k.

Here you go.

TNF - Wide Open

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by macadood

View Post

dav pls.

never used one but it looks pretty dohp. whats your gf have it for on her ipad??

for my enjoyment, mostly! but she also wants me to show her how it works. she's interested in sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Noise Factory

View Post

I've got one. I use it as my main MIDI sequencer. I sequence all of my synths, drum machines, and effects with it.

It replaced my MPC 2k, so I've been using them a while. It's the best, easiest to use hardware sequencer/sampler I know of.

I can't find anything up currently that I used my 1k on, but I have plenty of stuff online with my 2k.

Here you go.

TNF - Wide Open

dig it! i figured you had one, and your opinion of it makes me want one even more. can't wait to hear the piece when i'm home. thanks!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PKTrono

View Post

for my enjoyment, mostly! but she also wants me to show her how it works. she's interested in sampling.

dig it! i figured you had one, and your opinion of it makes me want one even more. can't wait to hear the piece when i'm home. thanks!

No problem! I've found that the 1k is much easier to use for sampling since you can transfer files from a PC to it very easily after editing them on the PC. Its a bit more fiddly to edit onboard the 1k, but loads better than it was back when i was sequencing with my ASR-10. The sequencer is rock solid on the MPCs!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reauchambeau

View Post

I was talked out of the MPC1000 and into the NI Maschine, no regrets

Having owned both (a 1000 and 2000XL and a Maschine and Maschine Mikro), I greatly preferred the MPCs. I think part of it (probably a big part), is that I grew accustomed to the MPC workflow early on, plus the standalone nature of the MPCs is a huge plus in my books. I've heard the JJOS is fantastic for the MPC, never had a chance to try it though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gnarly

View Post

Having owned both (a 1000 and 2000XL and a Maschine and Maschine Mikro), I greatly preferred the MPCs. I think part of it (probably a big part), is that I grew accustomed to the MPC workflow early on, plus the standalone nature of the MPCs is a huge plus in my books. I've heard the JJOS is fantastic for the MPC, never had a chance to try it though.

I installed JJos as soon as I got my 1k. So, I don't really know the differences between the 1k, and JJos. icon_lol.gif

I can speak about the workflow of the MPC being excellent. I've made sooo many songs on MPCs.

• Members

I loved mine. There's a few less bells and whistles on the 2kXL compared to the 1k, but I really loved working with both of mine.

Using SCSI on my 2kXL was a pain in the ass, and the floppies are pretty much a joke at this point. The 1k wins here for ease of large file transfer.

I actually think the pads on the 2k series were better than the 1k. Just softer, and more precise. Plus, it hurts the fingers less after banging on it for hours on end.

My only gripe about my 2kXL is that the display on it crapped out after about 7 or so years. Get one with a new display if you can!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PKTrono

View Post

unless i misunderstood, you need to use floppies with the xl? yikes. that pretty much rules it out for me. i see one here with a card reader but I was really liking the usb deal with the 1000.

Yeah, there were some conversions made on the 2kXLs since they made card readers that are the same size, and mounting style as the floppy drive was. As I understood it, it was a pretty easy swap to make. I've got no idea if the card readers are still easy to find though, and I'm not aware that Akai sold the 2kXL with a card reader, but I could be wrong.

The USB support was why I finally upgraded. That and the 250 GB drive that I put in my 1k. I'm pretty sure I will never fill that up.

• Members

I was going to get one for a long time, although {censored}ing around with that tiny screen and the strange software is not something I'm wanting to do.

If you're using it live it's awesome to reliably keep and sequence/trigger samples, it is also fun to play with it on the fly, but if you don't have something like ableton live to get your samples the way you want prior to dumping then I could see it not being the best thing to get.

That's my opinion. As for triggering samples and what not it's great, but the thing is fairly dated as of right now, definitely do not give you a lot of storage etc, but they are solid. I refuse to use a laptop in a live situation, so if I were to get one, I'd get one just for live performances.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reauchambeau

View Post

I was talked out of the MPC1000 and into the NI Maschine, no regrets

I actually love Maschine, but sometimes I wish I had an MPC. I think I would love Maschine better if I had a laptop to run it on and could just synch it to Pro Tools. I find it to be clunky to run as a plugin.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gnarly

View Post

+1 to everything Texas said about the 1000 vs 2000XL. If I get another MPC it'll be the 1000, I've seen them around $350-$450 and I'd say they're more than worth it at that price.

yeah that's what i've been seeing them at, and why i'm actually considering it love.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldenglove

View Post

Check your PMs, man!

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo

View Post

I was going to get one for a long time, although {censored}ing around with that tiny screen and the strange software is not something I'm wanting to do.

If you're using it live it's awesome to reliably keep and sequence/trigger samples, it is also fun to play with it on the fly, but if you don't have something like ableton live to get your samples the way you want prior to dumping then I could see it not being the best thing to get.

That's my opinion. As for triggering samples and what not it's great, but the thing is fairly dated as of right now, definitely do not give you a lot of storage etc, but they are solid. I refuse to use a laptop in a live situation, so if I were to get one, I'd get one just for live performances.

that's the idea. i'd do some writing with it maybe, but mostly it's a means to get my stuff perform-able

Quote Originally Posted by cryptosonic

View Post

If you don't mind going the computer route Poise or Geist VST's and a used pad controller can be had for cheaps and are a lot of fun.

i'm considering getting a pad controller and writing my own program in max/msp in the meantime, but the main idea is to use it live and using a crappy laptop i have as basically a big hard drive for it. i wouldn't rely on the laptop to do any heavy lifting though.

i'm still getting into the whole idea so that may actually work. there are some functions on the MPC that i'm really into, though.

thanks for the replies everyone, and i welcome any more tips/ideas! love.gif

Archived