Might be looking into a 2nd amp... Thoughts?

delayed delay

• Members

Thinking about getting a 2nd amp to compliment my Gabriel. I've got quite a few gig opportunities coming up where I'll be able to run a stereo rig, and that's something I've always wanted to do anyway.

The Gabriel Voxer (18 watt) I've got has 2 channels: Vox AC15 in one, Marshall 18 watt in the other.

So I can't really decide on what to potentially add.... Something entirely different (ala Fender (Princeton maybe? Hiwatt/Reeves?), or something similar (another Vox AC15/Marshall-esque amp?), or something in between (Dr. Z Maz 18?)...

So to you guys that run multiple amp set ups, what do you prefer? I was leaning towards a Princeton, but then I was thinking it needed to be something that took a Timmy really well... Just needs to be something where I don't have to revamp the drive section of my board... Gotten pretty comfortable with the way my board is.

• Members

I run stereo now, with an AC15, and can't wait to pair it with a DRRI. Or a Princeton, either good choices it would seem to me. You might not always run stereo too, so just having something at hand that's different than your main amp would seem to be a handy thing to have. I probably wouldn't make it a huge/heavy amp since you'll be lugging quite a bit of gear around.

The Timmy should be fine with a Fender amp, but maybe add a Voyager too if you need some extra mids perhaps. Probably not necessary, but wouldn't hurt to have it around. More gas!

Princeton or a Deluxe. Either a BF, SF or a II series. I run a BF'd 71 Princeton Amp with an AC15 and love it. Alternatively, I use my Princeton Reverb II instead of the Princeton Amp, which is a bit different, but also very cool. Sometimes I run my Princeton with my Marshall Class 5 - again, the pair works very well together.

Class5andPrincetonAmp1.jpg

Get a Fender. smile.gif It will give you a different tone for recording. It will work great with a Vox or Marshall type amp in stereo. It's a very versatile setup.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Princeton or a Deluxe. Either a BF, SF or a II series. I run a BF'd 71 Princeton Amp with an AC15 and love it. Alternatively, I use my Princeton Reverb II instead of the Princeton Amp, which is a bit different, but also very cool. Sometimes I run my Princeton with my Marshall Class 5 - again, the pair works very well together.

Get a Fender. smile.gif It will give you a different tone for recording. It will work great with a Vox or Marshall type amp in stereo. It's a very versatile setup.
Good point regarding the recording versatility as well Phil...

I forgot to mention I'll be headed into the studio in a couple months to lay down some lead tracks for a local church I just started playing with. I'm pretty stoked, and would love to have my setup sound as big as possible.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

I ran my class 5 in stereo with my blues jr. a couple of times when I still had the marshall, it was a beautiful combo. I need to run my AC15 and BJ in stereo, just haven't had the chance yet.

I really need a princeton.

Archived