So I have an RE-20 headed my way...

ben_allison

• Members

I've been around the block and back with delays. It seems to be the one thing I've never really been able to nail down.

DMM: too noisy, overloads too quickly, and doesn't have tap.
Memory Lane: same gripes as the DMM.
Timeline: too clean, and doesn't degrade the right way.
M9: no global tap, so delay times change when you change presets.
Supa Puss: disappointment of the century.

And those are just some of the highlights. There have to be at least 15-20 more.

The other day I remembered the time I spent demoing an RE-20 a few years back, and that I fell in love, but ultimately passed because of the lack of modulation. But, it dawned on me: I can add my own vibrato before or after, to taste... so, we'll see how that goes.

I know EchoDee digs the RE-20. Any other miscreants here not ashamed to say they actually like something with the name Boss on it?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by PKTrono

View Post

have and enjoy. i use an el cap primarily though

Yeah, I tried to get into the El Cap and Brigadier models in the Timeline, but the repeats didn't have the right kind of grit or eq...

Quote Originally Posted by ArrMatey

View Post

Good pedal but it affected too much the tone for it to be a mainstay on my board. I hope it works great for you. It was an awesome pedal though. Really close to the sound of an actual re-201!

See, I don't mind! I know that will bug some people, but I'm all for colour if the end result sound good. It might have been nice if Boss included a "clean pass through" option. C'est la vie.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by macadood

View Post

i dont get any tone suck with mine idn_smilie.gif love it too.

Well, it def affects your dry tone, and I think that bothers some people (purists?), but I would never call it "tone suck." The preamps from some tape delays have been turned into pedals in their own right (like the various EP-3 clones).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tourist

View Post

I like the RE-20, but I like the El Cap so much more. I feel you on the squeaky cleanness of the Timeline, but to my ears the El Cap gets grittier and degrades in a much cooler way.

I don't doubt that it does! The problem is I have something uber specific I'm chasing. What gets closest is actually the DM2 model on the M9. The kind of distortion, plus the particular way it bandpasses the repeats, but also (being digital) manages to still remain articulate is something I really haven't found elsewhere, except in the RE-20, and possibly even more so. We'll see!

I'm not going to lie though: the El Cap has always been tempting. Maybe at some point I'll add one. You can never have too many delays!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ben_allison

View Post

The other day I remembered the time I spent demoing an RE-20 a few years back, and that I fell in love, but ultimately passed because of the lack of modulation. But, it dawned on me: I can add my own vibrato before or after, to taste... so, we'll see how that goes.

Hmmm..... on the re-201 i had the "modulation" (the warbliness of the tape) was the thing I loved most about it. So the re-20 doesn't recreate that?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ben_allison

View Post

Well, it def affects your dry tone, and I think that bothers some people (purists?), but I would never call it "tone suck." The preamps from some tape delays have been turned into pedals in their own right (like the various EP-3 clones).

its the input knob thing. It isn't bypassed with the bypassing of the delay, that kind of bugged me when I had it. Its a great delay though, no doubt.

• Members

Supa Puss disappointment of the century? Maybe you really don't like/need delays. What was it about the SP that you didn't like? I liked mine initially, then was sort of meh with it. Spent more time lately really dialing it in, it's not a set and forget delay (which is surprising), and now I love it. It does have some limitations, but all are easily to work with, I found. I agree with the DMM comments though, the short delay time and white noise always bothered me. The SP has neither of that.

I would also recommend maybe you try the Skreddy Echo if you need another delay option.

Archived