I played an entire set using the 'wrong' sound last night

Lanefair

• Members

Big NYE gig, and I'd left the boost switch on my Classic 30 on all night. I never use that thing. I wondered why it sounded so blistering. Killed the clean channel a bit.

Anyone done anything sillier, like leave a phaser on or something?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lanefair

View Post

Big NYE gig, and I'd left the boost switch on my Classic 30 on all night. I never use that thing. I wondered why it sounded so blistering. Killed the clean channel a bit.

Well, not really entire set but most oftentimes, I forget to turn off my Wah after I use it... killing a few seconds of supposedly, the 'right' sound that I should play smile.gif

• Members

View Post

Well, not really entire set but most oftentimes, I forget to turn off my Wah after I use it... killing a few seconds of supposedly, the 'right' sound that I should play smile.gif

• Members

View Post

go ahead, tell me someone noticed?

lol

• Members

View Post

go ahead, tell me someone noticed?

lol

• Members

My first gig we played Black Magic Woman. For the life of me I could not figure out what happened to my sound. Halfway through I realized my Sunface wasn't on - no LED.

Nothing worse for your playing than staring at cables and tap-dancing on your pedalboard.

• Members

My first gig we played Black Magic Woman. For the life of me I could not figure out what happened to my sound. Halfway through I realized my Sunface wasn't on - no LED.

Nothing worse for your playing than staring at cables and tap-dancing on your pedalboard.

• Members

I played a set last week where no matter how many times I went to tune my guitar, everything just sounded a hair off. I'd tune, get everything PERFECT, strum a few chords before the song to check, and then still be off just enough to keep me making stinkfaces and asking everyone else to tune thier {censored}. Last song in, I realize the tuner on my M9 has had the reference pitch knob turned somehow from 440hz to 445hz. Needless to say, I didn't tell anyone and just quietly turned it back. facepalm.gif nothing more offsetting than playing a set just a little sharper than everyone else.

• Members

I played a set last week where no matter how many times I went to tune my guitar, everything just sounded a hair off. I'd tune, get everything PERFECT, strum a few chords before the song to check, and then still be off just enough to keep me making stinkfaces and asking everyone else to tune thier {censored}. Last song in, I realize the tuner on my M9 has had the reference pitch knob turned somehow from 440hz to 445hz. Needless to say, I didn't tell anyone and just quietly turned it back. facepalm.gif nothing more offsetting than playing a set just a little sharper than everyone else.

• Members

Back in March we played some unofficial SXSW gigs and I let a girl from an Italian dream pop duo use my Jazzmaster at a couple shows we both happened to play. She changed the tuning for one of their songs and didn't change it back. And I hadn't noticed she changed it during her set. I usually check the tuning on my guitar before we play, but we were in a rush to start and the guitar usually does a good job staying in tune and I probably thought to myself "oh she just checked it a few minutes ago". Well, I ended up playing most of our first song in an alternate tuning. Whoops. I think the only saving grace was the other guys in the band played louder than usual so I don't think many people could hear me , which is also why I didn't notice right away. Only when I went back to turn up my amp during a part of the song I don't play in did I hear what was wrong.

Another time she had flipped the rhythm circuit switch, and I spent half a set wondering why I sounded so muffled. Moral of the story: Always check your guitar tuning, knobs and switches at the start of every set.

• Members

Back in March we played some unofficial SXSW gigs and I let a girl from an Italian dream pop duo use my Jazzmaster at a couple shows we both happened to play. She changed the tuning for one of their songs and didn't change it back. And I hadn't noticed she changed it during her set. I usually check the tuning on my guitar before we play, but we were in a rush to start and the guitar usually does a good job staying in tune and I probably thought to myself "oh she just checked it a few minutes ago". Well, I ended up playing most of our first song in an alternate tuning. Whoops. I think the only saving grace was the other guys in the band played louder than usual so I don't think many people could hear me , which is also why I didn't notice right away. Only when I went back to turn up my amp during a part of the song I don't play in did I hear what was wrong.

Another time she had flipped the rhythm circuit switch, and I spent half a set wondering why I sounded so muffled. Moral of the story: Always check your guitar tuning, knobs and switches at the start of every set.

Archived