What do you guys think about refurbished gear?

Josh33

• Members

Looking at getting a new recording interface and the savings of getting a manufacturer refurbished unit is really tempting me.

All gear is different.. there are some things i absolutely want brand new and there are many things that i wouldn't mind getting refurbished at a cheaper price..

heck.. most pedals i buy are used and abused.

just curious about your general feelings on the issue.

• Members

interesting ideas fellas. The unit im looking at comes from an authorized dealer and has a 1 year warranty with it.. Cant really see a bad side if i can save a couple of bucks. It's not like i would be using it everyday to make a living so if it breaks and i have to send it out, it wouldnt be a big issue.

• Members

interesting ideas fellas. The unit im looking at comes from an authorized dealer and has a 1 year warranty with it.. Cant really see a bad side if i can save a couple of bucks. It's not like i would be using it everyday to make a living so if it breaks and i have to send it out, it wouldnt be a big issue.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Josh33

View Post

head on son...

you've answered your own ?...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Josh33

View Post

head on son...

you've answered your own ?...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n

View Post

If you thinnk about it, refurbed gear (from the manufacturer - not a simple rebox at the store) probably undergoes more intensive, individualized QC than a standard off-the-shelf unit.

Actually, this is probably not the case. The manufacturer probably gave the dealer a full refund for the wholesale cost, and may have even picked up the return shipping costs. If they're reselling it through a dealer at a lower wholesale cost then they've already lost any profit they would have made on it. Selling it as a refurb is just an attempt to keep from losing the entire value of the product. They're not going to want to invest any more time or money into it than they absolutely have to. They wouldn't have to spend much time on it before it would be cheaper to just scrap it.

In most cases, I'd bet they give it to a tech to diagnose and repair. The first thing the tech would do is run the final test procedure on it. If it's a big manufacturer then that test is probably fully automated. If it passes that test then they assume it's operator error, put it back in the box, and slap a refurb sticker on it. If it fails then they diagnose it to the bad part (or subassembly if individual parts aren't easily replaceable), replace the faulty part, and rerun the test. If it passes then it goes back in the box.

Techs at most electronics manufacturing companies don't do QC. They just run the automated test equipment to verify that the product works. If it doesn't then they troubleshoot it to identify the faulty part and send it back for rework. Troubleshooting is often guided fault isolation where the ATE system walks the tech through the troubleshooting procedure, even telling the tech where to put the probe while the ATE performs the measurement. Test engineers usually write those guided fault isolation procedures, so the techs sometimes don't even fully understand how the unit works. They just do what the ATE system tells them to do.

Whether a repaired refurb goes back to QC for inspection depends on the company's policies. For most consumer electronics companies I'd guess it probably doesn't. It was inspected before they originally sold it, and the only thing that should have changed is whatever the tech replaced. They'd probably assume that the tech could inspect their own work. The tech might give it a quick once over to ensure that there aren't any obvious problems like broken knobs or switches, but they're not going to scrutinize it if it passed the test.

Bear in mind that it's been a long time since I worked in the consumer electronics industry as either a tech or engineer (being a boutique pedal maker doesn't count), and not all companies are the same. One thing I can say with some confidence is they aren't going to spend more on a refurb than they're going to recover when they sell it. Profit margins are often so low that even a production unit that requires rework because it didn't pass the first time has already wiped out any profit they would have made. The only reason they bother to rework it is to avoid losing the cost of the materials that went into making it. When the cost of the labor required to salvage it exceeds the cost of the materials then it's no longer worth it. The unit is scrap.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n

View Post

If you thinnk about it, refurbed gear (from the manufacturer - not a simple rebox at the store) probably undergoes more intensive, individualized QC than a standard off-the-shelf unit.

Actually, this is probably not the case. The manufacturer probably gave the dealer a full refund for the wholesale cost, and may have even picked up the return shipping costs. If they're reselling it through a dealer at a lower wholesale cost then they've already lost any profit they would have made on it. Selling it as a refurb is just an attempt to keep from losing the entire value of the product. They're not going to want to invest any more time or money into it than they absolutely have to. They wouldn't have to spend much time on it before it would be cheaper to just scrap it.

In most cases, I'd bet they give it to a tech to diagnose and repair. The first thing the tech would do is run the final test procedure on it. If it's a big manufacturer then that test is probably fully automated. If it passes that test then they assume it's operator error, put it back in the box, and slap a refurb sticker on it. If it fails then they diagnose it to the bad part (or subassembly if individual parts aren't easily replaceable), replace the faulty part, and rerun the test. If it passes then it goes back in the box.

Techs at most electronics manufacturing companies don't do QC. They just run the automated test equipment to verify that the product works. If it doesn't then they troubleshoot it to identify the faulty part and send it back for rework. Troubleshooting is often guided fault isolation where the ATE system walks the tech through the troubleshooting procedure, even telling the tech where to put the probe while the ATE performs the measurement. Test engineers usually write those guided fault isolation procedures, so the techs sometimes don't even fully understand how the unit works. They just do what the ATE system tells them to do.

Whether a repaired refurb goes back to QC for inspection depends on the company's policies. For most consumer electronics companies I'd guess it probably doesn't. It was inspected before they originally sold it, and the only thing that should have changed is whatever the tech replaced. They'd probably assume that the tech could inspect their own work. The tech might give it a quick once over to ensure that there aren't any obvious problems like broken knobs or switches, but they're not going to scrutinize it if it passed the test.

Bear in mind that it's been a long time since I worked in the consumer electronics industry as either a tech or engineer (being a boutique pedal maker doesn't count), and not all companies are the same. One thing I can say with some confidence is they aren't going to spend more on a refurb than they're going to recover when they sell it. Profit margins are often so low that even a production unit that requires rework because it didn't pass the first time has already wiped out any profit they would have made. The only reason they bother to rework it is to avoid losing the cost of the materials that went into making it. When the cost of the labor required to salvage it exceeds the cost of the materials then it's no longer worth it. The unit is scrap.

• Members

I got a killer deal on my AT4050 because it was refurbished and because there was plenty enough testimony and trust going for 8th Street at the time that I didn't think twice about buying from them. So I'd say it has more to do with how much you trust the seller to give you a good product no matter what the condition.

• Members

I got a killer deal on my AT4050 because it was refurbished and because there was plenty enough testimony and trust going for 8th Street at the time that I didn't think twice about buying from them. So I'd say it has more to do with how much you trust the seller to give you a good product no matter what the condition.

Archived