Whats a decent acoutic for the money?

Bill Cosby

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For that money, I say it starts and ends with Yamaha. I would steer clear of all the primarily electric brands like Fender/Epi/Ibanez, and that's not enough for a Martin (unless you wanted a 3/4 scale, which I absolutely would, but that's neither here nor there), so yeah, Yamaha.

I have a Yamaha FG Junior 3/4 scale and it sounds great. Their full size ones are pretty nice for the money as well.

• Members

For that money, I say it starts and ends with Yamaha. I would steer clear of all the primarily electric brands like Fender/Epi/Ibanez, and that's not enough for a Martin (unless you wanted a 3/4 scale, which I absolutely would, but that's neither here nor there), so yeah, Yamaha.

I have a Yamaha FG Junior 3/4 scale and it sounds great. Their full size ones are pretty nice for the money as well.

• Members

I got a martin 12 string for about 400 bucks and it not only outplayed, but sounded much nicer than any other guitar in the whole place. we tried about a dozen looking for the diamond in the rough haha. Was a nice place too, the acoustic room had well over 60 acoustics on the wall. Play around, sometimes you get lucky!

Takamine makes a few low priced models that might do the job as well as yamaha.

• Members

I got a martin 12 string for about 400 bucks and it not only outplayed, but sounded much nicer than any other guitar in the whole place. we tried about a dozen looking for the diamond in the rough haha. Was a nice place too, the acoustic room had well over 60 acoustics on the wall. Play around, sometimes you get lucky!

Takamine makes a few low priced models that might do the job as well as yamaha.

• Members

Can't go wrong with something like a Yamaha FG720 or 730. Basic but decent action, intonation and a good sound. Plus it works fine with fingerpicking and plectrum. Other than that maybe a Taylor, but that'll cost a bit more. Obviously try it out first.

• Members

Can't go wrong with something like a Yamaha FG720 or 730. Basic but decent action, intonation and a good sound. Plus it works fine with fingerpicking and plectrum. Other than that maybe a Taylor, but that'll cost a bit more. Obviously try it out first.

• Members

For that price range, the following are IMO the best choices:

Epiphone Masterbilt
Seagull
Guild GAD (especially the older line) - possibly
Recording King
Yamaha

Not that long ago, I upgraded my acoustic (figured it was worth it, since it's what I mostly play), and those were the brands that consistently had the best stuff when I was trying things out. I ended up with a Guild GAD M20, but was very close to something from each of those other brands, particularly an Epi AJ-500M.

• Members

For that price range, the following are IMO the best choices:

Epiphone Masterbilt
Seagull
Guild GAD (especially the older line) - possibly
Recording King
Yamaha

Not that long ago, I upgraded my acoustic (figured it was worth it, since it's what I mostly play), and those were the brands that consistently had the best stuff when I was trying things out. I ended up with a Guild GAD M20, but was very close to something from each of those other brands, particularly an Epi AJ-500M.

Archived