Boss FB-2, possible to leave boost always off when feedback is disengaged?

Grueller

• Members

A helpful user on another site mentioned this:

"if I have the effect bypassed and I then hold down the pedal, the feedback function kicks right in (at a speed set by the feedback knob). Once you release the pedal however, it reverts to the boost being on. You then have to hit the pedal again to bypass."

Is there a way to modify this pedal so there's no need for the second tap to disengage the boost?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Grueller View Post

"if I have the effect bypassed and I then hold down the pedal, the feedback function kicks right in (at a speed set by the feedback knob). Once you release the pedal however, it reverts to the boost being on. You then have to hit the pedal again to bypass."

Is there a way to modify this pedal so there's no need for the second tap to disengage the boost?
It would be cool if it could be turned off.

• Members

It would be cool if it could be turned off.

• Members
That's what Burgs recommended in the PGS demo, and it comes close to sounding transparent but still not fully there IMO.
You use a cable between your electric guitar and amp? Guess what?

Not transparent.

All those pesky resistors and capacitors actually living inside your electric guitar and the amplifier its connected to by that cable?

Not transparent.

Any other pedals and cables in your signal chain?

Not transparent.

I could go on. The species of wood, the pickups, pot values, string gauge, speakers, picks, operator caffeine intake, et cetera, et cetera.

• Members
That's what Burgs recommended in the PGS demo, and it comes close to sounding transparent but still not fully there IMO.
You use a cable between your electric guitar and amp? Guess what?

Not transparent.

All those pesky resistors and capacitors actually living inside your electric guitar and the amplifier its connected to by that cable?

Not transparent.

Any other pedals and cables in your signal chain?

Not transparent.

I could go on. The species of wood, the pickups, pot values, string gauge, speakers, picks, operator caffeine intake, et cetera, et cetera.

• Members

I should've known my use of "transparent" would trigger a semantic dispute...

You're talking about all things essential to the signal path. Leaving a pedal always on with everything set to noon, setting yourself much further from transparent than without it (and noticeably so), is not what I consider the best approach.

Bump.

• Members

I should've known my use of "transparent" would trigger a semantic dispute...

You're talking about all things essential to the signal path. Leaving a pedal always on with everything set to noon, setting yourself much further from transparent than without it (and noticeably so), is not what I consider the best approach.

Bump.

I'd probably just get used to double-tapping it really fast to shut it off. idn_smilie.gif There may very well be a way to modify the switching, but I don't have one, have never tried one, and have never looked at the schematic, so I have no idea how they implemented it. Sorry. frown.gif

I have an idea - have you asked over on the DIY forum? They might know. idea.gif

I'd probably just get used to double-tapping it really fast to shut it off. idn_smilie.gif There may very well be a way to modify the switching, but I don't have one, have never tried one, and have never looked at the schematic, so I have no idea how they implemented it. Sorry. frown.gif

I have an idea - have you asked over on the DIY forum? They might know. idea.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mr benn View Post
It's digital right??
It appears so. I was hoping Jack Deville's CLTB chip would be a possible solution, if wired or programmed for momentary instead of latched. However, his manual says it's for the Boss analog pedals. He's been PM'd, so maybe there's still some info to be had (if so, I'll post an update).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Seriously, I never think about the other forums here. I'm a bad forumite. But I will try them out, and if all else fails, then yeah I really don't mind the double tapping at the end of the day. It's more just a convenience/luxury that would be pretty sweet if possible but not a huge let down otherwise.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mr benn View Post
It's digital right??
It appears so. I was hoping Jack Deville's CLTB chip would be a possible solution, if wired or programmed for momentary instead of latched. However, his manual says it's for the Boss analog pedals. He's been PM'd, so maybe there's still some info to be had (if so, I'll post an update).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Seriously, I never think about the other forums here. I'm a bad forumite. But I will try them out, and if all else fails, then yeah I really don't mind the double tapping at the end of the day. It's more just a convenience/luxury that would be pretty sweet if possible but not a huge let down otherwise.

Archived