Soldering Unreliable *Solderless* Patch Cables???

Amigo

• Members

Can this be done? I'm sick and tired of my {censored}ty solderless Lava Cable and George L's failing on me. I build them perfectly (honestly - please don't tell me I'm doing this wrong, I have confirmed I am not in the slightest many times) but I've had them fail on me so many times often in the middle of a set.

I tour a fair amount so I think the constant movement/wear and tear/vibrations of moving vehicles knock them loose.

Anyways, not exactly wanting to purchase soldered cables (since I already spent a small fortune on these) Can I solder them even though they are solderless? If so, how? and will this help?

I'm getting sick and tired of this garbage, these "better quality" patch cables suck ass. I almost never have problems with the cheapy pre-made patch cables that cost about 1/10th the price, unfortunately I need various lenghts, and do appreciate the sound quality when they work.

Thanks

• Members

I could put lock tight on them, but I honestly dont think that will do it, I've had them fail without the jack coming at all loose from the cable, It's as if they shift around inside and loose their connection.

• Members

I could put lock tight on them, but I honestly dont think that will do it, I've had them fail without the jack coming at all loose from the cable, It's as if they shift around inside and loose their connection.

• Members

I haven't had trouble with mine, but I only use them on my board, and I don't fiddle with them at all. I can't picture how to solder a George L connector, and if you're going to have to buy connectors, you won't be saving much on the cable itself. I found the George L instructions to be Very Wrong, and could only get them to work by ignoring the repeated warning to not bend the cable prior to tightening the connector. A 180 degree bend allows the connector to neatly knife through the jacket and into the shield with near 100% success and reliability so far.

That said, the prices have gone up such that I'd be 100% likely to roll my own standard, soldered cables if I have to replace these. They used to be a bargain, now you can buy prebuilt Fulltone cables for about the same price.

• Members

I haven't had trouble with mine, but I only use them on my board, and I don't fiddle with them at all. I can't picture how to solder a George L connector, and if you're going to have to buy connectors, you won't be saving much on the cable itself. I found the George L instructions to be Very Wrong, and could only get them to work by ignoring the repeated warning to not bend the cable prior to tightening the connector. A 180 degree bend allows the connector to neatly knife through the jacket and into the shield with near 100% success and reliability so far.

That said, the prices have gone up such that I'd be 100% likely to roll my own standard, soldered cables if I have to replace these. They used to be a bargain, now you can buy prebuilt Fulltone cables for about the same price.

• Members

I'd sell them and get some quality pre-soldered cables made up. If you're touring and consistently having this problem, it'd be worth the investment IMO as touring itself is a taxing expense and having your group look bad due to constant equipment failure is worth the price in itself.

• Members

I'd sell them and get some quality pre-soldered cables made up. If you're touring and consistently having this problem, it'd be worth the investment IMO as touring itself is a taxing expense and having your group look bad due to constant equipment failure is worth the price in itself.

Archived