The Band

goodhonk

• Members

Brown Album.

Big Pink is not as good an album IMHO. In a Station and The Weight are probably the highlights. That being said, I don't think there is a bad track on the brown album and it's got some of my favorite Band tunes - When You Awake, Unfaithful Servant, Rocking Chair, King Harvest, Whispering Pines, etc... every track on that album is great and the actual recording is much better then Big Pink.

I like Stage Fright a lot too. I kind of agree with Greil Marcus about SF being much different then these two, but it's another one that has so many great songs (A La Glory, Danial and the Sacred Harp, Strawberry Wine, WS Walcott Medicine Show, Just Another Whistle Stop, etc...).

I am a fan of everything they did when Robbie was with them. I know Levon cuts him to pieces in his book but IMHO they stopped making great records when he left. Richard Manuel was a great songwriter as well, but once they lost Robbie they became as awesome live group (with Jim Weider and Richard Bell) but just couldn't write good songs.

IMHO - Big Pink is the record that my hipster friends have in their collection, the brown album is the one that is actually in my cd player a lot of the time. YMMV.

I have a really limited Robbie Robertson Strat that they did last year. I have always been a big fan. You can see it in this pic - I'll put up a better one but this is the only one I can find at the moment.

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0021-1.jpg

• Members

Brown Album.

Big Pink is not as good an album IMHO. In a Station and The Weight are probably the highlights. That being said, I don't think there is a bad track on the brown album and it's got some of my favorite Band tunes - When You Awake, Unfaithful Servant, Rocking Chair, King Harvest, Whispering Pines, etc... every track on that album is great and the actual recording is much better then Big Pink.

I like Stage Fright a lot too. I kind of agree with Greil Marcus about SF being much different then these two, but it's another one that has so many great songs (A La Glory, Danial and the Sacred Harp, Strawberry Wine, WS Walcott Medicine Show, Just Another Whistle Stop, etc...).

I am a fan of everything they did when Robbie was with them. I know Levon cuts him to pieces in his book but IMHO they stopped making great records when he left. Richard Manuel was a great songwriter as well, but once they lost Robbie they became as awesome live group (with Jim Weider and Richard Bell) but just couldn't write good songs.

IMHO - Big Pink is the record that my hipster friends have in their collection, the brown album is the one that is actually in my cd player a lot of the time. YMMV.

I have a really limited Robbie Robertson Strat that they did last year. I have always been a big fan. You can see it in this pic - I'll put up a better one but this is the only one I can find at the moment.

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0021-1.jpg

• Members

I love the first album (Big Pink). Call me a contrarian hipster and I won't deny it. Self-titled is great but I think too many of those songs suffer (to my ears) from overplay on the radio. "Tears of Rage" brings chills down my spine every time. Long Black Veil. Wheel's on Fire. Can't go wrong with that album, IMO. That said, I think my favorite Band album is the live Rock of Ages.

• Members

I love the first album (Big Pink). Call me a contrarian hipster and I won't deny it. Self-titled is great but I think too many of those songs suffer (to my ears) from overplay on the radio. "Tears of Rage" brings chills down my spine every time. Long Black Veil. Wheel's on Fire. Can't go wrong with that album, IMO. That said, I think my favorite Band album is the live Rock of Ages.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
Double LP, duh. biggrin.gif (Seriously, only because I bought it years ago, before I owned a CD player.)
You're not as much of a hipster as you claim to be, there are different versions of that album.

The Strat is wired just like Robbie has his. If you watch The Last Waltz (or listen to Stage Fright) you'll notice he has a pretty fat sound on a lot of it. While Robbie was one of the first big vintage guitar collectors he also modified a lot of his stuff.

What he had done was to move the Strat's middle pickup to the bridge area - that's not a humbucker, it's actually two separate single coil pickups. The pickup has to be flipped over and the poles had to be pushed out and flipped around.

When you use the five way switch it pretty much sounds like a 1950s Strat (it has an ash body). You can pull up the bottom tone control and the 5 way actually gives you a few (not 5) sounds with the coils put together to give you more of a Gibson style sound.

He first moved the pickup back because he played a Tele for so long it got in the way then had it wired up like this.

For years people would ask him why his guitars sounded the way they did. He told Seymour Duncan that he had his pickups rewound with more wire and that gave him a bigger sound. He (RR) never did this and said it as a joke but SD took him seriously.

Here is another shot of the fiddle. It's tough to photograph because of the bronze finish. It has a couple other weird features - a neck the size of RR's Broadcaster and the round string tree, etc...

385925_305816999452877_182694915_n.jpg

1a.jpg

These two actually belong to Robbie and have a special 'Moonburst' finish. I'm not that into it, but he must be:

20pvkly.jpg

RI_98791.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
Double LP, duh. biggrin.gif (Seriously, only because I bought it years ago, before I owned a CD player.)
You're not as much of a hipster as you claim to be, there are different versions of that album.

The Strat is wired just like Robbie has his. If you watch The Last Waltz (or listen to Stage Fright) you'll notice he has a pretty fat sound on a lot of it. While Robbie was one of the first big vintage guitar collectors he also modified a lot of his stuff.

What he had done was to move the Strat's middle pickup to the bridge area - that's not a humbucker, it's actually two separate single coil pickups. The pickup has to be flipped over and the poles had to be pushed out and flipped around.

When you use the five way switch it pretty much sounds like a 1950s Strat (it has an ash body). You can pull up the bottom tone control and the 5 way actually gives you a few (not 5) sounds with the coils put together to give you more of a Gibson style sound.

He first moved the pickup back because he played a Tele for so long it got in the way then had it wired up like this.

For years people would ask him why his guitars sounded the way they did. He told Seymour Duncan that he had his pickups rewound with more wire and that gave him a bigger sound. He (RR) never did this and said it as a joke but SD took him seriously.

Here is another shot of the fiddle. It's tough to photograph because of the bronze finish. It has a couple other weird features - a neck the size of RR's Broadcaster and the round string tree, etc...

1a.jpg

These two actually belong to Robbie and have a special 'Moonburst' finish. I'm not that into it, but he must be:

20pvkly.jpg

RI_98791.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BG76 View Post
Truth be told, I'm more of a contrarian than a hipster, but it's just the way my tastes run... I prefer the first Band album, love the first Little Feat album, only listen to REM's first two or three albums, etc. That said, I don't own any hoodies or skinny jeans so I could never be a real hipster.

What are the different versions of Rock of Ages? I assumed the LP version would be the most hipsterish, as all the kids seem to be playing LPs nowadays.

• Members
Truth be told, I'm more of a contrarian than a hipster, but it's just the way my tastes run... I prefer the first Band album, love the first Little Feat album, only listen to REM's first two or three albums, etc. That said, I don't own any hoodies or skinny jeans so I could never be a real hipster.

What are the different versions of Rock of Ages? I assumed the LP version would be the most hipsterish, as all the kids seem to be playing LPs nowadays.

• Members

1a.jpg

20pvkly.jpg

RI_98791.jpg
Yeah I knew he moved the middle pickup and had it "tied to the bridge pickup" (his words), i.e. wired in series. I would love to have a series blender pot wired into my strat, but I can't find a schematic for one.

• Members

1a.jpg

20pvkly.jpg

RI_98791.jpg
Yeah I knew he moved the middle pickup and had it "tied to the bridge pickup" (his words), i.e. wired in series. I would love to have a series blender pot wired into my strat, but I can't find a schematic for one.

• Members

RR actually plays a Les Paul quite a bit. Always has and has quite the Burst collection. Like I said, he was pretty much one of the first guys to start buying up the old guitars. Clapton has said a bunch of times he switched to a Strat after hearing The Band (which is odd, because Robbie played a Broadcaster and Tele mostly back then). He has always used cool and unusual old Martin and Gibson acoustics (the koa models, the Style O, harp guitars, etc...) as well as the rarer Gibson electrics (the mando guitar, the Bursts, I think he used a Howard Roberts big body) and The Band always used a lot of Guild guitars as well (especially Rick Danko but Robbie used a Starfire or something) and some of the Epiphones.

Depending on what version you have the tracks may have been edited or omitted.

ROBBIE6.jpg

If you ever actually see one of these for sale (with the mando) let me know because I'll buy it. Never mind how rare the red one would be. Cool thing is Robbie didn't buy these because they were valuable he bought them because he thought they were cool.

Rick Danko's Guild:

This is pretty much what the RR Strat lets you do. I know there are guitar overdubs on TLW, but this is pretty much what that guitar sounds like through a cranked tweed amp.

• Members

RR actually plays a Les Paul quite a bit. Always has and has quite the Burst collection. Like I said, he was pretty much one of the first guys to start buying up the old guitars. Clapton has said a bunch of times he switched to a Strat after hearing The Band (which is odd, because Robbie played a Broadcaster and Tele mostly back then). He has always used cool and unusual old Martin and Gibson acoustics (the koa models, the Style O, harp guitars, etc...) as well as the rarer Gibson electrics (the mando guitar, the Bursts, I think he used a Howard Roberts big body) and The Band always used a lot of Guild guitars as well (especially Rick Danko but Robbie used a Starfire or something) and some of the Epiphones.

Depending on what version you have the tracks may have been edited or omitted.

ROBBIE6.jpg

If you ever actually see one of these for sale (with the mando) let me know because I'll buy it. Never mind how rare the red one would be. Cool thing is Robbie didn't buy these because they were valuable he bought them because he thought they were cool.

Rick Danko's Guild:

This is pretty much what the RR Strat lets you do. I know there are guitar overdubs on TLW, but this is pretty much what that guitar sounds like through a cranked tweed amp.

Archived