Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Band

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16



    YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ OᶰᶜᵉRobopimp wrote:Chat crüe is srs crüeFor Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

    Comment


    • #17


      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi3kP1YS4_o
      YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ OᶰᶜᵉRobopimp wrote:Chat crüe is srs crüeFor Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

      Comment


      • #18






        Quote Originally Posted by BG76
        View Post

        You're not as much of a hipster as you claim to be, there are different versions of that album.




        Truth be told, I'm more of a contrarian than a hipster, but it's just the way my tastes run... I prefer the first Band album, love the first Little Feat album, only listen to REM's first two or three albums, etc. That said, I don't own any hoodies or skinny jeans so I could never be a real hipster.



        What are the different versions of Rock of Ages? I assumed the LP version would be the most hipsterish, as all the kids seem to be playing LPs nowadays.
        Good deals with: AcheWater, Jon Hiller, meandthecity, Iamtehcure, murch33, deadllama, theweight, southpaw pete.

        Comment


        • #19






          Quote Originally Posted by BG76
          View Post

          You're not as much of a hipster as you claim to be, there are different versions of that album.




          Truth be told, I'm more of a contrarian than a hipster, but it's just the way my tastes run... I prefer the first Band album, love the first Little Feat album, only listen to REM's first two or three albums, etc. That said, I don't own any hoodies or skinny jeans so I could never be a real hipster.



          What are the different versions of Rock of Ages? I assumed the LP version would be the most hipsterish, as all the kids seem to be playing LPs nowadays.
          Good deals with: AcheWater, Jon Hiller, meandthecity, Iamtehcure, murch33, deadllama, theweight, southpaw pete.

          Comment


          • #20






            Quote Originally Posted by BG76
            View Post

            You're not as much of a hipster as you claim to be, there are different versions of that album.



            The Strat is wired just like Robbie has his. If you watch The Last Waltz (or listen to Stage Fright) you'll notice he has a pretty fat sound on a lot of it. While Robbie was one of the first big vintage guitar collectors he also modified a lot of his stuff.



            What he had done was to move the Strat's middle pickup to the bridge area - that's not a humbucker, it's actually two separate single coil pickups. The pickup has to be flipped over and the poles had to be pushed out and flipped around.



            When you use the five way switch it pretty much sounds like a 1950s Strat (it has an ash body). You can pull up the bottom tone control and the 5 way actually gives you a few (not 5) sounds with the coils put together to give you more of a Gibson style sound.



            He first moved the pickup back because he played a Tele for so long it got in the way then had it wired up like this.



            For years people would ask him why his guitars sounded the way they did. He told Seymour Duncan that he had his pickups rewound with more wire and that gave him a bigger sound. He (RR) never did this and said it as a joke but SD took him seriously.



            Here is another shot of the fiddle. It's tough to photograph because of the bronze finish. It has a couple other weird features - a neck the size of RR's Broadcaster and the round string tree, etc...













            These two actually belong to Robbie and have a special 'Moonburst' finish. I'm not that into it, but he must be:











            Yeah I knew he moved the middle pickup and had it "tied to the bridge pickup" (his words), i.e. wired in series. I would love to have a series blender pot wired into my strat, but I can't find a schematic for one.

            Comment


            • #21






              Quote Originally Posted by BG76
              View Post

              You're not as much of a hipster as you claim to be, there are different versions of that album.



              The Strat is wired just like Robbie has his. If you watch The Last Waltz (or listen to Stage Fright) you'll notice he has a pretty fat sound on a lot of it. While Robbie was one of the first big vintage guitar collectors he also modified a lot of his stuff.



              What he had done was to move the Strat's middle pickup to the bridge area - that's not a humbucker, it's actually two separate single coil pickups. The pickup has to be flipped over and the poles had to be pushed out and flipped around.



              When you use the five way switch it pretty much sounds like a 1950s Strat (it has an ash body). You can pull up the bottom tone control and the 5 way actually gives you a few (not 5) sounds with the coils put together to give you more of a Gibson style sound.



              He first moved the pickup back because he played a Tele for so long it got in the way then had it wired up like this.



              For years people would ask him why his guitars sounded the way they did. He told Seymour Duncan that he had his pickups rewound with more wire and that gave him a bigger sound. He (RR) never did this and said it as a joke but SD took him seriously.



              Here is another shot of the fiddle. It's tough to photograph because of the bronze finish. It has a couple other weird features - a neck the size of RR's Broadcaster and the round string tree, etc...













              These two actually belong to Robbie and have a special 'Moonburst' finish. I'm not that into it, but he must be:











              Yeah I knew he moved the middle pickup and had it "tied to the bridge pickup" (his words), i.e. wired in series. I would love to have a series blender pot wired into my strat, but I can't find a schematic for one.

              Comment


              • #22
                RR actually plays a Les Paul quite a bit. Always has and has quite the Burst collection. Like I said, he was pretty much one of the first guys to start buying up the old guitars. Clapton has said a bunch of times he switched to a Strat after hearing The Band (which is odd, because Robbie played a Broadcaster and Tele mostly back then). He has always used cool and unusual old Martin and Gibson acoustics (the koa models, the Style O, harp guitars, etc...) as well as the rarer Gibson electrics (the mando guitar, the Bursts, I think he used a Howard Roberts big body) and The Band always used a lot of Guild guitars as well (especially Rick Danko but Robbie used a Starfire or something) and some of the Epiphones.



                Depending on what version you have the tracks may have been edited or omitted.









                If you ever actually see one of these for sale (with the mando) let me know because I'll buy it. Never mind how rare the red one would be. Cool thing is Robbie didn't buy these because they were valuable he bought them because he thought they were cool.








                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjCw3-YTffo







                Rick Danko's Guild:






                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDm5o3FJ2Q8







                This is pretty much what the RR Strat lets you do. I know there are guitar overdubs on TLW, but this is pretty much what that guitar sounds like through a cranked tweed amp.






                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP7r12Rg490

                Comment


                • #23
                  RR actually plays a Les Paul quite a bit. Always has and has quite the Burst collection. Like I said, he was pretty much one of the first guys to start buying up the old guitars. Clapton has said a bunch of times he switched to a Strat after hearing The Band (which is odd, because Robbie played a Broadcaster and Tele mostly back then). He has always used cool and unusual old Martin and Gibson acoustics (the koa models, the Style O, harp guitars, etc...) as well as the rarer Gibson electrics (the mando guitar, the Bursts, I think he used a Howard Roberts big body) and The Band always used a lot of Guild guitars as well (especially Rick Danko but Robbie used a Starfire or something) and some of the Epiphones.



                  Depending on what version you have the tracks may have been edited or omitted.









                  If you ever actually see one of these for sale (with the mando) let me know because I'll buy it. Never mind how rare the red one would be. Cool thing is Robbie didn't buy these because they were valuable he bought them because he thought they were cool.
















                  Rick Danko's Guild:














                  This is pretty much what the RR Strat lets you do. I know there are guitar overdubs on TLW, but this is pretty much what that guitar sounds like through a cranked tweed amp.







                  Comment


                  • #24


                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UAQAi_gDak







                    I can't really say which one is "better", but Big Pink is a classic for a reason.
                    **********

                    "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

                    - George Carlin

                    "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

                    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

                    "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

                    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

                    Comment


                    • #25










                      I can't really say which one is "better", but Big Pink is a classic for a reason.
                      **********

                      "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

                      - George Carlin

                      "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

                      - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

                      "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

                      - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

                      Comment


                      • #26






                        Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34
                        View Post

                        Yeah I knew he moved the middle pickup and had it "tied to the bridge pickup" (his words), i.e. wired in series. I would love to have a series blender pot wired into my strat, but I can't find a schematic for one.




                        Yeah, on the CS model it's done with a push/pull which is how the original one was done. From Guitar Player 1976:



                        Robbie, on your red Strat there's a small grey object right in front of the bridge pickup.



                        Robertson: That's the one modification that I have on my guitars. I can pull the rear knob up so the guitar is in a straight Strat pickup line; if I push it down it kicks in that rear humbucking pickup.

                        Comment


                        • #27






                          Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34
                          View Post

                          Yeah I knew he moved the middle pickup and had it "tied to the bridge pickup" (his words), i.e. wired in series. I would love to have a series blender pot wired into my strat, but I can't find a schematic for one.




                          Yeah, on the CS model it's done with a push/pull which is how the original one was done. From Guitar Player 1976:



                          Robbie, on your red Strat there's a small grey object right in front of the bridge pickup.



                          Robertson: That's the one modification that I have on my guitars. I can pull the rear knob up so the guitar is in a straight Strat pickup line; if I push it down it kicks in that rear humbucking pickup.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Comment from the Youtube video that Phil posted:



                            "This is my first time listening to this album. I just finished. I've never been so profoundly moved by an album before and I just got done crying. This...this is music right here. Thanks for the upload.?"



                            That about sums up my feelings. The self-titled album is a great, good-time rock & roll album, but I find "Big Pink" to be profoundly moving (same with the first Little Feat album, for that matter).
                            Good deals with: AcheWater, Jon Hiller, meandthecity, Iamtehcure, murch33, deadllama, theweight, southpaw pete.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Comment from the Youtube video that Phil posted:



                              "This is my first time listening to this album. I just finished. I've never been so profoundly moved by an album before and I just got done crying. This...this is music right here. Thanks for the upload.?"



                              That about sums up my feelings. The self-titled album is a great, good-time rock & roll album, but I find "Big Pink" to be profoundly moving (same with the first Little Feat album, for that matter).
                              Good deals with: AcheWater, Jon Hiller, meandthecity, Iamtehcure, murch33, deadllama, theweight, southpaw pete.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I like their work backing Dylan, like John Wesley Harding, most of all.

                                Comment



                                Working...
                                X