Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

The Band

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Band

big pink or s/t? why?

Brown Album.

Big Pink is not as good an album IMHO. In a Station and The Weight are probably the highlights. That being said, I don't think there is a bad track on the brown album and it's got some of my favorite Band tunes - When You Awake, Unfaithful Servant, Rocking Chair, King Harvest, Whispering Pines, etc... every track on that album is great and the actual recording is much better then Big Pink.

I like Stage Fright a lot too. I kind of agree with Greil Marcus about SF being much different then these two, but it's another one that has so many great songs (A La Glory, Danial and the Sacred Harp, Strawberry Wine, WS Walcott Medicine Show, Just Another Whistle Stop, etc...).

I am a fan of everything they did when Robbie was with them. I know Levon cuts him to pieces in his book but IMHO they stopped making great records when he left. Richard Manuel was a great songwriter as well, but once they lost Robbie they became as awesome live group (with Jim Weider and Richard Bell) but just couldn't write good songs.

IMHO - Big Pink is the record that my hipster friends have in their collection, the brown album is the one that is actually in my cd player a lot of the time. YMMV.

I have a really limited Robbie Robertson Strat that they did last year. I have always been a big fan. You can see it in this pic - I'll put up a better one but this is the only one I can find at the moment.

Comment

Brown Album.

Big Pink is not as good an album IMHO. In a Station and The Weight are probably the highlights. That being said, I don't think there is a bad track on the brown album and it's got some of my favorite Band tunes - When You Awake, Unfaithful Servant, Rocking Chair, King Harvest, Whispering Pines, etc... every track on that album is great and the actual recording is much better then Big Pink.

I like Stage Fright a lot too. I kind of agree with Greil Marcus about SF being much different then these two, but it's another one that has so many great songs (A La Glory, Danial and the Sacred Harp, Strawberry Wine, WS Walcott Medicine Show, Just Another Whistle Stop, etc...).

I am a fan of everything they did when Robbie was with them. I know Levon cuts him to pieces in his book but IMHO they stopped making great records when he left. Richard Manuel was a great songwriter as well, but once they lost Robbie they became as awesome live group (with Jim Weider and Richard Bell) but just couldn't write good songs.

IMHO - Big Pink is the record that my hipster friends have in their collection, the brown album is the one that is actually in my cd player a lot of the time. YMMV.

I have a really limited Robbie Robertson Strat that they did last year. I have always been a big fan. You can see it in this pic - I'll put up a better one but this is the only one I can find at the moment.

Comment

I love the first album (Big Pink). Call me a contrarian hipster and I won't deny it. Self-titled is great but I think too many of those songs suffer (to my ears) from overplay on the radio. "Tears of Rage" brings chills down my spine every time. Long Black Veil. Wheel's on Fire. Can't go wrong with that album, IMO. That said, I think my favorite Band album is the live Rock of Ages.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Good deals with: AcheWater, Jon Hiller, meandthecity, Iamtehcure, murch33, deadllama, theweight, southpaw pete.</div>

Comment

I love the first album (Big Pink). Call me a contrarian hipster and I won't deny it. Self-titled is great but I think too many of those songs suffer (to my ears) from overplay on the radio. "Tears of Rage" brings chills down my spine every time. Long Black Veil. Wheel's on Fire. Can't go wrong with that album, IMO. That said, I think my favorite Band album is the live Rock of Ages.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Good deals with: AcheWater, Jon Hiller, meandthecity, Iamtehcure, murch33, deadllama, theweight, southpaw pete.</div>

Comment

I've watched the Last Waltz no than less 38 time on LSD 25...

do you-self this favor, & KNOW...
            changes come w/ the whether...

Comment

I've watched the Last Waltz no than less 38 time on LSD 25...

do you-self this favor, & KNOW...
              changes come w/ the whether...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Agitator
                View Post

That said, I think my favorite Band album is the live Rock of Ages.

If you're a hipster I have to ask, which version of the Rock of Ages album?

Comment

View Post

That said, I think my favorite Band album is the live Rock of Ages.

Comment

Brown Album.

BG, how is your Robertson strat wired? I love that thing.

Comment

Brown Album.

BG, how is your Robertson strat wired? I love that thing.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by BG76
                        View Post

Double LP, duh. (Seriously, only because I bought it years ago, before I owned a CD player.)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by BG76
                          View Post

Double LP, duh. (Seriously, only because I bought it years ago, before I owned a CD player.)

Comment

View Post

You're not as much of a hipster as you claim to be, there are different versions of that album.

The Strat is wired just like Robbie has his. If you watch The Last Waltz (or listen to Stage Fright) you'll notice he has a pretty fat sound on a lot of it. While Robbie was one of the first big vintage guitar collectors he also modified a lot of his stuff.

What he had done was to move the Strat's middle pickup to the bridge area - that's not a humbucker, it's actually two separate single coil pickups. The pickup has to be flipped over and the poles had to be pushed out and flipped around.

When you use the five way switch it pretty much sounds like a 1950s Strat (it has an ash body). You can pull up the bottom tone control and the 5 way actually gives you a few (not 5) sounds with the coils put together to give you more of a Gibson style sound.

He first moved the pickup back because he played a Tele for so long it got in the way then had it wired up like this.

For years people would ask him why his guitars sounded the way they did. He told Seymour Duncan that he had his pickups rewound with more wire and that gave him a bigger sound. He (RR) never did this and said it as a joke but SD took him seriously.

Here is another shot of the fiddle. It's tough to photograph because of the bronze finish. It has a couple other weird features - a neck the size of RR's Broadcaster and the round string tree, etc...

These two actually belong to Robbie and have a special 'Moonburst' finish. I'm not that into it, but he must be:

Comment

View Post

You're not as much of a hipster as you claim to be, there are different versions of that album.

The Strat is wired just like Robbie has his. If you watch The Last Waltz (or listen to Stage Fright) you'll notice he has a pretty fat sound on a lot of it. While Robbie was one of the first big vintage guitar collectors he also modified a lot of his stuff.

What he had done was to move the Strat's middle pickup to the bridge area - that's not a humbucker, it's actually two separate single coil pickups. The pickup has to be flipped over and the poles had to be pushed out and flipped around.

When you use the five way switch it pretty much sounds like a 1950s Strat (it has an ash body). You can pull up the bottom tone control and the 5 way actually gives you a few (not 5) sounds with the coils put together to give you more of a Gibson style sound.

He first moved the pickup back because he played a Tele for so long it got in the way then had it wired up like this.

For years people would ask him why his guitars sounded the way they did. He told Seymour Duncan that he had his pickups rewound with more wire and that gave him a bigger sound. He (RR) never did this and said it as a joke but SD took him seriously.

Here is another shot of the fiddle. It's tough to photograph because of the bronze finish. It has a couple other weird features - a neck the size of RR's Broadcaster and the round string tree, etc...

These two actually belong to Robbie and have a special 'Moonburst' finish. I'm not that into it, but he must be:

Comment

Working...
                              X