Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob soldering questions.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Noob soldering questions.

    Ok, so I've decided that since I'm a big boy now and by golly jeepers it's time to learn how to tie my own shoelaces and pack my own lunches.



    I've bought a 50w temp-controllable station, patch cabling and have ordered Hicon plugs. I don't want to use the lead-free solder as I've read it has a higher melting point and is more difficult to work with.



    I've watched many resources on Soldering for Dummies 101 but I can't find any recommendations on what size solder wire is best for patch cables.



    26AWG is recommended for finer work on guitar electronics so would this mean 24 AWG or 22 AWG for guitar patch cables which are less delicate or just get 26 AWG for both eventualities ?



    I've read 62/36/2 Sn/Pb/Ag is the best stuff for audio. What is the special juju/mojo/what-have-you of the 2% Silver solder? Does it improve signal conductivity or just lower melting temperature? Or is the Eutectic solder just as good conductivity-wise and in fact better for noobs because you are less likely to make a cold joint?



    Finally, after everything is hopefully soldered and working, when putting away my iron should I store the iron with the tip tinned or just wiped clean?



    Let the hazing begin.





    Thanks



    A greatful noob.

















    tldr - what size solder wire is most appropriate to use for soldering patch cables?

    Should I leave the iron tip tinned when finished soldering and putting away the iron for a long time?








































































    inb4 gtfo/stfu noob
    Happy days so far with: Kayzer, Snufkino, matchpoint, SG1

  • #2
    Don't make it complex... just solder it. Whatever you are talking about won't affect the sound in any way if its soldered properly. Not reading all that ****************.



    If these are 'patch' cables and not 'instrument' cables then the different wire gauges will make no difference. In the mathematical world, wire impedance is a function of length where wires are modeled as basically a modified r/c/l circuit where distance is the independent variable. So it won't make a difference unless your cable is long as ****************. The only other reason to use a thicker wire would be if there was so much current that heat would be an issue. That's generally only an issue with speakers.





    okay i read some of that ****************. tl;dr version:



    Your amp, speakers, pedals, guitar, pickups will make 99.99% of the difference. This will make up the remaining percentage.
    Originally Posted by jonny guitar


    When I was 16 my dad gave me a Xmas present cassette labelled , Side A: Jimi Hendrix Greatest Hits and Side B: Chet Atkins Worst hits...it was blank



    Church of Wolves (P&W)

    Good deals with: motis1953, pedmans.
    MI AUDIO POLLYANNA FOR SALE PM ME

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't make it complex... just solder it. Whatever you are talking about won't affect the sound in any way if its soldered properly. Not reading all that ****************.



      If these are 'patch' cables and not 'instrument' cables then the different wire gauges will make no difference. In the mathematical world, wire impedance is a function of length where wires are modeled as basically a modified r/c/l circuit where distance is the independent variable. So it won't make a difference unless your cable is long as ****************. The only other reason to use a thicker wire would be if there was so much current that heat would be an issue. That's generally only an issue with speakers.





      okay i read some of that ****************. tl;dr version:



      Your amp, speakers, pedals, guitar, pickups will make 99.99% of the difference. This will make up the remaining percentage.
      Originally Posted by jonny guitar


      When I was 16 my dad gave me a Xmas present cassette labelled , Side A: Jimi Hendrix Greatest Hits and Side B: Chet Atkins Worst hits...it was blank



      Church of Wolves (P&W)

      Good deals with: motis1953, pedmans.
      MI AUDIO POLLYANNA FOR SALE PM ME

      Comment


      • #4






        Quote Originally Posted by Krallum
        View Post

        Don't make it complex... just solder it. Whatever you are talking about won't affect the sound in any way if its soldered properly. Not reading all that ****************.



        If these are 'patch' cables and not 'instrument' cables then the different wire gauges will make no difference. In the mathematical world, wire impedance is a function of length where wires are modeled as basically a modified r/c/l circuit where distance is the independent variable. The only other reason to use a thicker wire would be if there was so much current that heat would be an issue. That's generally only an issue with speakers.





        okay i read some of that ****************




        Thanks for taking the time to read some but I am wondering about the solder wire gauge that's easiest to work with, not cable wire gauge.



        I will do a tldr edit.
        Happy days so far with: Kayzer, Snufkino, matchpoint, SG1

        Comment


        • #5






          Quote Originally Posted by Krallum
          View Post

          Don't make it complex... just solder it. Whatever you are talking about won't affect the sound in any way if its soldered properly. Not reading all that ****************.



          If these are 'patch' cables and not 'instrument' cables then the different wire gauges will make no difference. In the mathematical world, wire impedance is a function of length where wires are modeled as basically a modified r/c/l circuit where distance is the independent variable. The only other reason to use a thicker wire would be if there was so much current that heat would be an issue. That's generally only an issue with speakers.





          okay i read some of that ****************




          Thanks for taking the time to read some but I am wondering about the solder wire gauge that's easiest to work with, not cable wire gauge.



          I will do a tldr edit.
          Happy days so far with: Kayzer, Snufkino, matchpoint, SG1

          Comment


          • #6
            The skinny one. Tin all the contacts and you won't need much more to make a good joint. Those crab things with the clamps and magnifying glass will come in handy too.
            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...







            Write Something, or Drag and Drop Photos Here...

            Comment


            • #7
              The skinny one. Tin all the contacts and you won't need much more to make a good joint. Those crab things with the clamps and magnifying glass will come in handy too.
              Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...







              Write Something, or Drag and Drop Photos Here...

              Comment


              • #8






                Quote Originally Posted by 1001gear
                View Post

                The skinny one. Tin all the contacts and you won't need much more to make a good joint. Those crab things with the clamps and magnifying glass will come in handy too.






                So that's the 26 AWG solder for guitar cables. Thanks.



                What about after I've finished with the iron- should I tin the iron tip before putting it away or just wipe it clean if you don't mind my prying?
                Happy days so far with: Kayzer, Snufkino, matchpoint, SG1

                Comment


                • #9






                  Quote Originally Posted by 1001gear
                  View Post

                  The skinny one. Tin all the contacts and you won't need much more to make a good joint. Those crab things with the clamps and magnifying glass will come in handy too.






                  So that's the 26 AWG solder for guitar cables. Thanks.



                  What about after I've finished with the iron- should I tin the iron tip before putting it away or just wipe it clean if you don't mind my prying?
                  Happy days so far with: Kayzer, Snufkino, matchpoint, SG1

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Personally, I like to 18 or 20awg solder for those types of connectors, probably because the flux flows out of it a little better and I can work faster -- but really, it doesn't matter. 26awg will be fine. The biggest mistake noobs make is using too much solder.



                    99% of the stuff in the world was soldered with straight 60/40 Sn/Pb. 63/37 is a super tiny bit easier to work with because you don't have to worry as much about cold-solder joints. Anything else - i.e. 2% Ag - frankly, I wouldn't bother.
                    --Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85Follow my new band, Dr. Bombay! We're going to be organasmic!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Personally, I like to 18 or 20awg solder for those types of connectors, probably because the flux flows out of it a little better and I can work faster -- but really, it doesn't matter. 26awg will be fine. The biggest mistake noobs make is using too much solder.



                      99% of the stuff in the world was soldered with straight 60/40 Sn/Pb. 63/37 is a super tiny bit easier to work with because you don't have to worry as much about cold-solder joints. Anything else - i.e. 2% Ag - frankly, I wouldn't bother.
                      --Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85Follow my new band, Dr. Bombay! We're going to be organasmic!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        99% of the stuff that was hand soldered with an iron.
                        Originally Posted by jonny guitar


                        When I was 16 my dad gave me a Xmas present cassette labelled , Side A: Jimi Hendrix Greatest Hits and Side B: Chet Atkins Worst hits...it was blank



                        Church of Wolves (P&W)

                        Good deals with: motis1953, pedmans.
                        MI AUDIO POLLYANNA FOR SALE PM ME

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          99% of the stuff that was hand soldered with an iron.
                          Originally Posted by jonny guitar


                          When I was 16 my dad gave me a Xmas present cassette labelled , Side A: Jimi Hendrix Greatest Hits and Side B: Chet Atkins Worst hits...it was blank



                          Church of Wolves (P&W)

                          Good deals with: motis1953, pedmans.
                          MI AUDIO POLLYANNA FOR SALE PM ME

                          Comment


                          • #14






                            Quote Originally Posted by Pedaltones
                            View Post

                            So that's the 26 AWG solder for guitar cables. Thanks.



                            What about after I've finished with the iron- should I tin the iron tip before putting it away or just wipe it clean if you don't mind my prying?




                            I have a roll of Radio Shack 60/40 .062 which is roughly the diameter of uncooked Spaghetti and a roll of 60/40 .032 which is half that diameter. The only time I'd go bigger than that is to make a ground puddle on the back of a pot and it's been years since I needed to do that.

                            As to tinning the iron after use, I do. I think I read it somewhere. Wipe clean, tin, wipe to a shine and hang it up.



                            Oh and one thing I remember about silver solder is it refuses to melt for removal.
                            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...







                            Write Something, or Drag and Drop Photos Here...

                            Comment


                            • #15






                              Quote Originally Posted by Pedaltones
                              View Post

                              So that's the 26 AWG solder for guitar cables. Thanks.



                              What about after I've finished with the iron- should I tin the iron tip before putting it away or just wipe it clean if you don't mind my prying?




                              I have a roll of Radio Shack 60/40 .062 which is roughly the diameter of uncooked Spaghetti and a roll of 60/40 .032 which is half that diameter. The only time I'd go bigger than that is to make a ground puddle on the back of a pot and it's been years since I needed to do that.

                              As to tinning the iron after use, I do. I think I read it somewhere. Wipe clean, tin, wipe to a shine and hang it up.



                              Oh and one thing I remember about silver solder is it refuses to melt for removal.
                              Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...







                              Write Something, or Drag and Drop Photos Here...

                              Comment



                              Working...
                              X