Delay modulation: DL-4 versus Malekko 616

thom

• Members

Just bought the 616 from a fellow forumite. Figured from the clips it's a safe bet, it just sound very useable for my style. I can't wait though, so I'm asking you guys, in case anyone tried both:

Wich one do you prefer for modulated delays, the DL-4 or the 616, and why?

I'm thinking of maybe, just maybe, selling my DL4, because my RC-2 sorta makes the looper mode redundant. And aside from the sweep delay and the lo-fi delay, the looper was the main reason I put up with the huge size of the DL-4...

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

• Members

Get an M5 then, smaller size, and some improved delays over the DL-4. I like the M5 delays for the most part. I had an early 616, and thought the modulation was just too crazy, too quickly.

Or maybe get a SupaPuss. Great modulation on this one, just love it. Very, very slight volume decrease, but for me not enough to worry about.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
Get an M5 then, smaller size, and some improved delays over the DL-4. I like the M5 delays for the most part. I had an early 616, and thought the modulation was just too crazy, too quickly.

Or maybe get a SupaPuss. Great modulation on this one, just love it. Very, very slight volume decrease, but for me not enough to worry about.
That's weird, I actually read a bunch of different reviews that mensioned the modulation was too subtle and mellow.

Supapuss: Not enough of em around yet to find a cheapish one on the used market. So in the price range, the only real competition for the Ekko 616 I can think of would be the EHX memory boy and the MXR Carbon Copy. Not that I'm really shopping for a delay anymore, like I said I just bought an Ekko 616...

But it's good to know my options in case my picky corksniffy ass doesn't mesh with the 616icon_lol.gif

Either way, an M5 sure would be nice. A whole bunch of extra effects in a small package, what's not to love? It's the digital thing that makes me nervous...
Line6 is bound to update there M series sooner or later with another product, which would kill the resale value. Not unimportant for an undecisive gear whore like myself:s

• Members

616 is pretty well known to have modulation that is anything but subtle. Unless they really changed it some. There was a LoFi version not long ago, pretty dark as I recall.

What about the Diamond Quantum Leap? You get a few effect here, and the delay is great, but it's very dark, and the modulation more subtle, but it's there. Some nice chorus, flange and filter effects too. A very different pedal.

M5 can be found pretty cheap now. I traded a EHX Dlx memory boy for a practically new one. I think I got the better end of the deal. The switches on mine are fine, but some people have had problems. Plus you get a tuner, one less pedal to buy, or clutter up your board. Look for a used one maybe. DOesn't have the volume drop the DL4 has either.

• Members

Here's the more recent v2 616 and the different video for it: http://proguitarshop.com/malekko-ekk...log-delay.html

Modulation around 3:40 in the video, near the end, you can hear how wild it can get. I don't know if these are still in production or not today. THe old E600d was great, very dark, but lovely tone. Cost more to buy used now then when new.

• Members

Cheers.

I'm no officially on the lookout for an M5. Nothing wrong with your other delay recommendations, but I'm gonna give the 616 a fair chancde first. Plus, the M5 is more than just a delay, like you said yourself. It'll have to be real good deal though, the holidays sucked my wallet dry:s

Archived