When you buy a guitar do you expect..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Was setup part of the deal, stated in black and white, or is it something you assumed?

I really do sympathize. My $600 Ibanez was set up way better than my $1800 Les Paul.

I guess it's another one of those things we have to nail down or it won't happen.

• Members

Was setup part of the deal, stated in black and white, or is it something you assumed?

I really do sympathize. My $600 Ibanez was set up way better than my $1800 Les Paul.

I guess it's another one of those things we have to nail down or it won't happen.

• Members

when I'm buying a guitar I do expect a complimentary set-up on it, with my preferred strings of choice. I'm dropping that good cash I want my axe playable when I pick it up. I wouldn't want a new car from a certified dealer that has low air in the tires, needs fluid changes, and light replacements. That all should be done for me from the jump.

The last guitar I bought was my Suhr Standard that I got from the Music Zoo, and I asked the guy taking care of me how much a set up was, and he said don't worry we take care of it for free, just call a day or two before you want to pick it up. That's service.

• Members

when I'm buying a guitar I do expect a complimentary set-up on it, with my preferred strings of choice. I'm dropping that good cash I want my axe playable when I pick it up. I wouldn't want a new car from a certified dealer that has low air in the tires, needs fluid changes, and light replacements. That all should be done for me from the jump.

The last guitar I bought was my Suhr Standard that I got from the Music Zoo, and I asked the guy taking care of me how much a set up was, and he said don't worry we take care of it for free, just call a day or two before you want to pick it up. That's service.

• Members

It depends where I'm getting it from, what it is, and how much I'm paying. I'd honestly rather they didn't mess with it at most places. (GC!) Now if I'm going to a really nice shop to buy something decent, yeah I'd kinda expect it to be ready to go. I'll still take it apart and do things my way the second its home with me.

• Members

It depends where I'm getting it from, what it is, and how much I'm paying. I'd honestly rather they didn't mess with it at most places. (GC!) Now if I'm going to a really nice shop to buy something decent, yeah I'd kinda expect it to be ready to go. I'll still take it apart and do things my way the second its home with me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AxAxSxS

View Post

I usually make a few changes myself after a setup, and I can understand not doing the intonation and height, but not adjusting the truss rod is just plain irresponsible those can't be adjusted very much before shipping, so it IS up to the shop to do so.

• Members

View Post

I usually make a few changes myself after a setup, and I can understand not doing the intonation and height, but not adjusting the truss rod is just plain irresponsible those can't be adjusted very much before shipping, so it IS up to the shop to do so.

View Post

It depends where I'm getting it from, what it is, and how much I'm paying.

I completely agree.

If I'm buying a $300 Squier, I don't have the same expectations, but if I'm buying a nice new American built guitar, either toss in a set of strings of my choice so I can do it myself, or offer to set it up for me.

View Post

It depends where I'm getting it from, what it is, and how much I'm paying.

I completely agree.

If I'm buying a $300 Squier, I don't have the same expectations, but if I'm buying a nice new American built guitar, either toss in a set of strings of my choice so I can do it myself, or offer to set it up for me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

I completely agree.

I don't really see why the more expensive guitar deserves a setup but the cheaper one doesn't. So because I don't have the cash for a 3k guitar I don't deserve my instrument to be set up properly? Like I said, I'm not expecting a crazy setup, but both guitars came with truss rods so loose they were almost free spinning in the necks, and would bend out of tune if the guitar was rested on only the body.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

I completely agree.

I don't really see why the more expensive guitar deserves a setup but the cheaper one doesn't. So because I don't have the cash for a 3k guitar I don't deserve my instrument to be set up properly? Like I said, I'm not expecting a crazy setup, but both guitars came with truss rods so loose they were almost free spinning in the necks, and would bend out of tune if the guitar was rested on only the body.

• Members

I almost always tweak whatever the setup is anyway but yeah it should be reasonably set up when they give it to you. My local shop owner sets up all the guitars he sells himself, so that's very cool. The shop I used to go to in brooklyn would also make sure all the instruments were decently set up and in tune before even putting them on the wall. I mean, who is going to buy a guitar if it feels like {censored}?

• Members

I almost always tweak whatever the setup is anyway but yeah it should be reasonably set up when they give it to you. My local shop owner sets up all the guitars he sells himself, so that's very cool. The shop I used to go to in brooklyn would also make sure all the instruments were decently set up and in tune before even putting them on the wall. I mean, who is going to buy a guitar if it feels like {censored}?

Quote Originally Posted by Prehistoricpain

View Post

Having once or twice worked in sales at MI retail stores (although it has been many, many years), I can tell you why it doesn't happen. It's complicated, and varies from store to store, situation to situation. Sometimes it's just plain laziness on the part of management, sales doods and dudettes. Sometimes it's lack of time if it's a busy store and management expects / wants the staff doing something else besides setting up guitars. And it does cost time to do setups, and time is money... There's typically more wiggle room in a higher priced guitar - along with higher customer expectations. Plus, having employees who may / may not know what they're doing messing with truss rods and nut slots is an added liability / risk for the store. If they break something like a truss rod, it's costly to them. As is adding a dedicated tech. Unless they're doing outside setups, they're not making any money for the store. Having them doing outside work is a whole 'nuther business, and requires space - not only for a tech bench, but for additional space for incoming / outgoing repair and setup items. And getting someone who can do that kind of work - and do it well - is not always easy to do.

Unfortunately, not enough people really know how to do a decent setup. And that includes guitarists, who IMO, should know better. cop.gifbiggrin.gif Really - if you've been playing for a few years, you should know how to at least do the basics yourself, and from all the guitarists who have brought guitars into the studio with really lousy setups and who had no idea how to adjust them themselves, I'd have to say that far too few ever bother to learn.

But back to the stores. IMHO, there's no reason why a truss rod should be way off like that. IMO, when you take the guitar out of the case or box, you should at least give it a quick once-over and make sure nothing's messed up. Putting something that's way out of whack up on the wall is just an embarrassment. IMO, a savvy salesperson / store owner / manager will either go in and adjust the guitars in advance (so they play better when customers try them out, which leads them to be more inclined to want to buy them idea.giffacepalm.gif ) or at the minimum, offer to set it up for the player as an incentive to them. Again, that's just smart business. It takes five to fifteen minutes to do the basics, and if it means closing the sale, it would seem more than justified from the store's perspective. Again - IF the guitar has enough margin in it to make the added time (the materials cost, in terms of strings, is minimal) and staff costs worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prehistoricpain

View Post

Having once or twice worked in sales at MI retail stores (although it has been many, many years), I can tell you why it doesn't happen. It's complicated, and varies from store to store, situation to situation. Sometimes it's just plain laziness on the part of management, sales doods and dudettes. Sometimes it's lack of time if it's a busy store and management expects / wants the staff doing something else besides setting up guitars. And it does cost time to do setups, and time is money... There's typically more wiggle room in a higher priced guitar - along with higher customer expectations. Plus, having employees who may / may not know what they're doing messing with truss rods and nut slots is an added liability / risk for the store. If they break something like a truss rod, it's costly to them. As is adding a dedicated tech. Unless they're doing outside setups, they're not making any money for the store. Having them doing outside work is a whole 'nuther business, and requires space - not only for a tech bench, but for additional space for incoming / outgoing repair and setup items. And getting someone who can do that kind of work - and do it well - is not always easy to do.

Unfortunately, not enough people really know how to do a decent setup. And that includes guitarists, who IMO, should know better. cop.gifbiggrin.gif Really - if you've been playing for a few years, you should know how to at least do the basics yourself, and from all the guitarists who have brought guitars into the studio with really lousy setups and who had no idea how to adjust them themselves, I'd have to say that far too few ever bother to learn.

But back to the stores. IMHO, there's no reason why a truss rod should be way off like that. IMO, when you take the guitar out of the case or box, you should at least give it a quick once-over and make sure nothing's messed up. Putting something that's way out of whack up on the wall is just an embarrassment. IMO, a savvy salesperson / store owner / manager will either go in and adjust the guitars in advance (so they play better when customers try them out, which leads them to be more inclined to want to buy them idea.giffacepalm.gif ) or at the minimum, offer to set it up for the player as an incentive to them. Again, that's just smart business. It takes five to fifteen minutes to do the basics, and if it means closing the sale, it would seem more than justified from the store's perspective. Again - IF the guitar has enough margin in it to make the added time (the materials cost, in terms of strings, is minimal) and staff costs worth it.

• Members

I think it's a case of you get what you pay for. If your shopping for the lowest price at GC i wouldn't expect a decent set up, but if you are at a local store that hopefully prides themselves on service I would expect them to do one.

Phil even when I was a snot nosed punk who knew ven less then I know now I always insisted that everyone go and get a good setup done before going into the studio.

• Members

I think it's a case of you get what you pay for. If your shopping for the lowest price at GC i wouldn't expect a decent set up, but if you are at a local store that hopefully prides themselves on service I would expect them to do one.

Phil even when I was a snot nosed punk who knew ven less then I know now I always insisted that everyone go and get a good setup done before going into the studio.

• Members

I buy mostly used guitars and I don't care if it's setup or not. Generally I do a restring/setup on everything I get anyway unless I get something built in which case I ask for it to be strung/setup a certain way.

• Members

I buy mostly used guitars and I don't care if it's setup or not. Generally I do a restring/setup on everything I get anyway unless I get something built in which case I ask for it to be strung/setup a certain way.

Archived