Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you buy a guitar do you expect..

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't expect it, as it is just not the norm as far as I can tell, but it is very problematic.

Thats why I go to two independent guitar shops in the D.C. area. Crossroads or Action Music. Everything on the floor is either reasonably set up, or, if it is new in stock, they will do a setup if you express interest in buying. Still, I will tweak the setup myself further. I can be extremely, 1/2mm, picky.

I have no hate on Guitar Center, it is actually significantly closer to me. So I'll get accessories there, but it is too hard for me to judge a fretted instruments' fretting with the action off.

Comment

I don't expect it, as it is just not the norm as far as I can tell, but it is very problematic.

Thats why I go to two independent guitar shops in the D.C. area. Crossroads or Action Music. Everything on the floor is either reasonably set up, or, if it is new in stock, they will do a setup if you express interest in buying. Still, I will tweak the setup myself further. I can be extremely, 1/2mm, picky.

I have no hate on Guitar Center, it is actually significantly closer to me. So I'll get accessories there, but it is too hard for me to judge a fretted instruments' fretting with the action off.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstrat86
        View Post

when I'm buying a guitar I do expect a complimentary set-up on it, with my preferred strings of choice. I'm dropping that good cash I want my axe playable when I pick it up. I wouldn't want a new car from a certified dealer that has low air in the tires, needs fluid changes, and light replacements. That all should be done for me from the jump.

The last guitar I bought was my Suhr Standard that I got from the Music Zoo, and I asked the guy taking care of me how much a set up was, and he said don't worry we take care of it for free, just call a day or two before you want to pick it up. That's service.

I bought my Nocaster form them about 10 years ago and they set it up really nicely.

From my experience, guitar shops usually tell you they'll throw in a free set-up when you buy a guitar; otherwise, I think, you have to pay for it. Most of the guitar shops I've delt with (maybe for this reason) have thrown in a free set-up with the deal, but not all do that. Gotta ask before you buy is the best advice I can give.
        ... puppets jerking on their strings ...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstrat86
          View Post

when I'm buying a guitar I do expect a complimentary set-up on it, with my preferred strings of choice. I'm dropping that good cash I want my axe playable when I pick it up. I wouldn't want a new car from a certified dealer that has low air in the tires, needs fluid changes, and light replacements. That all should be done for me from the jump.

The last guitar I bought was my Suhr Standard that I got from the Music Zoo, and I asked the guy taking care of me how much a set up was, and he said don't worry we take care of it for free, just call a day or two before you want to pick it up. That's service.

I bought my Nocaster form them about 10 years ago and they set it up really nicely.

From my experience, guitar shops usually tell you they'll throw in a free set-up when you buy a guitar; otherwise, I think, you have to pay for it. Most of the guitar shops I've delt with (maybe for this reason) have thrown in a free set-up with the deal, but not all do that. Gotta ask before you buy is the best advice I can give.
          ... puppets jerking on their strings ...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
            View Post

Like I said - good techs can sometimes be hard to find. Good techs that listen to what you are asking for, and try their best to deliver, are rarer still. The ones that actually do deliver - they're the ones you want to give your business to. Ask around. Other musicians (especially the good ones) will often be able to tell you who does good work locally - and who you should avoid. Same with local studios. They'll often know the names and numbers of the area's a-list techs.

It was a complete fluke. I was recommended this guy through a shop a couple towns over. I didn't tell him anything other than I needed my new pickups and pots installed in my V along with being set up for heavier strings and a lower tuning. Didn't tell him anything about set up. The guy did a beautiful job with that guitar. Was such a delight to play after that.
            My mother doesnt like my avatar.

Originally Posted by diocide

I used to have a brass pick, but I stopped using it. After using it, my fingers would smell like i fingered a Terminator and I just couldn't get past that. I'm a ****************ing weirdo, I know.

Church of Wolves

http://churchofwolves.bandcamp.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
              View Post

Like I said - good techs can sometimes be hard to find. Good techs that listen to what you are asking for, and try their best to deliver, are rarer still. The ones that actually do deliver - they're the ones you want to give your business to. Ask around. Other musicians (especially the good ones) will often be able to tell you who does good work locally - and who you should avoid. Same with local studios. They'll often know the names and numbers of the area's a-list techs.

It was a complete fluke. I was recommended this guy through a shop a couple towns over. I didn't tell him anything other than I needed my new pickups and pots installed in my V along with being set up for heavier strings and a lower tuning. Didn't tell him anything about set up. The guy did a beautiful job with that guitar. Was such a delight to play after that.
              My mother doesnt like my avatar.

Originally Posted by diocide

I used to have a brass pick, but I stopped using it. After using it, my fingers would smell like i fingered a Terminator and I just couldn't get past that. I'm a ****************ing weirdo, I know.

Church of Wolves

http://churchofwolves.bandcamp.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by americansinner
                View Post

I can be extremely, 1/2mm, picky.

.01969" can be a lot in a set up. That's over a 64th! You should be pickier!
                good deals with: nearly everyone.
                Previous Moniker tiles: JoshuaTSP, Science! & GAS KING

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by americansinner
                  View Post

I can be extremely, 1/2mm, picky.

.01969" can be a lot in a set up. That's over a 64th! You should be pickier!

Comment

I've only ever had one new guitar (my JJ) that was correctly intonated - every other instrument I've bought required basic work before it was usable.

But it seems that there's a lot of guys out there who have no idea about gear: when I bought my Heritage H150 used (through HC) the setup was the worst I'd ever had, and mentioning this to the seller he told me it had a 'pro setup' a year before, but he never really got on with it. Just shocking. I have a feeling there's a lot of guys like that (youtube demos confirm it!).
                    http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

http://photoxon.blogspot.co.uk/ My photography blog

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

I've only ever had one new guitar (my JJ) that was correctly intonated - every other instrument I've bought required basic work before it was usable.

But it seems that there's a lot of guys out there who have no idea about gear: when I bought my Heritage H150 used (through HC) the setup was the worst I'd ever had, and mentioning this to the seller he told me it had a 'pro setup' a year before, but he never really got on with it. Just shocking. I have a feeling there's a lot of guys like that (youtube demos confirm it!).
                      http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

http://photoxon.blogspot.co.uk/ My photography blog

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

Hey BG ? Are U REally P DiTtY?

Comment

Hey BG ? Are U REally P DiTtY?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Prehistoricpain
                            View Post

it to be setup? Both guitars had a deposit put down on them and 2 weeks between the down payment and pick up. And neither was setup at all. No truss rod adjustment, no height or intonation done. Is it just me or is this totally ****************ed up?

Did you do the down payment before playing the guitars? Did you tell the shop guy what kind of setup you wanted? The type of strings, amount of relief, string height, pickup clearance?

If a guitar doesn't at least have an average setup I won't buy it. How can you know how it plays otherwise?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Prehistoricpain
                              View Post

it to be setup? Both guitars had a deposit put down on them and 2 weeks between the down payment and pick up. And neither was setup at all. No truss rod adjustment, no height or intonation done. Is it just me or is this totally ****************ed up?

Did you do the down payment before playing the guitars? Did you tell the shop guy what kind of setup you wanted? The type of strings, amount of relief, string height, pickup clearance?

If a guitar doesn't at least have an average setup I won't buy it. How can you know how it plays otherwise?

Comment

Bottom line: if you play guitar, learn how to set it up.

No need to bitch about set ups after that

Comment

Working...
                                X