3D printers, Will we be able to print out guitars?

triviani

• Members

You'd need a pretty sophisticated 3D printer to print out the electronics. Also, whatever bonding agent you were using for the body/neck/bridge would have to be pretty strong to handle the string tension.

• Members

You'd need a pretty sophisticated 3D printer to print out the electronics. Also, whatever bonding agent you were using for the body/neck/bridge would have to be pretty strong to handle the string tension.

• Members

Come to think of it, you'd pretty much need the replicator from star trek to print out a functional guitar in full.

The body and neck without frets would probably work alright, though, if you used the right materials.

• Members

Come to think of it, you'd pretty much need the replicator from star trek to print out a functional guitar in full.

The body and neck without frets would probably work alright, though, if you used the right materials.

• Members

Yap, I know there are parts that cannot be reproduced -yet- but still. Material seems to be pretty resistent, although on that model and others they used a real neck. It's amazing you could print, say the body and the neck, with any shape or design you would want to, and then just add GFS electronics and hardware. Would a neck be possible?

Or we could finally arrive to The Future, and be able to print yourself a Mustang bass while making breakfast.

• Members

Yap, I know there are parts that cannot be reproduced -yet- but still. Material seems to be pretty resistent, although on that model and others they used a real neck. It's amazing you could print, say the body and the neck, with any shape or design you would want to, and then just add GFS electronics and hardware. Would a neck be possible?

Or we could finally arrive to The Future, and be able to print yourself a Mustang bass while making breakfast.

• Members

Probably not now. As far as I know 3D printers are more for prototyping in these kinds of applications, or at least it would be very cost prohibitive to make a sturdy functioning guitar body that way.

I doubt it won't be too long before printing materials get sophisticated enough that you could print out a guitar that way cost effectively, and then not much longer after that before it's cheaper to print out a guitar out of raw material than it is to chop down trees, cut and treat the wood, shape it, glue it together, etc....

Then everyone from the Gibson Nashville plant to the Squier Indonesia factory loses their job and we argue over the original hand shaped wood guitars vs. printed are better, and whether or not it's {censored}ed up that everyone lost their job to robots vs 'why don't those lazy {censored}ers just get a better job or work for 10 cents an hour to compete with machines?"

• Members

Probably not now. As far as I know 3D printers are more for prototyping in these kinds of applications, or at least it would be very cost prohibitive to make a sturdy functioning guitar body that way.

I doubt it won't be too long before printing materials get sophisticated enough that you could print out a guitar that way cost effectively, and then not much longer after that before it's cheaper to print out a guitar out of raw material than it is to chop down trees, cut and treat the wood, shape it, glue it together, etc....

Then everyone from the Gibson Nashville plant to the Squier Indonesia factory loses their job and we argue over the original hand shaped wood guitars vs. printed are better, and whether or not it's {censored}ed up that everyone lost their job to robots vs 'why don't those lazy {censored}ers just get a better job or work for 10 cents an hour to compete with machines?"

• Members

I know our engineering college is making some really cook stuff with this technology. I believe they've made robots, that can control other robots. They're even experimenting with edible food. Don't ask me how this is possible, but apparently it is. On the cusp of some really cool {censored} here.

• Members

I know our engineering college is making some really cook stuff with this technology. I believe they've made robots, that can control other robots. They're even experimenting with edible food. Don't ask me how this is possible, but apparently it is. On the cusp of some really cool {censored} here.

• Members

definitely possibile. i mean you probably woulnd't print out the pickups and strings and stuff. but the guitar itself would definitely be do-able. probably sound like {censored}. you can print a house these days, you can print guns, you can print pretty much anything with our existing technology. excited to see how far we can advance, soon we'll be printing new organs, no joke

• Members

definitely possibile. i mean you probably woulnd't print out the pickups and strings and stuff. but the guitar itself would definitely be do-able. probably sound like {censored}. you can print a house these days, you can print guns, you can print pretty much anything with our existing technology. excited to see how far we can advance, soon we'll be printing new organs, no joke

Archived