Shin Ei fuzz

Elessar [Sly]

• Members

Let me paint a picture for you...

...your in the deep dark woods...

...you hear birds chirping and squirrels screwing...

...the gentle wind blows on your ears...

...and then a mad lumberjack fires up a 42" chainsaw and cuts every frigg'n tree down...

...that is the Shin-ei...

It does need a lil clean boost to keep the level up.

DSC_2249_zps3f7bc3a5-1.jpg
DW

• Members

which shin-ei fuzz?

fy-6 or fy-2? The fuzz wahs have the fy-6 in them.

They all sound awesome in my opinion. I really love mine however they are hard to find, expensive and the old fy-2's are quiet as hell, which is annoying. You can do non-destructive mods to them to get them to a useable volume, but it would probably be easier to buy a wattson clone. They are really really well made and sound incredible, I have an original univox superfuzz, 2 original shin ei fuzz wah (fy-6/superfuzz) and an original shin ei fy-2. Pretty well every fuzz sounds a little different, but these clones absolutely nail the tone, with the benefit of being less noisy (being newer) and louder (in the case of the fy-2 which normally sits below normal input volume when engaged).

• Members

Probably not identical, but based on the superfuzz clones I tried I'd say they do okay in a full band. I'd guess some kind of booster might make a big difference though.

Never actually played with a real shin-ei btw, so I could be way off here...idn_smilie.gif

• Members

I've never played my fy-2 live without some sort of a boost or OD complimenting it, simply because it's too quiet to compete with the rest of my board. Although I can say when I did, it cut very well.

Both the fy6 and fy2 are mid scooped to a certain extent. The fy2 is really splatty, synthy, gnarly and absolutely shreds on bass too. The fy6 is a superfuzz, has more options and you can get some octavey bits out of it, it's a devastating fuzz and is generally more popular or what you'd expect from a fuzz. The FY6 I know cuts really well on it's own as this one gets loud enough.

The wattson version of the fy2's volume can go about 3.5x the original so it's probably a better rout that the original.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by orangesix View Post
is there an affordable clone of it?
In b4 wattson

My 2 cnts: Check out the small Malekko fuzz, as well as the BYOC Leeds. Supposed to be really good clones. And fwiw, I think they're true bypass, unlike the FZ-2.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by orangesix View Post
i was looking at this one
http://fridgebuzzz.com/LOTRF.html
One of the many superfuzz clones by small time builders and diy'ers. Don't know this particular one, but I'm sure it can't suck. As far as I know, and I'm no electronics wiz or anything, the circuit is a bit more complex than that of, say a fuzz face...But it's still not rocket science. Anyone with basic soldering skills should be able to nail it I guess, so when you're shopping for a clone pedal of a classic effect, it usually comes down to finding the cheapest one with the reight specsidn_smilie.gif

Nothing against the Wattson superfuzz btw, nothing but respect for the sexy slanted enclosuresmile.gif But I'd personally rather save a couple bucks and go with a clone housed ina boring hammond enclosureidn_smilie.gif

Archived