Favorite effects?

Lonnie99

• Members

I'm pretty new to single effects pedals, having gone through a host of multi units. I also haven't spent much money on those I have yet, but I've become very fond of my Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator, Behringer Digital Delay, and DOD Grunge pedals. I rarely use the Grunge by itself, but mated with the AC-2 I really really like it. I also use the Delay and AC-2 together. I predominantly play SSS strats.

ea4131b00ad255a0bd90b093b4c4aede.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Favorite to least favorite (all of them I like though) Fuzz, reverb, delay, tremolo, octave

Fuzz: mid-fi electronics demo tape, analogman peppermint

Reverb: subdecay spring theory, EQD ghost echo

Delay: endangered audio ad4096, catalinbread echorec, EQD disaster transport

Trem: fulltone supa trem, EQD hummingbird, catalinbread pareidolia (trem, phase viby goodness)

Octave: micro pog, pog2, boss oc-2

these are my favorite effects and in the order of preference. I could definitely live without an octave on my board but right now letting go is hard.

• Members

Favorite to least favorite (all of them I like though) Fuzz, reverb, delay, tremolo, octave

Fuzz: mid-fi electronics demo tape, analogman peppermint

Reverb: subdecay spring theory, EQD ghost echo

Delay: endangered audio ad4096, catalinbread echorec, EQD disaster transport

Trem: fulltone supa trem, EQD hummingbird, catalinbread pareidolia (trem, phase viby goodness)

Octave: micro pog, pog2, boss oc-2

these are my favorite effects and in the order of preference. I could definitely live without an octave on my board but right now letting go is hard.

• Members

Grunge and an AC-2? I'm curious of the sounds this makes.

I would try out a cheaper analog delay, an MXR Carbon Copy or something, and compare it to your digital delay. Analog doesn't have as many features (usually), but it's a softer and warmer delay.

There's so many options for modulation...I'd suggest picking up a Line 6 M5 or M9 and see what you like. If you're really digging the reverbs or vibratos, test out some other pedals to see if they have what you'd need. When buying used from here or The Gear Page you mostly break even but would get to test out different effects.

You might want to try putting the delay at the end of your chain, It's the "proper" way, but before works too if you like the sound.

• Members

Grunge and an AC-2? I'm curious of the sounds this makes.

I would try out a cheaper analog delay, an MXR Carbon Copy or something, and compare it to your digital delay. Analog doesn't have as many features (usually), but it's a softer and warmer delay.

There's so many options for modulation...I'd suggest picking up a Line 6 M5 or M9 and see what you like. If you're really digging the reverbs or vibratos, test out some other pedals to see if they have what you'd need. When buying used from here or The Gear Page you mostly break even but would get to test out different effects.

You might want to try putting the delay at the end of your chain, It's the "proper" way, but before works too if you like the sound.

• Members

Over the years my favorite effects are the ones that I haven't been able to knock off my board for several years...ones that have contributed to my sound significantly enough that I consider them "must haves". The list is as follows (and in no particular order).

Xotic BB Preamp: Best Marshall in a box pedal made in my opinion...I can't believe the compliments I get on my tone with this thing. Very amp like. I have mine modded to run up to 18v but typically run it at 12v. It also sounds great cascaded into the...

Xotic AC Booster: Great Fender type overdrive. Like the BB, I have mine modded to run up to 18v and I usually run it that way. It's a great subtle overdrive and sounds great with the BB in front of it for lead tones.

Xotic AC Plus: To my ears it doesn't quite sound like the AC Booster but it's close and it's great. I run it at 12v. I combine both channels when I want a darker, fatter lead tone than I can get by combining the AC Booster and BB Preamp. The two channels also sound great individually. For a two channel overdrive it's either this or the Fulltone FD2 MOSFET, but the AC Plus edges it out in the versatility category. Both sound great. I also own the BB Plus and it's good but it's not as amp like as the BB. I don't use it as much but it's a solid pedal.

Keeley Katana Clean Boost: Mine is a prototype that Robert made me before he officially released the Katana to the public. I've had it on my board for nearly a decade. I've tried just about every major clean boost out there and nothing is a good...PERIOD.

Analogman Bi-Chorus: I never really cared for chorus until I played my first Analogman Clone Chorus about 12 years ago and I've been using some version of his Small Stone clone ever since. The Bi-Chorus is about as good as it gets and it's a must have for what I do. Having the two settings to switch between is a majorly important feature for me.

Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe 2: It's big but it sounds great and the foot control is super handy so I go with this instead of the standard Mini Deja Vibe. There are other great vibe pedals out there that I've owned (Sweet Sound, FoxRox, etc.) but this is the widest usable range for everyday use and it's really well built. I use it sparingly but when I use it, it's always the right sound. Love it.

Fulltone Ultimate Octave: There are a lot of octave fuzzes out there...this one is really good and there just isn't any reason for me to use anything else...it's flexible, versatile and pulls double duty as a regular fuzz with authority and ease. The octave works across the entire fretboard and the addition of a tone knob and a bright/fat switch with a footswitchable octave function make this pedal a winner.

Skreddy Top Fuel: I know Marc was never really 100% happy with this pedal but I think it's his best work since his first fuzz pedal he built. I own a fair amount of fuzzes and the Top Fuel is just about as close to perfect as you can get for a fuzz. I snatch them up on eBay whenever I see them and have a little extra cash on hand. Huge usable range...great definition while still being able to get a huge wall of fuzz. It's like having ten tons of gravel shot out of a cannon at you...but also can double as a distortion depending on how you set it. The low end is woolly enough for your fuzz jollies but defined enough that you can chunk it a bit without it sounding bad. It's not too fizzy and the tone knob really works the midrange nicely.

Retro Sonic Distortion: It's a Rat clone with a 3 way switch...but it's a good one and there's so little real variation on this theme from other boutique offerings that this one is the first and last one I really need. Like other Retro Sonic pedals, it does what it does really well.

Retro Sonic Phaser: Like their distortion...it does what you expect, has a few features that improve on the original and sounds great doing it. Simple, effective, solid.

There are other effects that I use on my board but the manufacturer isn't as critical for me as they are in the offerings above. They include...

Compression: It's a must for some of the prepared guitar stuff I do, bowing, volume swells and other more traditional compressor uses. There are a lot of good offerings on the market and if it's got an attack control and is reasonably quiet I can get by with just about any one of them. Right now the Barber Tone Press and Xotic SP are my faves but I've used and was happy with the Keeley comp with attack knob and the Analogman Comprossor with attack knob.

Wah: I don't wah much...and when I do, it's not usually used in the classic sense. My faves these days are any of the Fulltone wahs (I have the Clyde and Clyde Deluxe) and the older Budda Budwah (I have a couple of those...I snatch these up too along with Top Fuels when I see them on eBay and I have the cash to burn). I also have the CAE wah...it's decent. The only other wah I've liked as much as the Fulltone and Budda was the Teese RMC-3...but I like the simplicity of the others.

Tremolo and Reverb: When they're critical to the style I'm playing in or when I'm recording I usually go for a Fender amp or some decent reverb unit and the Fulltone SupaTrem. When they're less critical I usually go with the M-9.

Delay: There are lots of good delay units out there but there's not one that does what I want it to do without going with a multi-effects unit with MIDI and redundant effects. Right now there is no perfect solution so I'm settling with the M-9 until something better comes along.

• Members

Over the years my favorite effects are the ones that I haven't been able to knock off my board for several years...ones that have contributed to my sound significantly enough that I consider them "must haves". The list is as follows (and in no particular order).

Xotic BB Preamp: Best Marshall in a box pedal made in my opinion...I can't believe the compliments I get on my tone with this thing. Very amp like. I have mine modded to run up to 18v but typically run it at 12v. It also sounds great cascaded into the...

Xotic AC Booster: Great Fender type overdrive. Like the BB, I have mine modded to run up to 18v and I usually run it that way. It's a great subtle overdrive and sounds great with the BB in front of it for lead tones.

Xotic AC Plus: To my ears it doesn't quite sound like the AC Booster but it's close and it's great. I run it at 12v. I combine both channels when I want a darker, fatter lead tone than I can get by combining the AC Booster and BB Preamp. The two channels also sound great individually. For a two channel overdrive it's either this or the Fulltone FD2 MOSFET, but the AC Plus edges it out in the versatility category. Both sound great. I also own the BB Plus and it's good but it's not as amp like as the BB. I don't use it as much but it's a solid pedal.

Keeley Katana Clean Boost: Mine is a prototype that Robert made me before he officially released the Katana to the public. I've had it on my board for nearly a decade. I've tried just about every major clean boost out there and nothing is a good...PERIOD.

Analogman Bi-Chorus: I never really cared for chorus until I played my first Analogman Clone Chorus about 12 years ago and I've been using some version of his Small Stone clone ever since. The Bi-Chorus is about as good as it gets and it's a must have for what I do. Having the two settings to switch between is a majorly important feature for me.

Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe 2: It's big but it sounds great and the foot control is super handy so I go with this instead of the standard Mini Deja Vibe. There are other great vibe pedals out there that I've owned (Sweet Sound, FoxRox, etc.) but this is the widest usable range for everyday use and it's really well built. I use it sparingly but when I use it, it's always the right sound. Love it.

Fulltone Ultimate Octave: There are a lot of octave fuzzes out there...this one is really good and there just isn't any reason for me to use anything else...it's flexible, versatile and pulls double duty as a regular fuzz with authority and ease. The octave works across the entire fretboard and the addition of a tone knob and a bright/fat switch with a footswitchable octave function make this pedal a winner.

Skreddy Top Fuel: I know Marc was never really 100% happy with this pedal but I think it's his best work since his first fuzz pedal he built. I own a fair amount of fuzzes and the Top Fuel is just about as close to perfect as you can get for a fuzz. I snatch them up on eBay whenever I see them and have a little extra cash on hand. Huge usable range...great definition while still being able to get a huge wall of fuzz. It's like having ten tons of gravel shot out of a cannon at you...but also can double as a distortion depending on how you set it. The low end is woolly enough for your fuzz jollies but defined enough that you can chunk it a bit without it sounding bad. It's not too fizzy and the tone knob really works the midrange nicely.

Retro Sonic Distortion: It's a Rat clone with a 3 way switch...but it's a good one and there's so little real variation on this theme from other boutique offerings that this one is the first and last one I really need. Like other Retro Sonic pedals, it does what it does really well.

Retro Sonic Phaser: Like their distortion...it does what you expect, has a few features that improve on the original and sounds great doing it. Simple, effective, solid.

There are other effects that I use on my board but the manufacturer isn't as critical for me as they are in the offerings above. They include...

Compression: It's a must for some of the prepared guitar stuff I do, bowing, volume swells and other more traditional compressor uses. There are a lot of good offerings on the market and if it's got an attack control and is reasonably quiet I can get by with just about any one of them. Right now the Barber Tone Press and Xotic SP are my faves but I've used and was happy with the Keeley comp with attack knob and the Analogman Comprossor with attack knob.

Wah: I don't wah much...and when I do, it's not usually used in the classic sense. My faves these days are any of the Fulltone wahs (I have the Clyde and Clyde Deluxe) and the older Budda Budwah (I have a couple of those...I snatch these up too along with Top Fuels when I see them on eBay and I have the cash to burn). I also have the CAE wah...it's decent. The only other wah I've liked as much as the Fulltone and Budda was the Teese RMC-3...but I like the simplicity of the others.

Tremolo and Reverb: When they're critical to the style I'm playing in or when I'm recording I usually go for a Fender amp or some decent reverb unit and the Fulltone SupaTrem. When they're less critical I usually go with the M-9.

Delay: There are lots of good delay units out there but there's not one that does what I want it to do without going with a multi-effects unit with MIDI and redundant effects. Right now there is no perfect solution so I'm settling with the M-9 until something better comes along.

Archived