Updating my board

thom

• Members

Thinking of updating/upgrading my whole set-up. Not just for the sake of sattisfying my GAS, though I can't deny I'm just a bit bored with the same pedals I been using for the last year or so.

For starters, I've developed a taste for true bypass pedals. And my musical preference as well as playing style have evolved somewhat...Which is why i feel somewhat limited by my current collection of effects.

Anyway, here's how things look like right now:

-Ernie Ball VP Jr.
-Turbotuner
-Boss CS-3
-Mooer Cruncher
-Red Witch Fuzz God II
-Way Huge Swollen Pickle MkII
-Boss FZ-2
-Boss DD-5
-Line 6 DL-4
-EHX Freeze
-Boss RC-2

Some of that is under-used and will go all together, most of it can stay. I don't want to invest a ton in this btw, cause I guess I'm just "fine tuning" my board in a corksniffy way.

• Members

Didn't mension what I have in mind:

-Killer delay pedal, or another pair of killer delay peds, to replace the DL4 and DD-5.

The DL-4 is a great and affordable all-in one delay monster, but the looper and swell modes are the only sounds I use once in a while. Most of the other modes are okay, but nothing to write home about imoidn_smilie.gif

The reverse mode on the DD-5 is to die for imo, but that seems like a meh reason not to put something more versatile in it's place. The repeats of the DD-5 drown in the mix like a mother, they're neither mushty in a warm analog kinda way, and they're not pristine digital sounding enough to cut through in a loud band.

-Don't want to change much in the dirt departement. I mainly use my amp's dirt, and the little mooer cruncher is reall all I need as an extra/back up for that. Also use it in front of the fuzz peds, of which I might just ditch the Swollen Pickle. It's a brutal muff fuzz, but it's also a nightmare in a live situation, even stacked with another od/dist pedal. The FZ-2 is staying untill I find a good affordable true bypass superfuzz clone.

-Another reverb might be sweet, but for now I guess I can get by with just delay.

-CE2, tuner, freeze, VP: Staying, definatelly.

-RC2: Gotto go. Keeping around it in case I ever get that El Ten Eleven'esque band going thoughsmile.gif

-CS3: Been looking for a good alternative that's true bypass for years, but haven't find anything sub $150 I really like.

I know a TB switcher is an option for those Boss pedals, I guess that's probably the easiest and cheapest solution here.

So I don't want to change it up TOO much yet. Anyone who's got any ideas: Fire away. Cheers.

• Members

Didn't mension what I have in mind:

-Killer delay pedal, or another pair of killer delay peds, to replace the DL4 and DD-5.

The DL-4 is a great and affordable all-in one delay monster, but the looper and swell modes are the only sounds I use once in a while. Most of the other modes are okay, but nothing to write home about imoidn_smilie.gif

The reverse mode on the DD-5 is to die for imo, but that seems like a meh reason not to put something more versatile in it's place. The repeats of the DD-5 drown in the mix like a mother, they're neither mushty in a warm analog kinda way, and they're not pristine digital sounding enough to cut through in a loud band.

-Don't want to change much in the dirt departement. I mainly use my amp's dirt, and the little mooer cruncher is reall all I need as an extra/back up for that. Also use it in front of the fuzz peds, of which I might just ditch the Swollen Pickle. It's a brutal muff fuzz, but it's also a nightmare in a live situation, even stacked with another od/dist pedal. The FZ-2 is staying untill I find a good affordable true bypass superfuzz clone.

-Another reverb might be sweet, but for now I guess I can get by with just delay.

-CE2, tuner, freeze, VP: Staying, definatelly.

-RC2: Gotto go. Keeping around it in case I ever get that El Ten Eleven'esque band going thoughsmile.gif

-CS3: Been looking for a good alternative that's true bypass for years, but haven't find anything sub $150 I really like.

I know a TB switcher is an option for those Boss pedals, I guess that's probably the easiest and cheapest solution here.

So I don't want to change it up TOO much yet. Anyone who's got any ideas: Fire away. Cheers.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ambient

View Post

How about a barber tone press instead of your cs-3? I know you said you're looking for sub-$150 and it's $159, you may be able to by cheaper secondhand.

I read it's supposed to be more of an always-on subtle/natural compressor...Right? I'm really into extremely squishy compression. The only one I can think of that I'd want really bad: Analogman bi-comp. Not an option though, for obvious reasons.

Small update btw: I might have found a replacement for the "delay 1st world problem"smile.gif

Moog Mf-104Z and/or Malekko 616. I guess the moog is basically a pricey wooden side panel'd version of the 616, so one of these two *might* be traded for a Superdelay, or vox delaylab. The latter might be too small of an upgrade for the DL4 I guess though, so I'm not sure yet.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ambient

View Post

How about a barber tone press instead of your cs-3? I know you said you're looking for sub-$150 and it's $159, you may be able to by cheaper secondhand.

I read it's supposed to be more of an always-on subtle/natural compressor...Right? I'm really into extremely squishy compression. The only one I can think of that I'd want really bad: Analogman bi-comp. Not an option though, for obvious reasons.

Small update btw: I might have found a replacement for the "delay 1st world problem"smile.gif

Moog Mf-104Z and/or Malekko 616. I guess the moog is basically a pricey wooden side panel'd version of the 616, so one of these two *might* be traded for a Superdelay, or vox delaylab. The latter might be too small of an upgrade for the DL4 I guess though, so I'm not sure yet.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Paint

View Post

The DD-20 is widely regarded as excellent for its price isn't it?

Seems like a good option to me.

I'm sure it is, but a couple reasons why I prefer DL4/delaylab/superdelay type of modelers:

-More than one or two footswichable user presets.

-Dummy proof interface. A handfull of switches and toggles instead of a digital menu and a zillion of features I probably won't ever use anyway.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Paint

View Post

The DD-20 is widely regarded as excellent for its price isn't it?

Seems like a good option to me.

I'm sure it is, but a couple reasons why I prefer DL4/delaylab/superdelay type of modelers:

-Dummy proof interface. A handfull of switches and toggles instead of a digital menu and a zillion of features I probably won't ever use anyway.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thom

View Post

Fair enough.

What about the Flashback X4? It is ginormous though. Or maybe the Flashback + something else?

The Superdelay is a really great delay that keeps it relatively simple and you should be able to find one cheapish due to the timeline being available.

• Members

Timeline: Really tempting, but it'd eat up my entire delay budget, and wouldn't leave anything to fund my irrational analog delay obsessionicon_lol.gif

The flashback does indeed look like good competition for the delaylab. Gotto admit I haven't checked too many reviews/clips yet, I'll change that asap. Unless it's got anything mind blowing going for it, I'll probably just go with whichever of these four I can find the cheapest: timeline, delaylab, superdelay, flashback X4.

One of those, plus either the 616 or moog delay should make a pretty yummy delay comboicon_lol.gif

Archived