FMIC destroys another classic brand - no more Hamer

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
    View Post

Rose colored glasses my friend. The Baldwin era Gretsch stuff was worse IMO than the Norlin era and CBS era Gibsons and Fenders. I'd much rather have a MIJ Gretsch from today. As far as the ultra-high end USA stuff, it's probably THE best stuff Gretsch has ever made - or right there with it insofar as build and materials quality.

I have to disagree with you. I'll take my 1957 6120 with the Brazilian rosewood board and those great old Dynasonics and all the American made hardware, high grade wood and craftsmanship. The Baldwin stuff was bad, I agree with you there but owning/having owned a lot of the reissue stuff (Tenn Rose, Country Gent, Elliot Easton, Falcon, Sparkle & Pearl Jet) to say that it's anywhere close to what they were doing in the mid-50s is insanity.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by erksin
      View Post

What 'game' did they change? Making Gibsons better than Gibson did at the time? I don't get it...

Making a guitar much better than Gibson for much less money.

I have a Hamer Sunburst #007. Out of my eight guitars it is by far the best one.
      “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
      -Rachel Carson-

Comment

View Post

What 'game' did they change? Making Gibsons better than Gibson did at the time? I don't get it...

Making a guitar much better than Gibson for much less money.

I have a Hamer Sunburst #007. Out of my eight guitars it is by far the best one.
        “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
        -Rachel Carson-

Comment

View Post

Making a guitar much better than Gibson for much less money. No one else was doing it at that time.

-Rachel Carson-

Comment

View Post

Making a guitar much better than Gibson for much less money. No one else was doing it at that time.

-Rachel Carson-

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by BG76
              View Post

This is a joke, right? Gretsch guitars are nothing like what they were in the mid-late 50s. Sure, Baldwin made some crap but FMIC has hit an all time low.

I thought it funny the author of the article didn't mention Cheap Trick with Hamer but if anyone has ever played a REAL Hamer (Danzig years) they're killer - much like a real Gretsch, BC Rich or Jackson.

Dude, I've played some of the top of the line most expensive Gretsch guitars out there AND vintage ones and I think the new ones hold there own as much if not moreso. My band at one point when we were doing our thing was talking to Fender/Gretsch about endorsement stuff. I'll always defend their honor.

View Post

I would rather there was no new Gretsch, Hamer, Fender, etc... even if I couldn't afford the old ones at least the brands would still mean something. I'm not a hipster or a lawyer but I have a lot of old Gibson/Fender/Gretsch, etc.... What do hipsters do that make them so much money?

They increase the demand and therefore the cost.

View Post

Rose colored glasses my friend. The Baldwin era Gretsch stuff was worse IMO than the Norlin era and CBS era Gibsons and Fenders. I'd much rather have a MIJ Gretsch from today. As far as the ultra-high end USA stuff, it's probably THE best stuff Gretsch has ever made - or right there with it insofar as build and materials quality.

This.
              http://www.facebook.com/thegloriousrebellion
              http://thegloriousrebellion.bandcamp.com

Comment

View Post

This is a joke, right? Gretsch guitars are nothing like what they were in the mid-late 50s. Sure, Baldwin made some crap but FMIC has hit an all time low.

I thought it funny the author of the article didn't mention Cheap Trick with Hamer but if anyone has ever played a REAL Hamer (Danzig years) they're killer - much like a real Gretsch, BC Rich or Jackson.

Dude, I've played some of the top of the line most expensive Gretsch guitars out there AND vintage ones and I think the new ones hold there own as much if not moreso. My band at one point when we were doing our thing was talking to Fender/Gretsch about endorsement stuff. I'll always defend their honor.

View Post

I would rather there was no new Gretsch, Hamer, Fender, etc... even if I couldn't afford the old ones at least the brands would still mean something. I'm not a hipster or a lawyer but I have a lot of old Gibson/Fender/Gretsch, etc.... What do hipsters do that make them so much money?

They increase the demand and therefore the cost.

View Post

This.
                http://www.facebook.com/thegloriousrebellion
                http://thegloriousrebellion.bandcamp.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dparr
                  View Post

That's not changing the game. That's playing the same game with somebody else's ball.

And that goes to the whole point of how Hamer was never able to step outside of Gibson's shadow and why they cease to exist as a company today.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dparr
                    View Post

That's not changing the game. That's playing the same game with somebody else's ball.

And that goes to the whole point of how Hamer was never able to step outside of Gibson's shadow and why they cease to exist as a company today.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by erksin
                      View Post

They were not Gibsons in any way. Much better. Yep, they were game changers.

How many 70' Hamers have you played?
                      -Rachel Carson-

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by erksin
                        View Post

-Rachel Carson-

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by dparr
                          View Post

What innovations did they bring to the table that changed the game? They may have built a nicer mousetrap, but it was still a mousetrap. And it was a mousetrap originally designed by Gibson.

I've played 3.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by dparr
                            View Post

What innovations did they bring to the table that changed the game? They may have built a nicer mousetrap, but it was still a mousetrap. And it was a mousetrap originally designed by Gibson.

I've played 3.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by HP Hovercraft
                              View Post

Hmmm, interesting. So DRRI and up, then.

thats what i thought earlier, but was just guessing.
                              great deals with Urinate Forever and stratedge09

Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

Ya'll n****s is gay

Cheers, Lucius.

the.Orange.congolomorate Thunderverb 50 sucka!
                              SG ARMY

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by HP Hovercraft
                                View Post

Hmmm, interesting. So DRRI and up, then.

thats what i thought earlier, but was just guessing.
                                great deals with Urinate Forever and stratedge09

Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

Ya'll n****s is gay

Cheers, Lucius.

the.Orange.congolomorate Thunderverb 50 sucka!
                                SG ARMY

Comment

Working...
                                X