Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

FMIC destroys another classic brand - no more Hamer

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61






    Quote Originally Posted by V
    View Post

    I mean, let's be honest. Hamer guitars are not really a good fit for our current guitar aesthetic. Maybe they will be one day again but I can't see someone taking a hamer on tv and it fitting in unless maybe they're in a pop band.




    To a degree, the same could be said for BC Rich, Jackson, Charvel and Dean. Pointy guitars still have legions of fans, but they're not nearly as popular as they once were.
    **********

    "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

    - George Carlin

    "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

    "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

    Comment


    • #62
      I'm pretty sure the PRRI and up are US-made.



      Also, Fender doesn't own Gretsch.



      I wish Fender would do something with Sunn.

      Comment


      • #63
        I'm pretty sure the PRRI and up are US-made.



        Also, Fender doesn't own Gretsch.



        I wish Fender would do something with Sunn.

        Comment


        • #64
          Dear Hamer,



          Good night sweet prince.



          You grew of amazing care and craftmanship only to allow yourself to become a toy. What was once a branding of kings and worthy of the highest praise is now only worthy of, well, you decide.

          Comment


          • #65
            Dear Hamer,



            Good night sweet prince.



            You grew of amazing care and craftmanship only to allow yourself to become a toy. What was once a branding of kings and worthy of the highest praise is now only worthy of, well, you decide.

            Comment


            • #66






              Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
              View Post

              To a degree, the same could be said for BC Rich, Jackson, Charvel and Dean. Pointy guitars still have legions of fans, but they're not nearly as popular as they once were.




              And let's not forget that Dean started out making very Gibson-inspired designs. They died once too.

              Comment


              • #67






                Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe
                View Post

                To a degree, the same could be said for BC Rich, Jackson, Charvel and Dean. Pointy guitars still have legions of fans, but they're not nearly as popular as they once were.




                And let's not forget that Dean started out making very Gibson-inspired designs. They died once too.

                Comment


                • #68






                  Quote Originally Posted by BG76
                  View Post

                  I would rather there was no new Gretsch, Hamer, Fender, etc... even if I couldn't afford the old ones at least the brands would still mean something. I'm not a hipster or a lawyer but I have a lot of old Gibson/Fender/Gretsch, etc.... What do hipsters do that make them so much money?




                  Mean something?



                  This isn't TGP, and nostalgia is mostly that.



                  If it looks good, feels good, and sounds good, what's the problem?



                  There are cheap Squires that are totally great instruments.



                  You make it sound as though these things come unglued on the Guitar Center sales floor. What are all these magical, remarkable qualities that have, supposedly, altogether vanished?
                  Benjamin Allison
                  http://roestudios.com/
                  http://benjamin-samuel.com

                  Comment


                  • #69






                    Quote Originally Posted by BG76
                    View Post

                    I would rather there was no new Gretsch, Hamer, Fender, etc... even if I couldn't afford the old ones at least the brands would still mean something. I'm not a hipster or a lawyer but I have a lot of old Gibson/Fender/Gretsch, etc.... What do hipsters do that make them so much money?




                    Mean something?



                    This isn't TGP, and nostalgia is mostly that.



                    If it looks good, feels good, and sounds good, what's the problem?



                    There are cheap Squires that are totally great instruments.



                    You make it sound as though these things come unglued on the Guitar Center sales floor. What are all these magical, remarkable qualities that have, supposedly, altogether vanished?
                    Benjamin Allison
                    http://roestudios.com/
                    http://benjamin-samuel.com

                    Comment


                    • #70






                      Quote Originally Posted by HP Hovercraft
                      View Post

                      I'm pretty sure the PRRI and up are US-made.



                      Also, Fender doesn't own Gretsch.



                      I wish Fender would do something with Sunn.




                      My PRRI is made in Mexico. And I'm fine with that. It's a nice product and Esenada, where the factory is, is a cool town.

                      Comment


                      • #71






                        Quote Originally Posted by HP Hovercraft
                        View Post

                        I'm pretty sure the PRRI and up are US-made.



                        Also, Fender doesn't own Gretsch.



                        I wish Fender would do something with Sunn.




                        My PRRI is made in Mexico. And I'm fine with that. It's a nice product and Esenada, where the factory is, is a cool town.

                        Comment


                        • #72






                          Quote Originally Posted by BG76
                          View Post

                          I would rather there was no new Gretsch, Hamer, Fender, etc... even if I couldn't afford the old ones at least the brands would still mean something. I'm not a hipster or a lawyer but I have a lot of old Gibson/Fender/Gretsch, etc.... What do hipsters do that make them so much money?




                          Boy, your world would be full of awesome guitar brands that you cannot afford without a mortgage. Classics will always be classics, and the older stuff (Real stuff, if you will) will always have its market of doctors and lawyers and wankers who want something with a high price-tag and some history to go into a collection or on their wall... But please remember that all instruments were made to be played. By keeping the brands going, people can get their hands on something that they can enjoyplaying without high insurance costs - and the manufacturing is not as bad as you make it seem. Epiphone has made their guitars overseas for many, many years.



                          I just got a Gretsch resonator for Christmas. It plays and sounds great. Can't complain about the price my wife paid, either. Unless I was 'one of those guys' ... It's going to gig with me for years.



                          FWIW - Fender doesn't Own Gretsch, they are contracted to design and distribute. They have gone back to more 'Gretsch-like' methods but want to maintain a brand that people can afford (they do have their Custom series that cost a pretty penny if you want something like the olden days)...
                          Fender Acoustasonic Tele
                          Gretsch 9220 Bobtail resonator
                          Epi Les Paul Custom
                          Garrison G-50-E
                          1984 Martin Shenandoah
                          Stiletto Studio5
                          Upright bass w/pickup
                          Yamaha RBX 260F Fretless 4
                          Essex (SX) B-205
                          And a cool old Kingston Bass that looks good on my wall....
                          Aphex Punch Factor
                          Jekyll & Hyde dual distortion
                          Ibby Toneloc Digital Delay
                          Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III *Red October limited run*

                          Comment


                          • #73






                            Quote Originally Posted by BG76
                            View Post

                            I would rather there was no new Gretsch, Hamer, Fender, etc... even if I couldn't afford the old ones at least the brands would still mean something. I'm not a hipster or a lawyer but I have a lot of old Gibson/Fender/Gretsch, etc.... What do hipsters do that make them so much money?




                            Boy, your world would be full of awesome guitar brands that you cannot afford without a mortgage. Classics will always be classics, and the older stuff (Real stuff, if you will) will always have its market of doctors and lawyers and wankers who want something with a high price-tag and some history to go into a collection or on their wall... But please remember that all instruments were made to be played. By keeping the brands going, people can get their hands on something that they can enjoyplaying without high insurance costs - and the manufacturing is not as bad as you make it seem. Epiphone has made their guitars overseas for many, many years.



                            I just got a Gretsch resonator for Christmas. It plays and sounds great. Can't complain about the price my wife paid, either. Unless I was 'one of those guys' ... It's going to gig with me for years.



                            FWIW - Fender doesn't Own Gretsch, they are contracted to design and distribute. They have gone back to more 'Gretsch-like' methods but want to maintain a brand that people can afford (they do have their Custom series that cost a pretty penny if you want something like the olden days)...
                            Fender Acoustasonic Tele
                            Gretsch 9220 Bobtail resonator
                            Epi Les Paul Custom
                            Garrison G-50-E
                            1984 Martin Shenandoah
                            Stiletto Studio5
                            Upright bass w/pickup
                            Yamaha RBX 260F Fretless 4
                            Essex (SX) B-205
                            And a cool old Kingston Bass that looks good on my wall....
                            Aphex Punch Factor
                            Jekyll & Hyde dual distortion
                            Ibby Toneloc Digital Delay
                            Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III *Red October limited run*

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Just about every old Gretsch I ever saw had problems. Rotting binding mostly, but a lot of bad neck joints, crappy pots, and other niggles the Gibsons of the same age don't usually display. In the Baldwin era they got worse. Fred farming out distribution and production to FMIC was the best thing that could have happened to the brand. Saved it from the dustbin of history, and they are good instruments nowadays up and down the line, tho still quirky. If they wern't a little quirky then the wouldn't be a Gretsch, lol.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Just about every old Gretsch I ever saw had problems. Rotting binding mostly, but a lot of bad neck joints, crappy pots, and other niggles the Gibsons of the same age don't usually display. In the Baldwin era they got worse. Fred farming out distribution and production to FMIC was the best thing that could have happened to the brand. Saved it from the dustbin of history, and they are good instruments nowadays up and down the line, tho still quirky. If they wern't a little quirky then the wouldn't be a Gretsch, lol.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X