Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

FMIC destroys another classic brand - no more Hamer

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46






    Quote Originally Posted by Pewtershmit
    View Post

    Well I wouldn't blame FMIC for this one. They only bought Hamer in 2007, it was well ****************ed by then. Their custom shop instruments were very expensive, and their import line couldn't hold a candle to the strength of Epiphone. The cheaper a pricepoint goes the brand tends to become far more important for the uninformed consumer and Hamer, much like Charvel doesn't have the name it used to have.




    Yeah, it was Kaman that put the strategy Hamer had been using in place, not Fender. You can debate whether Fender should have changed that strategy, but it wasn't their idea. Not to mention that they didn't specifically buy Hamer, they bought Kaman's music division, which just happened to include Hamer. An obvious question is why they didn't kill Hamer when they bought Kaman. Instead they gave it five years of additional life, and reportedly the workers will produce instruments for other Fender owned brands.
    Some Ramblings from Mr. Gueguen
    http://timgueguen.blogspot.com

    Saskatoon At 7 Megapixels
    http://saskatoonseven.blogspot.com

    A Magpie Moment.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxBVa9D0-J4

    Comment


    • #47






      Quote Originally Posted by Pewtershmit
      View Post

      Well I wouldn't blame FMIC for this one. They only bought Hamer in 2007, it was well ****************ed by then. Their custom shop instruments were very expensive, and their import line couldn't hold a candle to the strength of Epiphone. The cheaper a pricepoint goes the brand tends to become far more important for the uninformed consumer and Hamer, much like Charvel doesn't have the name it used to have.




      Yeah, it was Kaman that put the strategy Hamer had been using in place, not Fender. You can debate whether Fender should have changed that strategy, but it wasn't their idea. Not to mention that they didn't specifically buy Hamer, they bought Kaman's music division, which just happened to include Hamer. An obvious question is why they didn't kill Hamer when they bought Kaman. Instead they gave it five years of additional life, and reportedly the workers will produce instruments for other Fender owned brands.
      Some Ramblings from Mr. Gueguen
      http://timgueguen.blogspot.com

      Saskatoon At 7 Megapixels
      http://saskatoonseven.blogspot.com

      A Magpie Moment.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxBVa9D0-J4

      Comment


      • #48






        Quote Originally Posted by Van_Muddlestein
        View Post

        FMIC isn't all bad. Gretsch is still kicking whole tons of ass. I could give a **************** about any of the other companies but that one is very much the truth.




        This is a joke, right? Gretsch guitars are nothing like what they were in the mid-late 50s. Sure, Baldwin made some crap but FMIC has hit an all time low.



        I thought it funny the author of the article didn't mention Cheap Trick with Hamer but if anyone has ever played a REAL Hamer (Danzig years) they're killer - much like a real Gretsch, BC Rich or Jackson.

        Comment


        • #49






          Quote Originally Posted by Van_Muddlestein
          View Post

          FMIC isn't all bad. Gretsch is still kicking whole tons of ass. I could give a **************** about any of the other companies but that one is very much the truth.




          This is a joke, right? Gretsch guitars are nothing like what they were in the mid-late 50s. Sure, Baldwin made some crap but FMIC has hit an all time low.



          I thought it funny the author of the article didn't mention Cheap Trick with Hamer but if anyone has ever played a REAL Hamer (Danzig years) they're killer - much like a real Gretsch, BC Rich or Jackson.

          Comment


          • #50






            Quote Originally Posted by caeman
            View Post

            If it weren't for FMIC buying those brands, they would have each disappeared into history, never more producing instruments, and only hipsters and lawyers would be able to buy them.




            I would rather there was no new Gretsch, Hamer, Fender, etc... even if I couldn't afford the old ones at least the brands would still mean something. I'm not a hipster or a lawyer but I have a lot of old Gibson/Fender/Gretsch, etc.... What do hipsters do that make them so much money?

            Comment


            • #51






              Quote Originally Posted by caeman
              View Post

              If it weren't for FMIC buying those brands, they would have each disappeared into history, never more producing instruments, and only hipsters and lawyers would be able to buy them.




              I would rather there was no new Gretsch, Hamer, Fender, etc... even if I couldn't afford the old ones at least the brands would still mean something. I'm not a hipster or a lawyer but I have a lot of old Gibson/Fender/Gretsch, etc.... What do hipsters do that make them so much money?

              Comment


              • #52






                Quote Originally Posted by tim gueguen
                View Post

                Yeah, it was Kaman that put the strategy Hamer had been using in place, not Fender. You can debate whether Fender should have changed that strategy, but it wasn't their idea. Not to mention that they didn't specifically buy Hamer, they bought Kaman's music division, which just happened to include Hamer. An obvious question is why they didn't kill Hamer when they bought Kaman. Instead they gave it five years of additional life, and reportedly the workers will produce instruments for other Fender owned brands.




                When a company buys a large group of companies like that, it would be very poor form to put out the memo the day they buy it to lay off everyone and kill the brands. I'm sure fender didn't really factor Hamer much into their equation (tak is huge, also KMC has large distribution of products including here in Canada). When they bought KMC Fender basically transitionedinto different factorys and slowly moved production of the US made instruments such as the Hamer Custom Shop and Ovation into existing Fender Shops then closed the OG factories. That **************** takes time.
                Breaus, check out my youtube channel. pls.

                Comment


                • #53






                  Quote Originally Posted by tim gueguen
                  View Post

                  Yeah, it was Kaman that put the strategy Hamer had been using in place, not Fender. You can debate whether Fender should have changed that strategy, but it wasn't their idea. Not to mention that they didn't specifically buy Hamer, they bought Kaman's music division, which just happened to include Hamer. An obvious question is why they didn't kill Hamer when they bought Kaman. Instead they gave it five years of additional life, and reportedly the workers will produce instruments for other Fender owned brands.




                  When a company buys a large group of companies like that, it would be very poor form to put out the memo the day they buy it to lay off everyone and kill the brands. I'm sure fender didn't really factor Hamer much into their equation (tak is huge, also KMC has large distribution of products including here in Canada). When they bought KMC Fender basically transitionedinto different factorys and slowly moved production of the US made instruments such as the Hamer Custom Shop and Ovation into existing Fender Shops then closed the OG factories. That **************** takes time.
                  Breaus, check out my youtube channel. pls.

                  Comment


                  • #54






                    Quote Originally Posted by BG76
                    View Post

                    This is a joke, right? Gretsch guitars are nothing like what they were in the mid-late 50s. Sure, Baldwin made some crap but FMIC has hit an all time low.




                    Rose colored glasses my friend. The Baldwin era Gretsch stuff was worse IMO than the Norlin era and CBS era Gibsons and Fenders. I'd much rather have a MIJ Gretsch from today. As far as the ultra-high end USA stuff, it's probably THE best stuff Gretsch has ever made - or right there with it insofar as build and materials quality.








                    I thought it funny the author of the article didn't mention Cheap Trick with Hamer but if anyone has ever played a REAL Hamer (Danzig years) they're killer - much like a real Gretsch, BC Rich or Jackson.



                    No doubt. Pun unintended. But still, I agree with what Pewt and Tim pointed out. Fender bought Kaman, which included Hamer. Hamer wasn't the main reason Fender bought Kaman, and the business strategy and climate, along with Hamer's troubles, were already in place when Fender bought them. I suspect Kaman would have had to drop the line eventually too - it's just not selling; a lot of that is for the reasons erksin pointed out. If there was interest in them, and if they were selling, then it would be a different story - but those guitars (true Hamers and budget Hamer branded import models) have not sold well for quite some time.



                    It's sad to see a once-respected brand going the way of the dodo, and I agree it's a bummer, but I don't think it's fair to set the blame entirely at Fender's feet.
                    **********

                    "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

                    - George Carlin

                    "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

                    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

                    "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

                    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

                    Comment


                    • #55






                      Quote Originally Posted by BG76
                      View Post

                      This is a joke, right? Gretsch guitars are nothing like what they were in the mid-late 50s. Sure, Baldwin made some crap but FMIC has hit an all time low.




                      Rose colored glasses my friend. The Baldwin era Gretsch stuff was worse IMO than the Norlin era and CBS era Gibsons and Fenders. I'd much rather have a MIJ Gretsch from today. As far as the ultra-high end USA stuff, it's probably THE best stuff Gretsch has ever made - or right there with it insofar as build and materials quality.








                      I thought it funny the author of the article didn't mention Cheap Trick with Hamer but if anyone has ever played a REAL Hamer (Danzig years) they're killer - much like a real Gretsch, BC Rich or Jackson.



                      No doubt. Pun unintended. But still, I agree with what Pewt and Tim pointed out. Fender bought Kaman, which included Hamer. Hamer wasn't the main reason Fender bought Kaman, and the business strategy and climate, along with Hamer's troubles, were already in place when Fender bought them. I suspect Kaman would have had to drop the line eventually too - it's just not selling; a lot of that is for the reasons erksin pointed out. If there was interest in them, and if they were selling, then it would be a different story - but those guitars (true Hamers and budget Hamer branded import models) have not sold well for quite some time.



                      It's sad to see a once-respected brand going the way of the dodo, and I agree it's a bummer, but I don't think it's fair to set the blame entirely at Fender's feet.
                      **********

                      "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

                      - George Carlin

                      "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

                      - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

                      "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

                      - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Please Hamer Don't Hurt 'em
                        My avatar is Lars, no one has PM'd me.

                        Pedal store (for EU dudes especially):
                        http://www.custom-sounds.com

                        Music:
                        http://www.myspace.com/internationalspacecenter

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Please Hamer Don't Hurt 'em
                          My avatar is Lars, no one has PM'd me.

                          Pedal store (for EU dudes especially):
                          http://www.custom-sounds.com

                          Music:
                          http://www.myspace.com/internationalspacecenter

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I mean, let's be honest. Hamer guitars are not really a good fit for our current guitar aesthetic. Maybe they will be one day again but I can't see someone taking a hamer on tv and it fitting in unless maybe they're in a pop band.
                            www.shoepedals.com

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I mean, let's be honest. Hamer guitars are not really a good fit for our current guitar aesthetic. Maybe they will be one day again but I can't see someone taking a hamer on tv and it fitting in unless maybe they're in a pop band.
                              www.shoepedals.com

                              Comment


                              • #60






                                Quote Originally Posted by V
                                View Post

                                I mean, let's be honest. Hamer guitars are not really a good fit for our current guitar aesthetic. Maybe they will be one day again but I can't see someone taking a hamer on tv and it fitting in unless maybe they're in a pop band.




                                To a degree, the same could be said for BC Rich, Jackson, Charvel and Dean. Pointy guitars still have legions of fans, but they're not nearly as popular as they once were.
                                **********

                                "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

                                - George Carlin

                                "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

                                - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

                                "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

                                - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X