DIY'ers: how long have you lurked/waited/loitered/check'd pawnshops

lefort_1

• Members

for that one, specific, impossiblt to find part?

I just scored 2, 8-pole National lapsteel pickup/bridge setups (must have been stripped from an old console model). I've been waiting for about 2 years, and I feel like I've been given the keys to the room next to the highschool girl's showers.

Sorry, but bitd I woulda killed for that.

...anyway....enough of my past.....how about yours?

Have you laid in wait for years? for just that pickup, just that chip, just that StarTrek Disc Gun?

Tell me abou tit.

• Members

With the Internet, most pawnshops charge/list an item for list price or what they go for a their highest on eBay.

I don't think I've seen any parts (of worth or interest) in a pawn shop, but if I do, it's usually over priced

• Members

if i'm fiending hard enough for something i'll just go out and buy it for whatever price. if its something i want and want to get a good deal on it i do it the 21st century way and just subscribe to some RSS feeds on ebay and CL and what not and wait for something to come up. much easier than loitering at pawnshops every day

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reauchambeau

View Post

in the 90's I use to spend saturdays combing the pawnshops downtown, scored pretty much any type of gear imaginable. the pre interent days were great for that, there's still some deals out there.

yup, i did it in Japan (lol) until about 2003/4..then they went up, and now the prices are coming down...

man, i remember bargain boxes full of $20 pedals, like guyatone and other mij lovelies. you know i bought em.

The store owners thought I was nuts like "why dont u want the US made stuff" ha.

I got to experiment alot, nowadays Im more satisfied...

• Members

Pawnshops still give up the good stuff. I've scored A LOT of killer stuff the last 7 yrs. Even with the internet, the clerks/Mgrs. are still TOO lazy to try to right the right value of the gear they get. I score a lot of their misfires. My last 2 in the last 3 months were a 2011 PRS SE 245 in 9 1/2/10 condition for $236+ tax. I also scored '96 Larrivee D-05 w/ OHSC for $207 +tax. Here are my greatest scores in the last 7 yrs.smile.gif

Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk II head $250

'74 Fender Jazz Bass Sunburst w/gigbag $64.64

'66 Fender Black P-Bass w/ OHSC $140.71

'79 Fender Butterscotch P-Bass w/ OHSC $260

'79 Fender Black P-Bass $ 180

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrentMpls

View Post

Those are some insane prices, did you know the year/model before purchase? Was major work needed on them? '74 Jazz for $65 is amazing.

I wasn't sure of the age,but I knew it was older than '75 cause the serial number was on the neck plate. I even tried them to come down off the $59.99 they were asking,but they wouldn't budge cause it had just come out. I said I'd pay full price and they were happy they didn't have to discount.wink.gif No major work was really need on any of these scores but intonation,setting up the action and some lite fret leveling.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Fiscal

View Post

I can lie on the internet too. cop.gif

If I lied about these scores, I'd be called out and have to provide proof of score. Right?

Well here's the proof.

'74 Fender Sunburst Jazz Bass :

Pawnshop receipt for '74 Jazz Bass;

Prom08-1-1.jpg

7402JazzBass002-1.jpg

'66 Fender Black P-bass:

Pawnshop receipt for '66 P-Bass:

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

See how number on above pawnshop sticker matches the number on neckplate. Verify the serial number on the Fender site and it'll tell you it's a '66

IMG_1876.jpg

I forgot one recent killer score a few months ago. It was my Larrivee D-05 w/ OHSC that I scored for $207+tax. These are $2000 guitars. Here's the pawnshop receipt:

2012-12-04_06-41-36_586.jpg

2012-12-04_06-36-15_706.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by skipstar59

View Post

Pawnshops still give up the good stuff. I've scored A LOT of killer stuff the last 7 yrs. Even with the internet, the clerks/Mgrs. are still TOO lazy to try to right the right value of the gear they get. I score a lot of their misfires. My last 2 in the last 3 months were a 2011 PRS SE 245 in 9 1/2/10 condition for $236+ tax. I also scored '96 Larrivee D-05 w/ OHSC for $207 +tax. Here are my greatest scores in the last 7 yrs.smile.gif

Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk II head $250

'74 Fender Jazz Bass Sunburst w/gigbag $64.64

'66 Fender Black P-Bass w/ OHSC $140.71

'79 Fender Butterscotch P-Bass w/ OHSC $260

'79 Fender Black P-Bass $ 180

thats just because no one cares about basses smile.gif but seriously, nice scores

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom

View Post

every pawnshop ive been in in the last 10 years or so had used prices higher than guitar centers new prices. they look up the original retail price, not the street price, and knock like 5% off. F that S.

my experience too

Archived