So, Is There Any Danger To Leaving A Pedal On Indefinitely?

• Members

I mean to the pedal itself.

For example, I have a ZT Lunchbox, and my lowbrow build Dirty Bomb clone on my nightstand. What if I just never turn the pedal off. Can this hurt the pedal? Or hows about if we take a break at practice (in our buddie's basement), go upstairs, get drunk, forget about the gear, and my board stays plugged in with a pedal or two on for a week... bad? If so, how bad?

I know people who feel that things are more likely to die if they're power cycled instead of being left on constantly. MTBF on most of this stuff isn't likely to come up any time soon either way, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. smile.gif IOW, I don't think it's a great idea to leave anything on when you're not using it / needing it again RSN simply because it's a waste of energy and money, but you're not likely to hurt anything by leaving it plugged in all the time. Whether or not the power adapter will like it is another story. It will also probably be fine - I've got some that have been plugged in for years for hours and hours a day that still run fine, but a few have died on me. If anything is going to die, my money is on that going out first. If it does, and the pedal doesn't have protection on the power input, it could potentially fry a few things in the pedal too. Again, IMO that's not terribly likely to happen if you only leave you pedals accidentally plugged in for a week or something...

I know people who feel that things are more likely to die if they're power cycled instead of being left on constantly. MTBF on most of this stuff isn't likely to come up any time soon either way, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. smile.gif IOW, I don't think it's a great idea to leave anything on when you're not using it / needing it again RSN simply because it's a waste of energy and money, but you're not likely to hurt anything by leaving it plugged in all the time. Whether or not the power adapter will like it is another story. It will also probably be fine - I've got some that have been plugged in for years for hours and hours a day that still run fine, but a few have died on me. If anything is going to die, my money is on that going out first. If it does, and the pedal doesn't have protection on the power input, it could potentially fry a few things in the pedal too. Again, IMO that's not terribly likely to happen if you only leave you pedals accidentally plugged in for a week or something...

• Members

Nothing 'should' happen ... but then, there are always exceptions. I dislike live circuits because electricity can act funny, depending on the age of the building, care taken by the person who wired it, dry winter weather (static!), etc.

I'm hardly Mr. Neat and Tidy w/my pedlols, but I do use surge protectors religiously and turn them off after playing. Not too hard to throw a couple of switches.

Archived