I need an acoustic treatment that works fast.. help?

ambient

• Members

Well not that fast, but on a budget.

Though we are moving next week to somewhere with a spare room. The catch is I can't make any holes in the walls - or else we'd have to re-wallpaper it before moving out.
I may get away with making so small covert holes.

I was thinking about attaching some glass wool to some trellis or something, covering it in fabric and leaning them against the walls at certain points unless I can find some way to hang them.

Anyone else done any acoustic treatment?

No egg cartons or mattresses though thanks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo

View Post

you could velcro or hang some acoustic foam/blankets on the walls ? what type of treatment are you doing? Are you looking to deaden the sound or to isolate the sound to that room?

Well isolating isn't a realistic goal, so control the sound of the room a bit for recording/mixing. I need to cut the reflections down quite a bit.

Velcro may be worth a look, though I'm not sure how I would attach the velco to the wall. It's this horrible textured plasticy wall paper that seems to be quite common in Japanese buildings so I don't think much would stick to it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo

View Post

you could velcro or hang some acoustic foam/blankets on the walls ? what type of treatment are you doing? Are you looking to deaden the sound or to isolate the sound to that room?

Well isolating isn't a realistic goal, so control the sound of the room a bit for recording/mixing. I need to cut the reflections down quite a bit.

Velcro may be worth a look, though I'm not sure how I would attach the velco to the wall. It's this horrible textured plasticy wall paper that seems to be quite common in Japanese buildings so I don't think much would stick to it.

• Members

Rockwool/Mineral wool/glass wool /whatever you call it where you are, sheets of it 10-15cm thick. I built 8 sound absorbing panels with 120x60x10 cm rockwool slabs, covered in fabric and stuck to a sheet of wood so I could have a hi frequency reflecting surface on one side only for times when I needed to liven things up.

The trick is to make sure you get the right density - the denser it is the more effectively it dampens lower frequencies.

Making a bunch of these and hanging them up on the walls strategically should do a good job of controlling the room down to a couple of hundred Hz, then maybe have some of those easy to find foam panels to control early reflections from the ceiling to the mix position.

For control of anything lower you'll need to make corner traps - basically make a bunch of rockwool triangles, stack them on top of each other, secure with cloth/ wood, and push them right into the corners of your room. You'll want the resulting trap to be about 30cm deep (ie the distance a wave travelling into the trap would have to travel before it reaches the corner itself). You could also tightly fold old clothes/ sheets and secure them in the corners, but the important thing is that it's permeable, dense as possible and in the corners.

Here's a picture of a bunch of my panels used to partially isolate my old AC30 (which gives you a good idea of scale). When they were pushed together it was amazing how quiet the amp was inside, so they do work.

recguitaramp.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus

View Post

Rockwool/Mineral wool/glass wool /whatever you call it where you are, sheets of it 10-15cm thick. I built 8 sound absorbing panels with 120x60x10 cm rockwool slabs, covered in fabric and stuck to a sheet of wood so I could have a hi frequency reflecting surface on one side only for times when I needed to liven things up.

The trick is to make sure you get the right density - the denser it is the more effectively it dampens lower frequencies.

Making a bunch of these and hanging them up on the walls strategically should do a good job of controlling the room down to a couple of hundred Hz, then maybe have some of those easy to find foam panels to control early reflections from the ceiling to the mix position.

For control of anything lower you'll need to make corner traps - basically make a bunch of rockwool triangles, stack them on top of each other, secure with cloth/ wood, and push them right into the corners of your room. You'll want the resulting trap to be about 30cm deep (ie the distance a wave travelling into the trap would have to travel before it reaches the corner itself). You could also tightly fold old clothes/ sheets and secure them in the corners, but the important thing is that it's permeable, dense as possible and in the corners.

Here's a picture of a bunch of my panels used to partially isolate my old AC30 (which gives you a good idea of scale). When they were pushed together it was amazing how quiet the amp was inside, so they do work.

recguitaramp.jpg

Sweet, that's kinda along the lines of what I'm thinking.

What method do you use to hang them up?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ambient

View Post

Sweet, that's kinda along the lines of what I'm thinking.

What method do you use to hang them up?

Ah, we used screws in the wall and brackets on the wooden backs, so that'd be no good to you. But, if they're tall enough you could just lean them against the wall and they'd be doing their thing. Ultimately to do their job the panels need to have some weight to them, and I don't know any way to reliably hang them from walls without damaging said walls, so I guess leaning them would be the only way.

Foam panels on the other hand you can probably blue tac or use double sided tape, they're very light, but only good for HF reflections

Archived