EHX Hog uses

thezeng

• Members

hey guys,
I'm struggling to use my HOG in a band situation. I'm not in a post-rock band, more sort of like a 90s guitar band - that may be the problem - but I'm kind of determined to at least try using the HOG.
Does anyone have any cool uses of the HOG they can chime in on, maybe some cool videos?

It probably is user incompetence though.. facepalm.gif

• Members

general octave work. Do you have the preset controller? When I had the HOG I had a preset that was just a filter sound and I used the exp. to control the frequency - like a synth filter.

Maybe freezing a note/chord. Do you play using gain/dirt?

• Members

general octave work. Do you have the preset controller? When I had the HOG I had a preset that was just a filter sound and I used the exp. to control the frequency - like a synth filter.

Maybe freezing a note/chord. Do you play using gain/dirt?

• Members

Don't have the controller, I should have got one a while back.. I think they're sold out now?

Yeah I do, almost to the point of saturation sometimes but I have a tendency to do that octave fuzz stuff which I feel is overdone nowadays.
But that seems like a good idea, I've got an expression pedal.

• Members

Don't have the controller, I should have got one a while back.. I think they're sold out now?

Yeah I do, almost to the point of saturation sometimes but I have a tendency to do that octave fuzz stuff which I feel is overdone nowadays.
But that seems like a good idea, I've got an expression pedal.

• Members

I love my HOG, and my POG2 (different boards). I find uses for them with my bassoon all the time. You, however, don't sound like the kind of guy that will get much use of it. A microPOG is sufficient for you, if you need anything like that at all. Octave fuzz at most I think.

But see, octave fuzz is not something I get much use out of, so it's a different strokes thing.

biggrin.gif

• Members

Try using the gliss mode, but only use the 'original' voice. Turn all the other voices down, including the dry output. Set the filter with the frequency at 5 and the resonance at 0. Place a fuzz pedal after it in the chain. Spend some time really getting the feel of the expression pedal and the timing.

• Members

Sweet, cheers for that guys. I only asked because I've had it for a few years and could never sell it when it came down to it as I've had too much fun with it. I suppose its just not meant to be for a band kind of thing and yeah square peg/ round hole {censored} for sure.

• Members

I guess I didn't want it to go to waste since I like it so much. idn_smilie.gif
I haven't ever used it before but I thought I would give it a good chance this time. I think the only reason I find it hard to sell is because I know it will be hard to find if I ever want it again.

• Members

Unless you're strapped for cash I'd say hold on to it, but don't try to use it in a context where it doesn't make sense. They're discontinued it seems, and who knows what EHX will come up with as a replacement if anything. It's a unique and versatile pedal and you will eventually find a use for it and you'll kick yourself for selling it. Unless, like I said, you're strapped and need the dough.

One of my favorite settings, by the way, is very subtle. I just add in a bit of the +1 octave to the dry signal and put it on the spectral gate function. I then adjust the LP filter to get a nice sparkle tone color, almost like changing your instrument's overtone makeup.

Archived